Decreased Power Bill on Downsizing

As I've commented a few times we've recently downsized .

Previous house - 7 years old . Brick veneer , 450 M2 . reverse cycle air-conditioning . 2 units . Many , many down lights . Poor light in back yard so often need to dry clothes in Dryer .

Electricity Bill always over 1500 but peaked at 2300 ... Per Quarter ..

New house ( actually an old house ) . Full Brick ,smaller , 300 m2 . No air con .Fans instead . Clothes line in full sun ,so rarely need to use Drier . More standard light configuration . We do have a gas heater , but no bill for that so far but used sparingly .

First Power bill $ 324.71 .....

I await the Gas bill with interest .

Cliff

Shouldn't kids play a factor on this?
Leaving lights on, long showers, keep the fridge open for prolonged periods... :D

Just check last quarter 2014.

Gas: $280 (8179 MJ)

Electricity : $723 (3271 KW)
Actual cost is reduced to $439 thanks to Solar Rebate

Cost seems high but we have 2 adults over 60s staying home the whole day + 2 adults + 3 kids under 7.

Shouldn't kids play a factor on this?
Leaving lights on, long showers, keep the fridge open for prolonged periods... :D

The issue , I think is kids leaving the air con / heating on for long periods with no consequences of the cost .

One recently ran up a $ 700 dollar phone bill . Don't think they'll do it again .

They're still having long showers ...... Maybe I should put a seperate unit in the bathroom , with a coin slot , so if they want a long shower , they pay ?

:rolleyes:;)

Cliff

Don't blame the kids alone.

I'm having trouble getting the grandparents to open the blinds instead of switching on a light!
I can't get them to close the door when the air-con is on.

I can't get my wife to iron cloths during off-peak time rather than during peak time. It costs 4 times more!

downlights,
architect pleasing, architecturally stupid,
housefire starting, inefficient,
stupid products,

12*55 Watt lights to provide the same light as one 13 Watt curly bulb

rant rant rant

Wow seech - that was a big bill - and an awful waste of energy.

What was the HWS at that time?

Unfortunately though, you are far from alone...

The amount of wasted energy out there is truly phenomenal!

It's sad how so many people who say how important it is to have cheap energy waste so much of it themselves.... :(

As I've commented a few times we've recently downsized .

Previous house - 7 years old . Brick veneer , 450 M2 . reverse cycle air-conditioning . 2 units . Many , many down lights . Poor light in back yard so often need to dry clothes in Dryer .

Electricity Bill always over 1500 but peaked at 2300 ... Per Quarter ..

New house ( actually an old house ) . Full Brick ,smaller , 300 m2 . No air con .Fans instead . Clothes line in full sun ,so rarely need to use Drier . More standard light configuration . We do have a gas heater , but no bill for that so far but used sparingly .

First Power bill $ 324.71 .....

I await the Gas bill with interest .

Cliff

That's a lot of wasted money $2300, the older style downlights, plus you add a older HWS,plus several AC units ,plus the clothes dryer then it all would add up,most we have ever paided was $840 and that was with six people and 5 of those are Ladies..

We have switched all dichroic down lights to LEDs at a cost of probably $1500 all up (from memory). I know we had one sparkie visit just over $1K and we have had others done as we make other changes.

Power consumption for LEDs would have saved us multiple times the cost by now of swapping.

$2300 per quarter is a massive power bill :eek:.

We did go through a process of trying to restrict the power use in the old house , but compliance issues caused my temperature to rise , so I needed to increase the air con in order to cool down and the increased alcohol consumption was threatening my liver ...:mad:

We've just bought one more IP and are about to make offers on another 5 .

The savings on our electricity will cover the short fall on all of those .....

Electricity .... 6 houses ....

Cliff

Sanj,

How much electricity can an iron use??

You would be surprised.....:eek:

(Synergy - Perth)

A1

1500W x 1 hour = 1.5Kwh @ 24.5961c /Kwh = 36.8942c

SM1 (Peak)

1500W x 1 hour = 1.5Kwh @ 47.4099c /Kwh = 71.1149c

SM1 (Off Peak)

1500W x 1 hour = 1.5Kwh @ 12.7360c /Kwh = 19.1040c

Add to that anything with........

Purely Resistive / Inductive loads and multiply by anywhere between 60 & 90 days billing + 45c / day supply charge + GST...........$$$$$

We did go through a process of trying to restrict the power use in the old house , but compliance issues caused my temperature to rise , so I needed to increase the air con in order to cool down and the increased alcohol consumption was threatening my liver ...

Commiserations See_Change

Psst.....it never stops....even when they're all "growed" up. My youngest (23) thinks nothing of walking out the door in the morning on her way to work and leaving anywhere between 0-15 lights on......was controllable while I was home bludging but now I'm working and she's always the last to leave...............ggggrrrrrrr.

But as I'm home first......I've been counting and calculating.....guess who's getting a bump up on her board......:eek:

12*55 Watt lights to provide the same light as one 13 Watt curly bulb

That just doesn't add up as the lumen output is about the same........:confused:

Ciao

Nor

Back