demanding tenants.

Once they are out they are out. Do you think they will then try and get back into the property if you haven't moved into it, but rent it out instead? Never heard of that happening.....

The problem with that is you then cant rent it out for 6 months, and I think they would use that...I mean anyone going to the tribunal over one light is certainly out to make life difficult. Besides they "love' the house and dont want to move..they just want cheap rent and everything done when they say so...which for important stuff is ok..The light is just..you put the rent up here is what you get for doing it....

I think they will complain BEFORE the move out..within the 60 days notice I give them

Just DO IT mate..... what's the worst that can happen ? When I evict, I give 60 days notice & no reason, there's no way they can argue with you if you give no reason.

And get a new PM, one that works for you & does what you want.

Sounds like that's the tenants problem, methinks .....

As Skater suggested, I think you need a new PM.

Cheers
LynnH

Does anyone know...If I did just give them notice AND they took it further what can happen as a result...If the tribunal did decide they could stay?

I can see that this is more personal rather than financial issue.
I'm not a sparky but I reckon it cost around $60 to get the transformer replaced.
However you might think that if you give him this one, they might demand more.

You always have options of the "friendly" way and the "not so friendly" way. Well first of all, I would explain and justify the rise of rent was due to the increasing interest rate. Right now, its pretty much you're the one who is covering their rent to the bank, as you still need to top up their rent to the bank so that they can stay there, and life is as hard for you as it is for them.

Most tenants think that all landlords own the property outright, greedy and make tons of money from their hard earn money.

Do explain that the more they demand, the more money we got to spend to maintain the property and eventually we need to compensate that from the rent, again as you still need to pay the bank. You do charge less than market value, in a hope that you get less headache from them.

Offer them $30 to get it replaced by himself and hopefully less demands from this time onwards.

If this doesn't work, the not-so-friendly way as described by other seems appropriate, as you seems to be reasoning with stone.

Don't bother trying to make the peace with them. They have shown their hand & it's not pretty. Just get rid of them (& the PM) & the headaches will go away.

I think I will get the light fixed wait 5 weeks and then give them notice to vacate....Look around for a new property manager and hopefully get better tenants..

This time I will leave it to the property manager and not get involved..well just to count the money..

I think I will get the light fixed wait 5 weeks and then give them notice to vacate....

This time I will leave it to the property manager and not get involved..well just to count the money..

Gee, I wouldn't even give them 5 weeks. I can see the following happening:

Another light in the kitchen blows
Toilet backs up
Tap washer needs changing
TV aerial not working properly
Etc, etc, etc...........

I am betting this tenant can find things to cost you money each & every week they are there. Remember if you give no reason, you still have to put up with them for another 60 days. So, add that to your 5 weeks & you have the pleasure of their expensive company for over 3 months. I hope you have deep pockets.

Skater, the problem I see is if I try to evcit them now, they WILL go to the tribunal and say I have given them notice because they are 'exercising their rights' . If I wait a few weeks then they will not be able to argue this. I feel as though I have no control at the monent and it is MY property but the regulations all seem to be about the tenants right.

If you read above about their rent history, you can see why the make me nervous. They have already rung consumer affairs about the light, and when their lease ended I was told we dont have to sign a lease WE KNOW OUR RIGHTS. All I want is for them to leave..( preferably yesterday)

I'd be fixing the light.. using the cheapest sparkie in the phone book since it's a small job.

Offering the tenant money to do it themselves could be an issue, if anything bad happens you could be in trouble. Also they could do some damage to your wiring, who knows.

Giving them notice could be nipping the problem in the bud, although it will cost you some money/time in the short run - in the long run you can raise the rent right up to market value for the new lease.

Skater, the problem I see is if I try to evcit them now, they WILL go to the tribunal and say I have given them notice because they are 'exercising their rights' . If I wait a few weeks then they will not be able to argue this. I feel as though I have no control at the monent and it is MY property but the regulations all seem to be about the tenants right.

If you read above about their rent history, you can see why the make me nervous. They have already rung consumer affairs about the light, and when their lease ended I was told we dont have to sign a lease WE KNOW OUR RIGHTS. All I want is for them to leave..( preferably yesterday)

Who cares if they take you to the tribunal?

It is YOUR RIGHT to remove them. As you say, it is YOUR PROPERTY. If you give no reason & wait out the 60 days, there is NOTHING THEY CAN DO, regardless of the fact that they seem to think they can bully you into whatever they want.

If it was me, I would be giving a reason. I would say that I need to move there myself (can't remember now, but I think in this circumstance you don't need to give 60 days). He can't prove that you are NOT going to move in, can he. After he is gone, your situation changed, & you have regrettably had to put it back on the rental market.

Startled,

What an aweful situation.
I have just read every entry on this thread. This is my input.

It seems to me that nearly all of us think you need to get rid of these tenants.
The way I read it: It doesn't matter what you do, stay or go - these tenants are trouble and they know it!(By the way -Your PM needs a kick up the ***)

1. I would not personally go back but send a friend in pretense as an electrician to change the light bulb.
2. Get the PM to issue a notice and with it a mention that any failure to vacate by the given date will result in court action.(which the PM handles and how is your rent cover?)
3. Hold tight on any unreasonable 'maintenace' they require until just before they are due to vacate- then send in one maintenace guy. They'll also have no recourse if it goes to court.

Good luck:eek:

I feel as though I have no control at the monent and it is MY property but the regulations all seem to be about the tenants rights.

Even though you've stated otherwise, everything that you've done, or more importantly not done so far, indicates that you have not read and fully understood the RTA. If you had....you wouldn't be having these "feelings" right now.

Hi startled,

How about you take off your skirt, put on some pants and just get done what needs to get done. Even though you've gotten many excellent suggestions from people who are far more experienced than you are with property, you still keep asking 'What do I do?'.

My suggestion - get rid of the victim mentality and just focus on getting them out using your legal rights as a landlord.

Mark

Startled

You can't afford to get 'hung up' or emotionally involved with property - your IP doesn't care who owns it or how you feel about it!! And getting stressed about sh!tty tenants leads to only one thing: ulcers.

These tenants sound like bullies - get rid of them ASAP!! Don't fret too much about whether they'll take you to the tribunal - you will probably find it is all talk and no action. Any if you have done everything according to the legislation, you should have little to worry about.

And for future SANF, for goodness sake, find yourself another PM (one who is competent) - and leave all the future tenant problems for him/her to sort out!

Cheers
LynnH

Startled, you sound like you are not cut out to be in the property investing business as you agonise over what may or may not happen.

There has been some excellent advice given which you would be wise to follow.

Petal..I can only by what consumer affairs has told me..... I think these tenants are nasty enough to take me to the tribunal if I dont do things by the book...

If I say I am moving in and I dont it cant be rented for 6 months.

To say it is renos..you have to be able to prove what is being done and that the house cannot be lived in at the time...

If you give the no reason clause, they can challenge it because of asking for things to be done..

I just want these tenants out..yes perhaps I am trying to be to fair...

my plan for now is do the light, waut a month and give them notice,

We had a tenant similar to this last year. He was all happy when he was getting his own way. When he didn't feel like following the rules (giving us proper notice to leave)he would threaten with getting a lawyer and saying he was going to sue.
We withheld his Damage Deposit for unpaid rent (told a little while to organize another tenant). He called up demanding his money, he was going to Tribunal.
We said certainly, there was still the outstanding balance of $75 we hadn't collected.
Never heard from him again.

Back