Deserving.......

Deserving​

I thought I’d mark my one thousandth post here on this great cyber community with a topic that has from time to time caused challenges for me and I dare say that others may also relate to. If it appears a bit left field, bear with me and see if it provides a perspective that may (confront) and hopefully lead to a belief change that may assist some of you on your journey forward; especially those who may feel “stuck”.

This is the topic of deserving. This is equally applicable to property investing, wealth creation, as it is to health, relationships or other social pursuits. Some of this will be hard yards for some to entertain, and that’s OK; it’s merely a perspective that has helped me and I am posting, in that, it may assist others with whom it also resonates.

I will use the word “we” to include myself and any others for whom this has been a challenge for. In making choices and decisions we sometimes do things that undermine our own success. Sometimes we need to unlearn a belief that we do not deserve better......that’s even hidden from ourselves, otherwise we may fall prey to self-sabotage and behaviours that keep us from achieving. :(

Often this part about “deserving” is difficult for our minds to grasp due to some of the negative/lack conditioning we have received in the past (even if well intended) from parents, teachers, loved ones and of course the mind viruses that are disseminated by the data sphere (media), etc. :rolleyes:

A lack of feeling of deserving may lead to low self esteem and cause us to do what we know may not be in our best interests, whether this involves unhealthy habits, un-wealthy habits or, behaviours that dis-empower our relationships (both business/investing and with loved ones). Time for questioning:

Do you limit your actions to have no more than the success you unknowingly believe you deserve and are comfortable with? Do you stop at a certain level of $uccess, health or happiness and go no further?

I know I have. In so doing, I have allowed myself to become unworthy. I was unaware that these beliefs were getting in the way of my actions. This, from a property investing and wealth creation standpoint, led (in my case and, it is well documented elsewhere in the interview section) to a large hiatus in my investing journey.......a decade. :( I had plenty of excuses, valid reasons (to my mind) and thus was shackled in “golden handcuffs” for a lengthy period of time.

Ask yourself this question and whilst you do, think of who you spend major time with; your group/family, work colleagues, etc., and if you are allowing them to hold you back.

Would it be OK if you kept making/achieving better decisions/successes one right after the other? Or, would a parade or succession of better decisions and outcomes take you too far down the road to prosperity or happiness..........and thereby detach you from the group/herd? It did for me. I was validating my lack of taking further action because no one in my circle was where I was financially, let alone where I had desired to be. So I was on cruise control for 10 years or so. To paraphrase a metaphor, I was the passenger and, not the pilot........trouble was it was at a lower cruising altitude than I had aspired to.

Sometimes, the world we grow up in often encourages us to deny ourselves better......Better than what?........Better than other people?...........Who do you think you are?.......I heard it all, and then some and, repeatedly. The syndrome of harvesting tall poppies was afflicting me until I chose to believe and associate otherwise. Love your family and choose your peers.

The point is that it’s not better than others.........we need to “run our own race” and “play our own game.” It is better than what we are doing or achieving for ourselves. We should strive to be better than “we” used to be. There is a saying that “if you’re not evolving, you’re dissolving”. If you’re standing still, by default, you’re going backwards as the world and life passes you by.

A tree doesn’t stop growing half-way and declare.....”that’ll do.” It grows as tall as nature intended it to and so we should also be everything that we have dreamed, desired, intended and have the potential to be. We deserve to be the best that we can be for ourselves and then for our loved ones and others we choose to assist, empower and become role models for.

We often get the result$ that we unknowingly believe we deserve. IMO the key to success and consistently making better decisions/actions in any endeavour is to consciously choose to believe that we really deserve better and act on that belief. We need to ignore the dream stealers and the nay-sayers. :cool:

I love these words from Marianne Williamson:
("Our greatest fear" from her book 'A return to love') as spoken by Nelson Mandela in a famous speech.

"Children may be afraid of the dark, while the adult is afraid of the light. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light , not our darkness, that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of god. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make and manifest the glory of god that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Don’t drive or live life with your brakes on (or park like I did). Don’t slow yourself down believing you deserve to merely survive rather than prosper. Don’t accept “half way results” so that others don’t become intimidated.
We should never allow the opinions (or lacklustre desires) of others become our realities. Other people will always create our world too small.

Beliefs are like a jacket, we can change them at will. If old beliefs don’t serve us, then we can change them. Change happens very quickly (often in an instant)........ it’s deciding to change that takes time..........some of my decisions took a decade.

I hope this has offered a different perspective on deserving. It is not intended as advice, merely my opinion and example of what hindered my journey. The distinctions I’ve outlined above have helped me greatly, not just with wealth creation and investing but also with other aspects and challenges in my life.

That concludes my millennial rant. :)

I salute you, Michael !

Your 1000 th post is well worth another read and I will forward on as well.

Keep up the great inspiring stuff you continually feed us.

Thoughtful 'brilliant' post.

Sometimes we get sidetracked from where we planned to go because we took our eye off the ball.

PS. Tried to give you kudo's for post but have to spread it around instead.....

Best wishes
Sheryn

Nice post Player.
There would not be one person on this forum that could'nt take something from that.
Kudos.

Boods

PS. Do you feel "older" now you have reached the big 1000?:D Look forward to the next 1000!

Deserving​

I will use the word “we” to include myself and any others for whom this has been a challenge for. In making choices and decisions we sometimes do things that undermine our own success. Sometimes we need to unlearn a belief that we do not deserve better......that’s even hidden from ourselves, otherwise we may fall prey to self-sabotage and behaviours that keep us from achieving. :(

Thanks Michael I needed that.

Last edited:
Hiya

perhaps borrowed from either Nelson Mandela or Mother Teresa, but I think I understand your point around the tall poppie.......which isnt native to Australia either........must be an import

ta
rolf

A very nice post Player...

My take on it is that there are an awful lot of people who are very deserving of more than they have, such as all the kids out there living in poverty with no chance of a decent education...

There are also lots of rich people out there who by comparison are not at all deserving of their assets. The reason I point this out is that I find it helps greatly to completely dissociate the concept of deserving from the concept of money or wealth.

Money often comes with emotional tags / baggage in our own minds such as the one you refer to. But it is in reality nothing more and nothing less than a medium of exchange. Acquiring more of it is just a cold, methodical process of applying proven principles (such as spending less than you earn...) throughout your life. If you do those things you will be wealthy - whether or not you deserve it is completely irrelevant - it has no bearing on the outcome for any of us!

As Bill.L says pretty often in these forums - money is just the creation of man - the amount of it we have only depends on what actions we take to acquire it...

Thank you Michael.

I understand what Hi Equiity is syaing, but I think Player was trying to go a bit "deeper" than that..

It's the thigns Player's talking about which stop you form methodically following those steps etc.

I got a fair bit out of it

Hiya

perhaps borrowed from either Nelson Mandela or Mother Teresa, but I think I understand your point around the tall poppie.......which isnt native to Australia either........must be an import

ta
rolf

Apparently borrowed by Nelson, though the ANC cannot find any reference to it in his speeches (according to dub-dub-dub), heard it for the first time in a Peter Spann audio, great quote ;)

My take on it is that there are an awful lot of people who are very deserving of more than they have, such as all the kids out there living in poverty with no chance of a decent education...

There are also lots of rich people out there who by comparison are not at all deserving of their assets. The reason I point this out is that I find it helps greatly to completely dissociate the concept of deserving from the concept of money or wealth.
I agree; I've also used this approach to try and reduce "abundance guilt". I'm not super-wealthy relative to most Australians, but I'm acutely aware that I am super-wealthy in a world context (as are most of the people reading this).

I used to feel guilty about it, but then I got rational and realised that my being guilty about my good fortune doesn't serve anybody, either. I now tend to think of money in a similar way as many environmentalists think about the Earth: we don't "own" it; we're temporary custodians who use it in the way we think best. I don't think of the money in my bank account as being "mine" in an absolute sense; rather, it's money that I can decide where to direct. When I spend money, I don't lose anything, I'm simply redirecting a resource. :) Like sunlight, there'll be more of it tomorrow.

Now I think that my moral obligation, with regard to money, is to have control of as much of it as possible, because I know that I'd direct a good portion of it towards sustainable improvements to the living conditions of the world's most disadvantaged. :D

.......As Bill.L says pretty often in these forums - money is just the creation of man - the amount of it we have only depends on what actions we take to acquire it...

Agree Hi Equity,

"Money is plentiful for those who understand the simple laws which govern its acquisition".....George Clason and I would hasten to add, actually ACT upon such knowledge.

Wisdom comes from the application of knowledge. In and of itself, knowledge is potential power.....we still need to "flick the switch" to get the light ;)

A brilliant post...a wonderfully brilliant 1000th contribution..

Learn and Unlearn

Application of knowledge...yep.

The sound bytes I play are pretty constructive, in a good place, has notso always been, takes a bit to figure out you actually have a light, let alone switch it on.

Thanks Player, great read, and pure gold.

Michael, you just reminded me that I was gonna write something deep and meaningful for my 1000th but it recently whizzed over unnoticed. Now I will have to wait a year or two for number 2000. :D

You know I am going to keep tabs on you now to ensure that you continue to practice what you preach.

Keep up the inspiring posts mate. :)

It's an interesting phenomenon that people think they need to hold back, to not stick out and do better than those around them.

It's in our culture to be brainwashed to not want to be rich and be a pain; to be a poser etc. Of course; it's a myth that to be better and larger than life means you should be that way.

So, you learn to under-achieve to a degree so you can fit in.

Screw that.

Why?

I was one of those people who was sort of brainwashed; destined for a life of "battling" and being "normal" and not stand out, but I never really accepted that. Why live a life of less when you constantly see people living lives of more?

Me; I much prefer being the person who can help others from getting ahead, getting the knowledge and passing it on.

There is nothing more rewarding than acquiring an expertise in any field - money, sport, some type of industry or profession, a business etc, and then being able to pass it on by way of being a mentor, or a good employer providing a nice workplace for staff, or teaching a bunch of kids or adults a skill.

I now employ staff. Most are not rich, or well off. But, I can provide them with work, a nice work environment, a fun place to be and hopefully pass on a bit of financial knowledge along the way to maybe help them get free.

By being a person who over-achieves and excels, or simply does well; you provide yourself the opportunity to enrich the rest of the world, make it a better place for them - as well as for yourself.

Some may not like your progress because they are jealous or feel inadequate etc. This is their problem.

But most people - I have found - love to be helped and encouraged to do better by those who have done better if they bother to try and help them.

Me; I much prefer being the person who can help others from getting ahead, getting the knowledge and passing it on.

There is nothing more rewarding than acquiring an expertise in any field - money, sport, some type of industry or profession, a business etc, and then being able to pass it on by way of being a mentor, or a good employer providing a nice workplace for staff, or teaching a bunch of kids or adults a skill.

Marc, there is wisdom in dem words. And deserving will flow easier for those who take action on these thoughts and words. Like the past threads on think and grow rich - one needs to think, act, and then deserve whatever comes according to the volition behind the thought. I feel that this volition is the key to the deserving and you have obviously a selfless attitude in the above instance which will bring you the rewards - both spiritual and financial.
The Buddhists call it Karma, Christians say you reap what you sow, not sure how the muslims or other sects say it - but you get my gist.

Deserving, I feel, flows from past and present thoughts, words and actions. I don't feel that one can merely change ones destiny by suddenly believing or thinking that one deserves more than one has been getting.

It's been some time since this thread surfaced.

As I came across the following link of an interview, I thought it may add to the topic of deserving and some deep seated limitations we may have (I acknowledge that I do from time to time) on self esteem, guilt and other negative self sabotaging beliefs :(

http://www.enterprisingspirit.com/prosperity.html

This may not be for everybody. It's rather a long read. Foster Hibbard was an associate of Napoleon Hill for those familiar with "Think and Grow Rich." Some of the concepts are a little left field and may be too abstract and fluffy for some and, that's OK; It's fantastic that everyone of us is different as he also points out in the interview.

I hope there is something in there that may resonate with most of those who read it and spark an idea to perhaps shift perspective to more empowering viewpoints.

Enjoy :)

Back