Detroit: Before and After

Some interesting pics.

Exter_2009-620x279.png

Exter_2013-620x279.png

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-then-and-now-photos-from-google-street-view/

(inb4 OMG HOLDENS WILL DO THE SAME)

There were also some amazing photo's re: who won the war looking at Japan and the US

BURN the movie/documentary was also good, it's an award-winning, action-packed film capturing a year in the lives of Detroit firefighters

I lived near Detroit in 2003-2005 and it was slummy back then. Its gotten "worse" due to the arson of the abandoned houses.

It could be the sort of properties being sold to overseas buyers, sight unseen.

Very true.
I think it was Cash Flow Capital BA in Australia, sourcing properties for next to nothing for clients in these areas and I know a few Aussies that got burnt with this stuff. They moved onto Austin Tx.

This is fact, I read an article where a re agent advised that when viewing a property in Detroit make sure have a gun...... nice place to live am sure.:eek:

Most of these properties sold to o/seas investors in Detroit will be duds, some sold for as little as $10,000 probably have back taxes.

Foreclosures in most of USA have risen substantially over the last 2-3 years, getting close to original prices sold in 2007 prior to the crash.

Don't believe this is the case in Detroit, I hope no one on SS purchased in Detroit, bad news if they did.

Hmm, not sure of those photo's tell the whole picture. If you look at the right hand side of the before photo, those 2/3 houses are already burnt out and vacant, seems like the other houses are just following a natural progression, it may not have had anything to do with GFC.

Detroit Population continues it's decline

The Incredible Shrinking City: Detroit's Population Falls To A New Low -- 688,701

The rate of decline, though, has slowed to an average of 7,500 per year since 2010, compared with 24,000 per year in the 2000s, when the city lost nearly 25 percent of its population between 2000 and 2010. Still, the continuing losses do not bode well for Detroit's revenue needs in the post-bankruptcy era.

Detroit last had fewer than 700,000 residents before World War I, as its population soared from 465,766 in 1910 to 993,678 in 1920 during the early years of the auto industry boom. From 1920 to 1950, Detroit was the nation's fourth largest city; in 1950, it fell to fifth largest. Today, it ranks 18th.

According to official U.S. Census counts at the beginning of each decade, the city's population peaked in 1950 at 1,849,568, but experts believe the number continued to climb to almost 2 million by the early 1950s, when it began what is now a 60-year decline, as white residents moved to the suburbs and jobs disappeared on a growing scale.

Here is the decade-by-decade figures since then:

1960: 1,670,144

1970: 1,511,482

1980: 1,203,339

1990: 1,027,974

2000: 951,270

2010: 713,777

images

Detroit, aka Motor City, has been going downhill for a long time as the U.S. car manufacturers have been moving their manufacturing offshore and the industry itself is slowly dying. It doesn't have anything else.

Overseas buyers has nothing to do with Detroit heading the way it has. The only thing overseas buyers have done is line the pockets of shysters who saw an opportunity to make a quick buck off people too lazy and/or stupid to do even a modicum of research.

It boomed big. The decline was steady, but rapid.

The big difference between Detroit and a lot of our mining towns is that the size is magnitudes apart.

BR

Detroit, aka Motor City, has been going downhill for a long time as the U.S. car manufacturers have been moving their manufacturing offshore and the industry itself is slowly dying. It doesn't have anything else.

Overseas buyers has nothing to do with Detroit heading the way it has. The only thing overseas buyers have done is line the pockets of shysters who saw an opportunity to make a quick buck off people too lazy and/or stupid to do even a modicum of research.

Sounds like Melb.... oops, should I have said that??? Joking of course, no comparison

Detroit Population continues it's decline

images

Population figures like these don't tell the whole story unless the area that they cover is clearly defined.

Do they include just a historical council or county boundary or are they the whole metropolitan area including suburbs?

If the former it's not uncommon for the inner areas of a city to decline in population while the suburbs grew. This occurred in Australian cities for many decades up to the 1970s/1980s when inner city living started to become fashionable again.

Now the most demographically stagnant areas of our cities are established middle suburbs with many elderly people who will remain in their large homes until they die and NIMBYs who will resist densification. Hence fastest growth is in the CBD areas and outer areas where high-rise is more accepted or there is no heritage architecture to protect.

Australians use population figures of cities to refer to the whole metropolitan area. Whereas other countries might not. Hence we should be careful how we interpret foreign figures.

Hi Spiderman

Check out BURN - The Detroit Firefighter Film A documentary about Detroit told through the eyes of firefighters

I watched it a while back and they talked about the large population decline (I thought they said 1/3 of the city). You also get to look at the firefighters going down the streets and discussing the vacant and/or burnt down buildings in the streets

With all the vacant buildings it's a pyromaniacs playground

Detroit has more fires than any other city in the country. The filmmakers provide some harrowing statistics of how fires in the city have gone up nearly 300% over the past few decades, yet the number of firefighters has decreased by more than half.

Amazing city, pity you still have some spruikers promoting property in the vicinity still. The place is stuffed - still a nice GM building in town.....

I took some amazing shots in some of the roughest areas.

Spent a few days with the locals, from drinking at a pub to attending a house party....nothing better than meeting the real people of Detroit. One interesting discussion was with a police officer, who earns $16 an hour to risk his life on a daily basis.

Fact is the centre of detroit is stuffed however, many of the locals moved out of Detroit and there is an improvement in 'outer' neighbourhoods.

I'll never forget a bar called CJs, 99 cents for a pint and some of the craziest MF you will ever see. I was the only white fella, and pretty much everyone had a concealed weapon. Hilarious. Oh well, I love Detroit, such a pity what has happened to it. Will be there next year for a visit.

Cheers, Ivan

Dallas

Aaron

I am in Dallas 4 times a year. I have looked at many properties. The biggest problem now is large property companies are building block after block of rental apartments. Renters move into the new apartments, stay for two years then move on to the next new block.

I have watched the rents decrease as more and more blocks are built and less renters want to rent the older ones. Almost all allow pets, not just small dogs either!

Frisco, Texas, where I stay is going ahead so fast. The Cowboys are now moving their headquarters there.

Chris

Back