did i get hit with a special levy?

Hi All,

Quick question regarding special levies:

On my latest statement from my property manager - there was an item for ~$1000 for "repairs and maintenance to the common property". This is on top of the regular contributions.

When I queried this my property manager advised that it was a special levy and its my responsibility to chase it up with the strata.

This is the first I've heard of any special levy. What are my rights here and how do I proceed? I don't want to pay for something that I had no visibility or approval over.

Thanks in advance.
-j

Do you attend your stata meetings and read the minutes? Usually special levies are decided/approved at the strata meeting and then this will be recorded in the minutes.

Was it from your Property Manager or the Body Corporate? Two different bodies. If it was from your Property Manager then they cannot do that and I wouldnt pay it; if it was from the Body Corporate, then they certainly can and frequently do!

Was it from your Property Manager or the Body Corporate? Two different bodies. If it was from your Property Manager then they cannot do that and I wouldnt pay it; if it was from the Body Corporate, then they certainly can and frequently do!

Unless they have authorised to have all outgoings to be deducted from the rent.

Dajackal, you would have been asked to vote on the issue - so a voting form would have come with a letter from your owner's corporation / body corporate. See it pays to open those ;)

As Alabex said, it will be in the minutes of the body corporate.

If you buy a unit, you really MUST take note of what is happening with the building. You will be sent voting papers to have your say if you can't attend the meetings. Read all papers carefully and take note of the minutes which will be sent to you after each meeting.

Better yet, attend the meetings if you can. It is a great way to get to meet other owners in the complex and possibly work things out on a personal basis. We owned a unit in a block of 8. Original car accommodation under the building was fully enclosed (brick) with individual tilt-a-doors. Over the years some had been partitioned off except for 3 - and we owned the middle one! Hubby went to a BC meeting and by chance said he was considering the expense of sectioning ours off, which involved two walls. A man spoke up to say he owned one of the adjacent car parks and was happy to go halves in the wall. Others commented that the third carpark was owned by an "ar****le" who would never contribute, so we went ahead. We paid for one full wall and one half wall, which increased all our values beyond the cost.

You own part of the entire structure so anything that goes on in the complex is reflected in the value of your property.
Marg

Thanks All for your wonderful replies!

-my property manager included the bill from the body corporate but wouldn't elaborate on what it was for

-i haven't received any meeting minutes or voting forms from the body corporate. did my property manager not forward on the letters or does the body corporate have my old address?

I'm waiting for a call back from the strata manager. Hoping to clear a) what the charge is for and b) why i haven't been included on any communications

Either way, it looks like I'll need to pony up :(

Much appreciate all your replies :)

Ok, so as Buzzlightyear has said, you have authorised your PM to pay your outgoings. Unless it is directly related to tenants repair issues, I prefer to deal with these myself. I even found one PM was charging me GST on top of things like Council Rates! Put a stop to that pretty damn quick. This charge sounds like it is for a special maintenance job; maybe the lift needed replacing etc. Every BC bill also has a sinking fund which is put aside for future repair/maintenance issues.

-i haven't received any meeting minutes or voting forms from the body corporate. did my property manager not forward on the letters or does the body corporate have my old address?

That's probably it - they may have sent out the details to your 'old address', which is why you might have not received the correspondence.

Another lesson learnt! That's happened to me as well, but for council rates, and they aren't as forgiving with their late interest fees!

unbelieveable!

if you don't attend the strata meeting you don't get a copy of the meeting minutes. you have to call up and request for a copy to be sent to you after the meeting.

~$1000 was my contribution towards tree pruning, carpet replacement, and guttering, etc. etc.

sucks that I don't get to benefit from it at all :(

hopefully the CG will make up for it :)

thanks everyone for your supportive and timely feedback!

When you bought your unit notification should have been provided to the body corporate.
I suggest you contact the secretary immediately to ensure your address is correctly shown on the records.
That way you will be notified of meetings, receive voting papers and minutes.
Marg

Back