Did you take enough action in 2003

Did you take enough action in 2003 in regard to IP investment?

• Yes. win lose or draw I took action!

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • No. I should have done more than think about it.

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • No. But <insert excuse> [SIZE=1][i] eg. prices too high, interest rates up, washing hair that day,

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
Thanks Kieran.

I'll have a crack at that when I get a chance.

Over the top - no, just very thorough.

Anyone on this forum has alreday done more than most. I figured by having ANYTHING written in terms of a plan put me in a smaller percentage again.

"If you plan for nothing, you most likely achieve it"

I see your point on LVR. I'm not used to dealing with LVR's that low..... lucky you !

I had fun in 2003 - based on that I'm happy :)

Renovated three places (don't want to work too hard), lightened the deadwood in the portfolio, net worth increased by heaps, found, bought & moved into dreamhouse (renovations yet to be completed), wrote two books, settled kids into new schools (doing well), formed a number of new friendships & renewed some old ones, built several good business relationships (nurturing), identified some new business opportunities (in progress), got a new PC (yah!!!), planned 2004 and finished the year with a huge celebration (at the Woodford Folk Festival)!

Now I'm just lobbying the UN to upgrade years to 18 months so I can fit in everything I want to do next year :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Guys,

The other thing to remember is most/all of us did SOMETHING!!! whether it be we bought more IPs, got rid of some poor-performing IPs, re-structured our assets, finetuned our loans, gained more knowledge through seminars and workshops, reduced our non-deductible debt, ....

THAT IS MORE THAN THE MOST OF THE OTHER $20 MILLION AUSTRALIANS DID IN 2003. Take a bow, Forumites.

Originally posted by kierank
THAT IS MORE THAN THE MOST OF THE OTHER $20 MILLION AUSTRALIANS DID IN 2003. Take a bow, Forumites.
Hehe.

There's not too many $20 Million Australians (20 Million perhaps...)

Originally posted by geoffw
Hehe.

There's not too many $20 Million Australians (20 Million perhaps...)

geoffw,

I was calculating my net worth and somehow I inserted that in the above post :D :D .

If only ...

You're right, it should read 20 million Ozzies

Well, 2003 was the year that I started on this path so I'm extremely happy with it! I discovered Jan Somers' books, website and this forum. I listened and learned a lot from many of the very knowledeable people here. And I bought my first IP ...

So, yes I took action and I'm looking forward to learning heaps more both from the people here, and from the realities of owning an IP and meeting the problems that will inevitably come up with that. 2004 should be really interesting ... :)

2003...what a fantastic year....

went to 2 very good investment training seminars, strata titled a block of units and a duplex, renovated one unit, bought another block of 5 units, sold one unit, contracted land for my first development and worked out my husband can retire in 5 months (he is now trying to see if I can squeeze that down to 3!)
Woo hoo !!

I also discovered this website which has been so inspiring and supportive in my passion for real estate. Thank you everyone. With my limited experience I still hope I can contribute in some way to the treasures in this site.

2004? I can't wait.

KK - you are obvously a detail man - I would love to see your format you follow for risk management!!

Make your own luck !
Carolyn:)
PS That makes it a definite ,yes, I was happy with the action we took in 2003.

Originally posted by Carolyn
KK - you are obvously a detail man - I would love to see your format you follow for risk management!!

Carolyn,

You are probably right. Probably come from being in the project management business - risk management, of course, is a part of project management.

I am also a numbers man but that is another story :D :D

Seriously, I find that if I plan something in detail it becomes believeable; this results in me actioning the plan. Then, if things don't go exactly as planned (things rarely do), because I have the detail, I know where I went astray and I know what the corrective action is.

Mental Note for Oneself - stop treating one's life like a project - next I will be forecasting the project end-date and I may not like the forecast :D :D

I preferred to invest in my business last year as returns in Brisvegas were not suitable to me. I am looking at development sites now, we'll see what 2004 brings.

Due to the strong investor interest over recent times my Property Management department grew alarmingly, we came second to Ipswich for highest growth last year. This gives me good returns and high capital growth.

Keiran - Your plan is outstanding, congratulations and well done. Having a clear plan and most of all having it in writing will help you see it clearer and know what you are aiming at. With such clear vision you are almost guaranteed success.

I have just returned from Coolum Bch where I have been on holidays. Whilst I had an opportunity to relax and look at my plans I almost completed my business plans for 1,2 and 3 yrs. I will finish them this week now I am back at work. It is exciting to put down on paper your thoughts, share them with your team and then regularly analyse them to see you are on track.

A couple of thoughts on plans. John McGrath told me last year your plan should be as little as possible, 1-2 pages at most for each section (for want of a better word), which is exactly as you have done. Point is, it doesn't have to be a novel, keep it simple. He believes if it is too large you will not review as often as necessary. Yours seems clear and precise which is great.

Another one is have a photo of your goal and put it somewhere each day where you will see it and will remind you of what you are making sacrifices for. For many people the fridge is a great place, Justin Herald of Attitude fame had a car he wanted on his fridge. I have various sayings and messages that inspire and motivate me in my shower ( I'm a lousy cook and never enter the kitchen:D ). Ever since I have done this I have found my day has much more purpose and my mindset is clear from the start. It works for me.

Wishing everyone a prosperous 2004.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Originally posted by Carolyn
2003...what a fantastic year....

went to 2 very good investment training seminars, strata titled a block of units and a duplex, renovated one unit, bought another block of 5 units, sold one unit, contracted land for my first development and worked out my husband can retire in 5 months (he is now trying to see if I can squeeze that down to 3!)
Woo hoo !!

I also discovered this website which has been so inspiring and supportive in my passion for real estate. Thank you everyone. With my limited experience I still hope I can contribute in some way to the treasures in this site.

2004? I can't wait.

Make your own luck !
Carolyn:)
PS That makes it a definite ,yes, I was happy with the action we took in 2003.

Hi Carolyn,

Could I know which 2 very good investment training seminars you went?

Thanks

Richard

Yes I took action in 2003. Compared to previous years a tonne of action, however I don't deem it to be enough action. Its not that I'm negative about my efforts, its a belief that I can always achieve more. I think this is a trait of successful people, the belief that they can achieve more motivates them to achieve more.

Hi All

I took action last year and am now in the process of working through how my plan/strategy should be adapted in line with changes in market conditions and based on the knowledge that I have gathered over the past 2 years.

My action so far has been in my opinion fairly unplanned and pretty much by accident.

Having bought my first property in March 2002 and second in April 2002, I then spent most of 2002 reading lots of books and talking to lots of people about there experiences.

In 2003 I bought 6 more properties which I guess equates to a property every 2 months. There was no specific plan in mind that I sat down and wrote to say "I would acquire x properties in y timeframe", the plan was mostly financially based, whenever I could afford a new property I bought one and I used a quickly growing market and high cashflow to do this.

Two of the initial properties were bought off the plan which has meant I have had two properties growing even when I didnt have the mortgage to pay or the income coming in using deposit bonds, and have successfully settled on one in February 2004 and expect to do the same with the second one due next month. I also renovated two of the properties to generate additional equity in the properties which has been done mostly from a project management point of view, so I guess you could say, I didnt really get my hands dirty.

All of the properties are a mix of cashflow positive and high capital growth potenital properties so I neither favour any particular type of investment.

Over the last few months I have been trying to work through what my plan of attack will be over the next few years. In this market it is probably not going to be viable to use OTP any further (particularly given the fact that most of the market have caught on to the use, and developers are now building future capital growth into the purchase prices leaving investors to assume more of the risk rather than the converse). Renovations require time and effort and profits can be eroded if most of the work is not being done personally. My thoughts are the answer lies in larger scale projects like developments, buying a block of units to renovate, or buying in undeveloped suburbs. This combined with actively investing in Shares via a broker will probably be sufficient to get through the next 2 years.

Determining what the next steps should be in a changing market is a difficult one but a challenge. What has worked for the past two years, may not necessarily work for the upcoming two years. I have not hit the finance wall yet, but can see that I will hit the wall very soon, so I have to work out ways to manage this risk as well as possible interest rate rises, which overall I am not overlly concerned about either risk, I see that solutions are available to mitigate these risks.

I commend Always_Learning and KeiranK for going into detail about their specific plans, I would agree that they reflect very careful consideration of what they are hoping to acheive and are based over timeframes that span 10 years, well done for both of their acheivements. It would be great if others like Investor who have indicated that they have taken action, that they go into even just a bit of detail about what action they have taken. Simarly with Saucy Gibbon who has taken action but thinks that not enough action was taken, some of the reason why he/she thinks that this is the case.

The only goal I have really set is to reach the millionaire mark in the quickest possible timeframe and am continually monitoring my current portfolio and new decisions to purchase against the following metrics:
1. Return on capital must be immediate or at least payback period in the very short-term

2. The Portfolio must be neutrally geared or at least require less than 10% of my employment income

3. My current Savings must equal an interest rate rise of at least 0.75%
LVR must be between 80% and 90%

This strategy in total should allow me to quit full-time work at a future point in time to free up time to pursue other interests.

Did I take enough action? I would agree with Saucy Gibbon, that I probably could have done more. Instead of buying a propery every two months I could have probably bought 1 a month but lacked the experience and knowledge to know that that's what I could/should have been doing, I also could not guarantee that the OTP's would rise in sufficient enough value so that Capital Growth would exceed the Purchase costs so was quaranting some funds to use if needed.

So in a effect my high level plan fits onto half a page and the supporting detail similar to what KeiranK has prepared sits more behind the scenes.

So am I ready to take action in 2004? Well yes, but definately in a more cautious and planned way than I have been in 2003.

Cheers

Corsa
[/COLOR]

Bump

Great thread.

Only 4 months left to complete your 2004 story...

I'm looking forward to posting my story :>

Cheers,
WaySolid.

Back