Difficulty in Burleigh Heads

Have a unit in Burleigh Heads that has been vacant for the last 5 weeks - located up on the hill in residential area (ie not holiday let). Have had about 6 prospective tenants through.

Have dropped the rent after 2 weeks and the PM has advised that price is not the issue. I know the GC market is pretty shot at the moment but this is way longer than it has been vacant before.

Is the market that bad or should be trying something else - ie new PM?

Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on alternate PMs..

Thanks!

Have you walked through it?
Made sure its clean, no bad smells. Damaged stuff that looks crap?
Just a paint job can make an old place look 100% sometimes.

Note no idea where Burleigh Heads is so forgive me if its a brand new area.

Jacer4 would appear to be in SA and the unit is in Queensland. A walk through won't be easy.
Maybe someone here who lives on the GC would fancy a stickbeak? We all like to look inside properties and give opinions.

Defiinately post a link to the ad, could just need a bit of a spruce up online! Sometimes that is all it takes. If your PM has been a good PM then it may not be a change of agent will do it. Remember it is getting colder and therefore harder to lease many places as people do not want to move in winter! What time of year has it been vacant previously?

I'm not sure how the market is going up there but in VIC I have noticed a slightly slower turn around on the high-end rental properties....not as long as you've described but that could be normal for the area your property is in at the moment.

You've also mentioned 6 potential tenants - did any of them apply? If not has your PM followed up with a phone call to them for any feedback as to why they aren't submitting their application? Quite often the feedback you get from people who have looked at a property and not applied is priceless and could point you in the right direction.

If the agent said the price is not the issue, what are they saying IS the issue?

My brother lives in Burleigh and recently advertised (word of mouth) a granny flat and he had DOZENS of people ring him up wanting it. It's on the hill near West Burleigh shops.

Agree with others- look at the add. If need be I can get my brother to call round to look if you like. Maybe there are issues with the state of it?? PM me if need be.

Really appreciate everyones feedback. This is a new agent as the previous one was doing things like not paying the council rates and then sending on the late payment fees - though they did usually find tenants within a week or two!

As depreciator mentioned, we have some challenges managing from Adelaide, however a couple of rentals we have in Brisbane (for the last 8 years) have been no problem as the agent is well known to us and good performer.

Any feedback on the ad would be appreciated and if anyone wanted to look and give us feedback on the unit/agent that would be great. Comments to date are the the unit is a bit on the small side for some..

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-burleigh+heads-405158719

Hi, I just had a look at your unit via realestate.com and also took a look at the others available. First thing I noticed was that the other units for $340 - $350 per week seem to have a second bathroom, carspace for two cars or are located closer to the beach (although not all). I think I'd be pricing yours in the $320pw category. Also, to be honest, the pics make the place look dark and dingy. Ask the PM to take some fresh pics in the middle of the day with all the blinds/curtains open and lights on too - this can make a huge difference. Good luck.

Any feedback on the ad would be appreciated and if anyone wanted to look and give us feedback on the unit/agent that would be great. Comments to date are the the unit is a bit on the small side for some..

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-burleigh+heads-405158719[/QUOTE]

Firstly - a beautiful property. With regards to the ad? I would try it with some photos of it vacant - this can really show the size of the living spaces and show off the beautiful flooring. With furniture in the photos often properties look smaller than they are. Also, perhaps some shots of the places which are nearby and mentioned in the ad?

IF you still have no luck after the re-jigging of the ad & photos then it may be time to drop the price, do it $5 at a time. You will be amazed how much difference $5 can make!

Hi, I just had a look at your unit via realestate.com and also took a look at the others available. First thing I noticed was that the other units for $340 - $350 per week seem to have a second bathroom, carspace for two cars or are located closer to the beach (although not all). I think I'd be pricing yours in the $320pw category. Also, to be honest, the pics make the place look dark and dingy. Ask the PM to take some fresh pics in the middle of the day with all the blinds/curtains open and lights on too - this can make a huge difference. Good luck.
Just on the photos point.

Agree 100% about good photos and would suggest considering getting professional photos. Not expensive and can be used in the future when needed.

Hi, I hope it's okay to give a renters point of view. I think it looks lovely but the photos with the furniture (especially the brown dining setting) do make it look small. I would be really impressed by all that cupboard space in the kitchen..perhaps you should mention it in the ad rather than "well appointed kitchen".

Some empty home professional photos would make all the difference.

That view is also lovely - and I think it should be the first photo too.

A white wall (rather than that aqua) would make a huge difference to overall brightness. The floor boards are really really nice.

It does look like a nice unit - I hope you find tenants soon :)

I'd also like to know! Was the PM happy to organise new pics? How much did it end up letting for? How long did it end up taking to let? etc. Come back and let us know!

Regards,

An A-grade sticky beak :D

Back