Digital Camera Recommendations

My brother has a Sony 6MP which I love - but one thing to be careful with if you choose Sony - then it's Sony everything! If you already have devices in place that aren't Sony and don't want to spend extra $$, I'd stay away - Sony is a one size fits Sony brand!

Cheers,
Jen

Yes, that's very true! why do you think we rae looking at another Sony? :)

Has anyone else got the Pentax Optio? I've loved mine and haven't had a moment's problem with it over the past three years. I'm not a high tech user, though!

Cheers, Medine

Quote: "I HATE my Cannon digital camera - it doesn't have a rechargeable option, so you can only put batteries in, within 30 seconds, the camera is dead - it sits in my bottom drawer unable to be used as it dies as soon as you turn it on, even with brand new batteries."

It sounds like you were using normal AA batteries with your camera. :eek:

Digital cameras consume a lot of power to do all sort of things, from booting the circuit board, zooming the lens, flash lighting to displaying the giant LCD screen.

Traditional batteries like Ni-cad and Alkaline won't last on these beasts. You'll need high-powered rechargeables like Lithium Ion or Nikel Metal Hydride.

Canon offers two ranges of products: The lower spec (like the A-series) using the AA batteries and the expensive range (like G-series, Pro-1, Ixus and SLR) with Canon rechargeables.

The AA NiMH batteries are inexpensive nowadays (around $5 for one 2300mAh NiMH) and are available from most major supermarkets and electrical stores. :)

Has anyone else got the Pentax Optio? I've loved mine and haven't had a moment's problem with it over the past three years.

I have the Pentax Optio S4 - I have also had it for about 3 years and love it still. The main reason I bought it was the size - it can easily fit into my pocket to take anywhere.

I would love to buy a SLR, something like the Canon EOS, to combine with my small Pentax for when I want to take serious good quality images.

I bought an EOS film camera in about 1998, but now its pretty much useless - who wants to use film now? :eek:

Hi all,

Ive also got a pentax optio about 3 years old, not sure of the exact model number as its buried at the bottom of a drawer somewhere, its an absolute piece of rubbish! Extremely slow to take a pic and the last straw was when it somehow deleted half of the pics on the memory card:mad:

Ive got a kodak camera about the same age its been great, really simple to use and quality of pics fantastic.

If i was shopping for a camera presently it would have to have a rechargeable battery and be at least 9 mega pixels as pics taken with the good old nearly extinct 35mm films were/are of a 9 mega pixel equivelent.

I've got an S3is, I got it about 3 months ago.

Absolutely loving it. Does full auto mode, for when i feel like doing simple point and shoots, but also has a whole heap of presets, and well as pretty much full manual mode.

It gives me a lot more opportunity to extend my abilities and try new things.. I spent a few days down the coast, and tried to do some night shots.. needless to say they didn't work, but it wasn't somethnig I could even have tried with some other cameras.

I was considering going the DSLR range, but i knew it'd be an endless spiral of money.. and i'm better of starting this way.

6MP, 12X optical zoom, 4x digital zoom
should be able to get it online for sub600.

I have a Fuji Finepix 9500- 9MP, 10 times zoom. Though that's a little above your price range, especially was you will want a bigger memory card than what is supplied (which only has room for 3 pictures!).

The S5500 takes 4MP, and is in the range.

I get about 150 pictures on 4 AA alkaline batteries- the Bunnings cheapies, $10 for 25 batteries. I don't take many flash pictures though (so to speak).

I really like the big zoom range.

You may want to check out rechargable batteries- especially those with fast chargers. It's an upfront expense which may pay for itself, depending on how many photos you're likely to take.

We've had the 5500 for about a year and its a fantastic camera. While travellign in SEA taking photos all the time - some with flash (dark interiors) it lasted 3 weeks on rechargeables. Sent recharger homw with SO and then used AA (good quality ones cant remember which) - lasted a week on normal batteries - taking lots of photos. Very bloody impressive especailly as the whole world has AA batteries for sale. The rechargeables are the cheapest option - but if you need a spare set the e2 (non rechargeable) came out best for digital cameras in a consumer survey (in NZ) recently

Hi All,

We have the Panasonic Lumix FZ5 and it is just great. Great lens, good speed, excellent zoom (X12 optical), rechargeable batteries, etc etc..
The newer model (FZ7) comes with all the bells and whistles that the FZ5 does, but it has better video capturing capabilities and a larger LCD screen at the back.
It is very well priced at around $550, especially when you can throw in a few bonuses like a larger memory card and stuff...;)
here is a link, if you're interested:

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displayproduct/1980695_1005965_.html

I would not go for the pocket type models, as they are fairly limited in zoom capabilities and usually just over-priced.

Good luck.

Quote: "I HATE my Cannon digital camera - it doesn't have a rechargeable option, so you can only put batteries in, within 30 seconds, the camera is dead - it sits in my bottom drawer unable to be used as it dies as soon as you turn it on, even with brand new batteries."

It sounds like you were using normal AA batteries with your camera. :eek:

Digital cameras consume a lot of power to do all sort of things, from booting the circuit board, zooming the lens, flash lighting to displaying the giant LCD screen.

Traditional batteries like Ni-cad and Alkaline won't last on these beasts. You'll need high-powered rechargeables like Lithium Ion or Nikel Metal Hydride.

Canon offers two ranges of products: The lower spec (like the A-series) using the AA batteries and the expensive range (like G-series, Pro-1, Ixus and SLR) with Canon rechargeables.

The AA NiMH batteries are inexpensive nowadays (around $5 for one 2300mAh NiMH) and are available from most major supermarkets and electrical stores. :)

Thanks Kenster - we just kept putting in the same batteries it came with - I can't even remember what they were as it's been sitting in my bottom drawer that long! But I believe they must have been AA - as we bought about 10 different brands thinking maybe that was the problem, but no luck. The camera I believe was A-series - can you put the rechargeables in them?

Cheers,
Jen

Back