Dirty tenants

I have just done a 6 monthinspection on one of my properties with my property manager.
The place is a pig stye. I understand I can't tell or judge how people live, but GS comes on the back of a previous tenat that left the place in a mess and cost me a lot of money.

When I expressed my frustration with the property manager, she became agitated and started telling me that I can't tell people how to live. I reminded her who she worked for and this inflamed the situation.

My question is. When is dirty too dirty. As I said the place is a mess with belongings strewn all over the place and stacked up in one of the bed rooms. The stainless stovetop is covered in grease and stains. Dirty dishes all over the place and dishwasher is overflowing.
Carpets are filty as are the 2 bathrooms.

The out side is no better with junk everywhere.

Garage is full of crap.

The whole place has a nasty smell to it.

Any ideas on what I can do. Don't want necessarily want to kick them out as they have your children etc, but don't want to see my property being neglected either.

You need to find a PM who has the same cleaning standards as you. If they can't have property reasonable once every six months imagine what it's like in between! Usually the messy ones will move on if they have someone onto them to keep cleaner.

Change PM's

We've had good results with PM's who only do management ( not associated with selling agent ) especially if it's in a distant area eg interstate .

Cliff

My question is. When is dirty too dirty. As I said the place is a mess with belongings strewn all over the place and stacked up in one of the bed rooms.

This would not bother me. Sometimes my own house can look like this :D. I'm waiting for David Attenborough to come and film? surely my son's bedroom is the scene of an upcoming archeological dig? :eek:

The stainless stovetop is covered in grease and stains. Dirty dishes all over the place and dishwasher is overflowing.
Carpets are filty as are the 2 bathrooms.

The out side is no better with junk everywhere.

Garage is full of crap.

The whole place has a nasty smell to it.

This underlined bit is of way more concern and to be honest, I agree that your agent needs to be sacked if she thinks this is acceptable. It sounds almost like they have a hoarding "thing" happening.

Any ideas on what I can do. Don't want necessarily want to kick them out as they have your children etc, but don't want to see my property being neglected either.

If it is as bad as you describe, then I would get them out. Maybe don't kick them out but don't renew the lease. I'm not sure if that might mean you have more trouble than issuing them notices and getting them out on a breach, that is what a good PM would be able to advise you on. I'd change the PM for one that knows her job and start the ball rolling.

If the place has filthy carpets, greasy stoves and stinks, I reckon the damage might already be done and you might well have another costly "fix" when they vacate.

Yes this is really very poor. But some people do live like this. They usually dont' have full time jobs but always say they are too busy to clean up.. especially (I've found) they don't like cleaning up after their feral children.

Soon you'll have plumbing issues. I absolutely feel for you. Have seen this with owner occupiers too, so its not solely a tenant thing.

Your PM is not upholding their side of the deal. Insist on more. I'm not sure the options available will give you total satisfaction, but a greater attempt needs to be made between what the tenant thinks is appropriate and what you deem acceptable.

Does you RTA state something about tenants are required to keep the property in a reasonable standard of cleanliness?

Our does (Canada).
On one occassion we had to give notice to a tenant to give because the property was close to the 'hoarders' on TV...we inherited this tenant.

If the lease is close to ending, the easiest is just not renew.

Like Wylie mentioned, there is a difference between messy and dirty. Messy I will tolerate, dirty I won't.

As above messy and dirty are very different.

For instance, my lounge room is constantly messy as I have a toddler that throws toys all over the place.

The rest of the house is clean, neat and tidy.

Going into properties on a daily basis means you get used to the mess, and you know when a line has been crossed. Dirty clothes, a few dirty dishes and toys lying around is to be expected.

Caked on grease, marked walls, built up soap scum and mould in the shower, cobwebs etc. is dirty and needs to be cleaned up.

In QLD, the website lists a lot of fact sheets. One of them clearly states that the premises must be kept clean. We always directs our tenants attention to both the tenant pack which they are given which sets out our expectations, as well as the fact sheets which back up our position. I agree, having items out of place is one thing however clean is another.

A lady I work with always leaves a little note for the tenant after inspection.

It advises the tenant the they are required to clean certain areas of the house if required. Main problems tend to be bathroom screens, bathroom tiles, toilets and window tracks.
Thing is if these items aren't cleaned they can cause damage, and make it impossible to get the property up to the same condition as when the tenant moved in.

So yes its quite a legitimate request asking the tenant to clean.

Maybe you need to speak with the principle of the agency to advise of your feedback and concerns.
If they don't treat your concerns as serious and take some action, probably best to find a manager who does, before it's too late and damage gets done.

Back