Disintegrating Bricks

Anyone had any experience with disintegrating bricks? I looked at a house today approx 20 year old and most of the bottom row of bricks are damaged. Also noticed the same damage at the brick mail box.

I have never seen this before.

If there are any builders on the forum I would like your advice.

Thanks from

Kinga

That is a sign of salt damp. The morter between the bricks goes first then the bricks themselves. Lighter bricks like the cream ones are more susceptible than darker ones but they all fall appart eventually.

Thanks Xenia for your reply.

The mortar is still intact, just the bricks are deteriorating. I imagine over time the weight of the brick above will crack the mortar and collapse into the hole below.

That is a sign of salt damp. The morter between the bricks goes first then the bricks themselves. Lighter bricks like the cream ones are more susceptible than darker ones but they all fall appart eventually.
Does it spread? i.e, to the other bricks.

How is this remedied? I'd imagine the affected bricks (and mortar) are just replaced. Matching the exact colour of bricks and mortar would then come into play as well,

Regards
Marty

It's called spraling, it is caused by dampness, as was said before white bricks are more prone to it. It can spread as the dampness rises but takes a long time in most cases. It should be able to be cured by a injected silicon product, generally costs around 100 a meter.

Thanks James & Tools.

I have done an internet search on spalling and this appears to be the problem. Looks like the only solution is to replace the affected bricks. The cause either by dampess or inferior bricks. It is hard to determine how many more bricks this will effect over time.

Ruled with my head, this house is no longer under consideration.

Hi kinga.

I wouldn't have a clue how much something like this would cost to repair BUT.............., if you can get an approx idea from someone qualified, you can possibly use this as a bargaining tool in negotiating a better price on the property.

Of, course, if it seems too much work/effort and/or you are considering another IP then the move on option is always available.

Regards
Marty

Hi Kissfan

I have already moved on. Still looking at some other potentials. This spalling is something I will definately be on the lookout for in the future. I usually am more concerned with cracking in brick walls, so generally have a good look around the outside of houses. This is the first house of have seen with decaying bricks.

Anyway, you learn something new everyday.

Thanks

Kinga

I wouldn't buy a house like this.. masonry relies on the mortar being softer that the bricks. If the bricks are failing they probably aren't good quality. Especially after only 20 years!

cheers
Pulse

Back