disk back up

Hi all,

Why is it so hard to save my HDD to an external HD??

I have tried XP backup and i have tried using dvd's with nero (which just will

not work for me) and i have tried snapshot and ghost.

I can remember using MSDOS and you could simply copy c:a: eg just copy

one disk to another. Why is it that whatever i try i never seem to be able to

completely mirror from one to another!

Anyone got anything that completely and simply gives me a complete copy of

my HDD???

help

rossv
computer moron

Norton Ghost is useful for creating an exact duplicate of your hard drive. Usually used for moving to a new, larger HDD, but can also be used for backups (bit like using a sledgehammer to push in a tack though).

I use Casper to do the full copy backup to a removeable hard drive, which keeps the hackers away, they haven't found a way to creep into my hard drive and out and onto the top shelf of the desk, not yet anyway. :rolleyes:
cheers
crest133.

Backup

Ross,
I have always used Norton Ghost. I find it very easy and effective. Tis good piece of mind too to know that image is sitting on a spare drive or petition.
JIM

am surprised you haven't had success with ghost. it is pretty bullet proof. maybe you need to RTFM and find out whether your edition of ghost supports your hardware and external drive.... earlier editions wouldn't support usb drives that weren't recognised by the bios...etc,etc,etc

a program I have used for years is Bootit NG (BING), fantastic features, but is a little unintuitive....is a multiboot, multipartitioning, drive/partition copier.

forget XP backup....tis full of undocumented issues....as is burning to dvd's....best to copy full partitions....though if you only want to copy data, I use XP backup auto scheduled....just be sure to use a password when you logon, otherwise the scheduler won't work....another undocumented windoze feature....

Back