Dispute with neighbour over airconditioning unit

Give council a quick call on Monday and see what the regs are regarding minimum distance from boundary for aircons ... then get the damn thing moved to comply and be done with it.

If you only have to move it the half metre, then fine. Let your neighbour know what is happening and that you are complying with legislation. Ask that, if they want it moved to the other side of the house, would they be prepared to pay half due to the extra cost.

Regardless of what you might think - inside with your aircon running and the windows all shut - even a "quiet" aircon cutting in and out all night is disruptive to sleep. And sound travels at night much further than during the day so doesn't have to be "right under his window".

Doesn't matter who installed it, and when, it is a problem you have inherited and have to deal with.

I just don't get this - we all live with neighbours, many on small lots, what is it with this "bugger them, this is my territory" thing. Why can we not try to get along?

I agree with Lizzie on this, and you should move it onto your own property. I also agree with Sheryn that if the neighbours wants it moved totally to the other side, and assuming it is NOT at a noise level that makes it illegal (you can get that checked easily), then I would be asking for some contribution to the cost of moving it (which will cost a bit).

Of course, if it is too noisy, you have no comeback at all and might have to change the unit.

Friends of ours had neighbours complain of the noise where it was installed, made a big fuss, had decibel readings done and forced them to move it to the other side. Same thing happened on that side and they moved it a second time.

It was checked and they found out it was a unit that shouldn't have been used for a house, and was too noisy anyway.

Have a talk to the neighbour about timelines of moving the unit and get it done.

However, do leave a report of the threat of malicious damage with the police (requesting no action st this stage) just in case something happens in the meantime.

If the air con unit is roof mounted and overhanging the neighbours property by 400mm wouldn't the roof be too?

Or if the unit is mounted right on the eaves how have they the done ducting in the roof cavity, surely there wouldn't be enough room. Also, with the weight of the air con I wouldn't think they'd be enough structural support in the eaves to safely hold it up.

Back