Distance ??

Hi All,

One of WA IP's has a Power Sub Station being built a distance of about 1-2km away from it; is there a web-site that gives an accurate measurement of distance "as the crow flies" from point2point?

Hi Redwing,

Can't help you on the website thingy, I'm hopeless on that kinda stuff.

Can I enquire why you ask ?? Shall you be promoting your IP as being only 1-2km from the power sub-station, hence a reliable power supply to the premises.....assuming of course you view this as a good thing ??

Western Power approached us two years regarding one of our corner sites and the conversation went something like this ;

WP : We've been waiting to buy that site for 4 years.
Me : Really ??
WP : Yes, and we've just noticed that it's gone through the title transfer office.
Me : Yes that's right.
WP : We weren't aware it was for sale.
Me : It's not anymore.
WP : Are you open to a reasonable market offer ??
Me : No - that's what we just paid for it.
WP : But we can't pay more than market value for it.
Me : Plus stamp duty, plus I've just cleaned 30 tonnes of cr*p off it.
WP : We are forbidden from paying over market value.
Me : Do you want to rent the site off us ??
WP : No, we must buy the site.
Me : Why ??
WP : Regulations.
Me : You mean you need to send it further up the line for authorisation ??
WP : No, we cannot rent.
Me : Oh well, nice talking to you.
WP : But we need that site. It's the only one large enough to handle the facility.
Me : OK.
WP : and it's in the middle of 3 suburbs
Me : OK
WP : and it's got 2 street frontages, we need that too.
Me : Sounds like you need the site.
WP : We do, but we must buy it.
Me : Goodbye.

The same clown called me up again 18 months later and said we really need your site, it's the only one bigger enough and we desparately need to build it now to service the surrounding 3 suburbs. I said "Mate, you said that 18 months ago, but now you're too late, I've rented it out for 6 years".

We'll wait for the existing leases to run out and then approach them. They'll have had a good sweating by then and be ready to negotiate I'm sure. If they still won't rent, we'll lease it out again to other corporations and Western Power, along with the three suburbs, can all go whistle Dixie for all we care. How's that for unethical !!!

I get the feeling everyone hates power sub-stations....I must be different from most people cos I love 'em.

I've found it's reasonably dark and cold and quiet without them.

Hi Dazz,

Don't want to be blowing smoke up your ****,:eek: but it might pay to check on their powers of compulsory acquisition first.

Even though a lot of supply authorities are private entities these days, they may still retain the right to acquire as required.

( seen this happen in Vic many times with the five different companies over there...........)

ciao

Nor

Redwing,

Google can do that.

Click on tools, then measure, once you get the area up you are looking at.

Thanks Rixter

Google Earth I presume (haven't put it onto this machine yet but good to know about that function).

Thanks Anrke,

Worked a treat

Hi Redwing,

Can't help you on the website thingy, I'm hopeless on that kinda stuff.

Can I enquire why you ask ?? Shall you be promoting your IP as being only 1-2km from the power sub-station, hence a reliable power supply to the premises.....assuming of course you view this as a good thing ??

I get the feeling everyone hates power sub-stations....I must be different from most people cos I love 'em.

I've found it's reasonably dark and cold and quiet without them.

Just for interest sake Dazzling, always good to have answers on hand.....I'm a font of useless information ;)

The web-site (s) will come in handy when looking at distances to other points as well from various properties

Last edited:
Agree with Rixter, I find Google Earth absolutely brilliant when it comes to looking up sepecific properties, and working out distances etc.

Back