Dixon homes ?

Was wondering if I could get some feedback about Dixon homes, such as there quality and building time etc?

We are looking at building a 4 bed 2 bath 2 garage , house size will be about 25 to 27 squares.

There used to be a Dixon Homes in the old HomeWorld in Kellyville, They seemed to have a very good product however I just googled it and couldnt find the same company. I did find a Dixon Homes that was all over A Current Affair from unhappy clients.

Also check out

http://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/general-property/4325080
http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/may/23/homeowners-frustrated-dixon-homes-delays/
http://au.truveo.com/Dixon-Homes-Express/id/1960751746

Looks like they are a franchise so your going to need to find out in which franchisee the bad reports are about

hey, I am living in a tamawood house. It was built in 06 for $120k all up, base price $95k comfort range, about 220sqm.

They were pretty good, fast and there weren't any problems after completion.

However, their prices have gone up loads and they have placed way too many stupid restrictions on the comfort range forcing you to pay more for the higher range eventhough the stuff in comfort is quite nice already. They're just really strict, it's ridiculous and they always act like they're so busy and don't need your business. For odd shaped blocks, they are reluctant to make minor structural changes which means you can't build with them unless you pay for the top of the range one.

Look at what you get....coral and stylewise, even plantation are competitive with their special offers atm.

Tamawood used to be a budget builder but now we don't have any true budget builders left in QLD. once you addup all thecosts with tamawood, it's comparable to other builders. Another thing is that their site costs are always a few $$$ more expensive. Prices like rendering, site costs, patio and rain water tank can vary quite a lot between builders.

Run Run as fast as you can. A girl from work just moved in to her 3 bedroom house, 14 months after the slab was layed.

I thought Dixon and Tamawood were part of the same organization - when we get junk mail brochures, Dixon are featured in the front of the brochure and Tamawood in the back.

Cheers
LynnH

what Letiha said - run away so far it hurts...

there are a number of folks on this forum who are waiting to have their homes finished a year after the promised delivery date.

they are possibly the worst volume builder I have ever come across...

yes they are cheap - but you really do get hat you pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

run...run away...run far away!

I thought Dixon and Tamawood were part of the same organization - when we get junk mail brochures, Dixon are featured in the front of the brochure and Tamawood in the back.

Cheers
LynnH

they are...Dixon is generally regarded as the cheaper arm...there are a couple of other companies in the same group as well that aim for the higher end...still crap though!

Urban - actually, tamawood is regarded as the cheaper arm and dixon the more expensive.

I have a lot of experience dealing with them. They're not that bad. Built my house in about 15 weeks. I'm really happy with it. Backthen, you were allowed to make structural changes and upgrades but not now.

I still have a lifetime $1k voucher from time but I'll never use it coz I doubt I'll ever build with them again.

They're getting a lot of work out in the Ipswich area. Ppl building new H+L packages for $250k and flogging it for $350k+.

They have a lot of consultants and I reckon Harry Nichols is one of the best.

opps, got it the wrong way around...

but the statement stands. drive out to carseldine/bald hills. there are around 10 houses in the estates there that I know of that aren't finished yet and have been on the go for around 12-18 months.

same further out...their reputation is in tatters amongst the building fraternity. Their tradies are often amongst the lowest paid in the industry and most of the guys I know that have worked for them will never go back...

but each to their own opinion - I truly am so glad that you had a good experience with them - because I know so many that haven't.

cheers
UC

I used to work for them in admin. Hmm, I can relate to the Current Affair video's, looks like they haven't changed.

Last edited:
have built with them a few times out in stanwell near rocky they pretty slow in hervey bay house completed in 4 months just depends on the franchisee and how busy they and other tradesman are

I really don't understand how builders can take so long coz the longer they take, the less money they make and the longer they get paid.

When I built with them, invoices came very promtly as each stage was completed and that's the way it should be.

It also boils down to the project manager and how good he is at his job. Arranging the tradies, ensuring that they're ready to start at each stage, if one thing gets held up, often the whole job will get held up.

I can't believe my 5br, 2 living area house cost $95k and a contract price of less than $120k only coz the soil here's bad. In their comfort range, besides the fact you only get 4colour schemes to choose from, the other inclusions are quite good.

Can u believe it was actually $500 cheaper for colourbond roof? when other builders charge a few$k for colourbond roof upgrade. It also included S/S appliances, S/S dishwasher, tinted windows (very rare do builders inc this), solar heating panel, lever door handles (upgrade with coral), and flick mixer taps throughout (upgrade with coral).The colour schemes are not too bad though, there's one nice wood laminate you can use for kitchen. The others are horrid old fashion peach and blue colours. It was actually quite good coz only took us 15 mins to do the colour selection. Our only upgrade was overhead cupboards, gainsborough doors and rendering to the front of the house.

I have personally seen a house being build by Dixon Homes and it is a mess. The owner has made contact with various media to document his plight. They are simply turning a blind eye to the obvious problems and dragging the matter out until the client gives in due to the financial strain.

As a builder I would be ashamed to deliver a house to their standard in this particular case.

They may be cheaper however, it shows in the quality of workmanship that they deliver. Most tradies that work for them are inexperienced and unsupervised. The pay rates are also lower than the industry standard which means tradies need to work faster to make a reasonable profit. This leads to many short cuts, some of which can effect the long term integrity of the dwelling.

If one is to persevere and still use such a company I would recommend that you employ an independent quality control officer who is a licensed builder to carry out regular inspections at each stage of the construction. Once this is completed to a satisfactory standard then you can authorise payment. This quality control is normally the job of a supervisor however it appears that they may not have the right number of suitably qualified professionals given the documented problems they appear to be having.

dixon homes not wotrh the trouble

The Chermside Sales Person told us that they had pre-approved the plans and that we would save us $10,000 because of the changes in the energy ratings next month. What they didn't tell us that we didn't save anything, infact we were cheated out of the 1.5kw Solar System which was included at no extra cost in the price list the following month. There would be not one tradesman (If you could call them that) that worked on the house who is worth the money they were paid. It took Nearly 12 Months to build, Cost of $360,000.00 + , The bricks are fair, The doors don't close, The windows are all wobbly, stairs creak, the solar hot water only just started working 3 months after hand over, as for "European Appliances", Hotplate and Oven was made in Italy the Dishwasher was made in China and the only thing close to European was the name on it. It sounds like a hose inside a 44 Gallon Drum. Dixon Homes supervisors were a joke, They didn't know what was going on and didn't know how to fix a problem. The electrician they had as a sub contractor was the biggest rip off charging in excess of $3000 for small additions also connected the power from the street in the middle of the house and wanted to charge another $1000 to move it to the side of the house where it should have gone in the first place. The Kitchen contractor charging an extra $3500 and now the benchtops are lifting. The plumber was the cheapest at $450 for 2 extra storm water pipes and I supplied the pipes. As for the tiler, he used 90% sand 10% concrete for the bathroom tile bed in the showers, needless to say the tile grout is all cracking and who know what else. The Gyprock installers decided it would be a good idea to put their used soft drink cans in the steel frame wall before gyprocking. On Cleanup before hand over the bobcat got stuck in the mud after it was removed they left a 2 mtr hole where the bobcat was. The reason I know all this is I lived next door while it was built. If you are thinking of a cheap house pay a little extra it will be worth it in the end. Dixon Homes tie you up in their contract. get a flexible contract from a builder you can trust. Forget these cowboys Anyone giving possitive comments about this company is either I friends of Dixon or work for Dixon.

One more thing I just found out is the Dixon Homes owns most of the companies that supply the house fittings tap, dishwasher etc

Dixon homes advertised widely in Brissy south, 2 storey on 405 m2 block for $500K more or less. Always wonder where's the profit, if the block costs $250K, the house $200K to build.

Last edited:
One more thing I just found out is the Dixon Homes owns most of the companies that supply the house fittings tap, dishwasher etc

Dixon homes advertised widely in Brissy south, 2 storey on 405 m2 block for $500K more or less. Always wonder where's the profit, if the block costs $250K, the house $200K to build.

The answer is in the quote above. + In the building industry, company's get reputations. Good company's pay well and get the best tradies.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that people who post criticising builders and developers seem to know a lot about building themselves? I mean, if I had a house built and things went wrong, I would be able to describe the issues, but I wouldn't be able to tell you 'because those guys used x% of this material instead of y%'.

This is not saying which builder is good or bad, but if I read a review where the poster is complaining about a builder and cites a load of technical information, I have to wonder........

Back