DIY Laminate flooring

Just thing about doing my first DIY in installing laminate flooring for my one bedroom apartment. Would anyone be able to give me some tips and answer few of my questions below

- any good videos online with good standard practice to install the laminate? have watched a few on youtube, but few different ways of doing it

- what are all the tool i will need

- any 2nd hand shop or auctions in Brisbane where i can get these tool?

- do i need to buy expensive cutters?

thanking in advance

easy as pie

I've layed floating laminate floors in 2 houses now and it is simle stuff. In each box of laminate you purchace there will be an instruction leaflet, showing you the tools you will need for the job.

I prefer the 'Tap and Go' click lock system, I just put down these boards on top of 3mm foam underlay, awesome looking finnish, check this link for pic of the instruction leaflet:
http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.asp?id=687676
You just need a rubber hammer for taping the boards down, a circular saw for cutting strait lines and a jig saw for cutting curves (around doors jambs etc) ruler/ tape measure.

You can find heaps on youtube videos too.

I just did my house, got them from Bunnings. After you put the second run in it's smooth sailing. Take time to read the leaflet as there are different types. Also check the underlay required and that threw old floor is clean and flat/smooth.
You'll need a hammer and block of wood, the instructions on mine said not to use a hammer add they click, not the case a gentle whack was a lot easier. Also don't bother buying the kit that they'll try to sell you, it's basically a flash block of timber and some packers. I used Gyprock and fingertip for packing of the wall. (the first run you do needs to be packed off~10mm.
And pull the skirtings up if you can, looks better with new skirtings over the top instead of using the quad, gives it a much better look.
Photos of mine are here http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96519

thanks guys.. i was also getting rid of 14m2 of ceramic tiles from my kitchen to lay the laminate the way from the kitchen to the lounge and bedroom.

What sort of cutters did you guys use? any place to buy a second hand cutter?

I use a drop saw to cut mine. They're quick, accurate and clean.

Also I want to reiterate bob shovel's comment. Make sure you leave a 10mm gap all the way around the edge. I got lazy on my first floor and did the old 'close enough is good enough'. A few months later and the floor boards looked like a wavepool. Had to rip them all up and start again.

Another tips is if the boards are in an area of lots of direct sunlight, think about using a slightly more expensive brand as they may be less likely to warp. Haven't tested the theory myself, but was told by an builder friend of mine.

yeah, the 8mm thick buntings ones are awful- horrible click system & only about 4 photos printed on them, so its easy to get two boards side by side with identical "grain" pattern, which I notice instantly.

thanks guys.. i was also getting rid of 14m2 of ceramic tiles from my kitchen to lay the laminate the way from the kitchen to the lounge and bedroom.

What sort of cutters did you guys use? any place to buy a second hand cutter?

No need to get rid of the ceramic tiles unless they are in really bad shape, one option is to lay a new floor over the tiles. I learnt the hard way that chipping out tiles is very dusty, and leaves the surface uneven. Also just flooded a kitchen (busted hot water tank) full of laminate floorboards and changed it to tile as it is cheaper and waterproof :mad:

No need to get rid of the ceramic tiles unless they are in really bad shape, one option is to lay a new floor over the tiles. I learnt the hard way that chipping out tiles is very dusty, and leaves the surface uneven. Also just flooded a kitchen (busted hot water tank) full of laminate floorboards and changed it to tile as it is cheaper and waterproof :mad:

This is a great idea (we have done the same thing with real timber floorboards over the top of ceramic tiles) but just make sure you don't run into problems with doors, other floor coverings (e.g varying floor heights), skirting boards and door thresholds (to exterior spaces). Just need to check your heights.

One other thing about laminate floorboards (from someone who has seen a LOT of bodgy DIY jobs 2 or 3 years down the track); make sure you buy good quality laminate. The cheaper products look fine when you first put them down but they don't look good for very long. Spend a bit extra on buying the mid-upper end of the range and I promise you won't regret it in a few years time!

This is a great idea (we have done the same thing with real timber floorboards over the top of ceramic tiles) but just make sure you don't run into problems with doors, other floor coverings (e.g varying floor heights), skirting boards and door thresholds (to exterior spaces). Just need to check your heights.

Last time I tiled over existing tiles, I chopped 1cm off the bottom of the door so that it could open and close properly :) It was easier than rehinging the door.
Skirting boards can be easily moved higher.

What about click vinyl that looks like floorboards. They looked easy to install in the showroom. Anybody have any experience with that? Feedback about its durability vs floating laminate?

Most people I speak to, are advising me to lay the laminate on top of tiles. Apparently it takes a lot of time to remove tiles and I certainly do not have much time. I have 6 days between getting my keys to my apartment and having to move out of rental. Does anyone have any pic of a diy where the laminate meets the laminate on tile? Curious to see what it looks like. Thank you all for your input.

Cheers

Back