Do agents OVER quote to buyers?

Hi. I've actually posted this in an entirely different forum, but have just stumbled across this one and will be interested to get your feedback here too.

Anyway, we're looking at a property which is up for auction, but "may be sold beforehand". When we've asked for a priceguide, the agent has told us "the feedback we've had from other interested parties is mid to high 6's". Our own research suggests it's worth more like just $600k. (based on extensive study of sold prices in the street and whole suburb) Now from all of the reading I've been doing here and on sites such as Jenman's, I understand that we should believe NOTHING that comes out of an agent's mouth. Also, that agents tend to UNDER quote to buyers, usually by 20%. If this is true, then this property would supposedly go for more than $700k! No matter how I look at this place, I can't see how it could fetch the kind of money the agent is talking about, let alone in the 7's.

We've talked about making an offer with the agent. He insists that there have been several offers made "in the 6's" that have been rejected, so it seems futile (assuming he's telling us the truth) to put an offer forward. He has also revealed that it is a "nasty" divorce that has forced them to sell. No way to know if this is true either and seems unprofessional to disclose such information. If our research is correct, it does not add up that they refuse to consider offers in the 6's, if they are indeed desperate.

Apart from my price research being way off the mark (entirely possible of course!), the only other thing I can think of is the agent has done the ol' quote 'em high to the vendor (to gain their business) and will maintain this charade, even to buyers, right through an unsuccessful auction, until they wear them down months later and force them to drop their price. The area we're talking about (NSW beachy) is an incredibly flat market at the moment. Many auctions being passed in and properties sitting stagnant on the market for a year at a hightly inflated price, until they drop gradually by about $100k and finally sell.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? Am I likely to be right about a dodgy campaign? Or is it some other ploy?

Here is my offer, here is why, here is the recent comparables, my offer expires in xxx hours/days, take it or leave it.

Attach the deposit if you want.

Unless you have some emotional attachment to it or has some potential that you haven't explained, plenty of other fish in the sea and no need to play agents games.

Thanks LWC. Was reading another thread just now about offers and starting to see how much tougher we need to be with this. At the end of the day it's a buyer's market and we should make the most of it.

Others have suggested that putting in an offer prior to auction is a bad thing. What are your thoughts?

The REA works primarily for the RTA,
secondly for the vendor, and
not at all for the purchaser​
It is the RTA's job to push the price higher

Due dilligence, calculate your offer, make that offer with a short expiry time, and walk away if the deal is not done to suit you[sup]1[/sup]
Purchaser sets the final price

Another poster's sig says "The deal of a lifetime comes along every day"
if push comes to shove, make tomorrow's deal.
1 above does not mean there is no room for negotiation,
but negotiation works better from the position of making the decision​

I did the same in few properties.. Before the inspection I generally request a price guide compare to my homework. If not too far then I will go to the inspection and chat with the agents. Some of them tell you "buyer's feedback" as price guide... I submitted few offers and I advise them Im not going to the auction.

One situation, I went to the auction, agent saw me and asked me to bid... so I registered. During the auction he stand next to me and kept asking me offer an opening price.. I refused. The auctioneer started with the reserved price... noone bid, then started dropping..... then VB... until it reached 550k... PI...

The other situation which the auction will be on coming Thursday.. I put an offer in written (according to the agent I am the only one who did this), approx 10-20K higher than it should be and based on what other buyer feedback. Vendor refused and insist sell in the auction.. so we will see how's going.

Here is what I think...

At the end of the day, you are the one with cash, you just want to buy something you think it worths... I wont waste my time and money to try and chase something I think is overvalued.

If someone willing to buy something with higher price and they think it worths, let them be....

If other people thinks it is overvalued and sit in the market for awhile (I saw at least 3 properties like that in last few months, 2 of them pull off from the market which one of them back to the market few months later with the price drop.. the other one reduced the price) I guess is a good chance for you to give them a reasonable offer again

Here is my offer, here is why, here is the recent comparables, my offer expires in xxx hours/days, take it or leave it.

Unless you have some emotional attachment to it or has some potential that you haven't explained, plenty of other fish in the sea and no need to play agents games.

Great advice!

Offer what you are willing to pay, put an expiry if its not accepted then move on.

After that its just emotional attachment.

Agents are use to that crap. Its used too often now.

Also agents usually have a big ego, so telling them how to their job (ie recent comparables) doesn't go down well.

I just ask for the contract, write down my amount on contract and attach a personal cheque for 0.25%. Give the agent a few days, call them, advise them if they don't want to accept you'll swing by their office and pick up the contract and cheque.

We just recently sold through auction
Yes the agent put a highly exaggerated price on our property....."This is a magnificent property! I want to set a price precedent for this suburb'. Took that with a grain of salt.
Knew what price we wanted and thought we could get - realistic
Offer came in before auction. Too low. Another offer - same people. $5k under my 'realistic' estimate.
Offer accepted. Their solicitor started screwing around with builders/pest reports.
Offer dropped $50k. No go
Offer upped $20k. Still no go.
Prospectives came to the auction
Auction started at $5k over their bid. No other bids.
They bid their original price, we accept and bingo!
SALE!!!
They were terrified they were going to lose it at the auction as there were half dozen other people there - but no other bidders.
Auctioneers tactic - never give the main bidder the number 1 bidder number!

All the drama could have been avoided in the first place if they'd just gone ahead and exchanged before auction (would have saved them and us lots of stress!)

Interesting learning curve though. I've never attended a property auction before

Oh and I had no hesitation in telling my agent what I did and din't like about his advertising tactics.
I've bought and sold enough properties over the years to have an idea.

So he changed some stuff that I didn't like. Changed some photos. Changed the wording on the ads.

After all I am paying for the advertising and I am paying him/her to sell my house. I deserve a say in how it is marketed and if the agent can't deal with that then I find another agent.

Simple ;)

We just recently sold through auction
Yes the agent put a highly exaggerated price on our property....."This is a magnificent property! I want to set a price precedent for this suburb'. Took that with a grain of salt.
Knew what price we wanted and thought we could get - realistic
Offer came in before auction. Too low. Another offer - same people. $5k under my 'realistic' estimate.
Offer accepted. Their solicitor started screwing around with builders/pest reports.
Offer dropped $50k. No go
Offer upped $20k. Still no go.
Prospectives came to the auction
Auction started at $5k over their bid. No other bids.
They bid their original price, we accept and bingo!
SALE!!!
They were terrified they were going to lose it at the auction as there were half dozen other people there - but no other bidders.
Auctioneers tactic - never give the main bidder the number 1 bidder number!

All the drama could have been avoided in the first place if they'd just gone ahead and exchanged before auction (would have saved them and us lots of stress!)

Interesting learning curve though. I've never attended a property auction before

Thats interesting to listen from the selling side

Got a questions and would like to know what the seller thinks:
In the pre-auction offer which you accepted, if the buyer said they won't appear in the auction, will you still set the reserved price as their bid+5k?

Apart from that, I went to an auction (I mentioned the following auction in other post)... (good location, good price, good property) and I put an offer before the auction which is at the middle of the price range provided by the agent - rejected (I stated that I won't go to the auction).

At the end I appeared at the auction as I want to know hows going. The agent asked me to register - fine.. registered.

At the beginning, the auctioneer started the bid as reserved price as noone (approx 8 bidders only) provide the starting bid. No joy, auctioneer then dropped the price by $10k each... then VB ... then until after another 50K... PI.

Onside note about the tact about the number 1 bidder number... attended another auction recently, the numbers are random and 2 digits... however if I want to register I normally wait till last min so that I can tell how many bidder in the competition regardless what number they are holding

All interesting feedback. Thanks.

I normally wait till last min so that I can tell how many bidder in the competition regardless what number they are holding

You've raised an interesting question for me malau: I went to an auction last weekend, which I had told the agent I was merely there to observe. It was at an auction room and despite reiterating that I wasn't there to register and bid, they insisted I wrote my details down. There was one other name on the list. It turned out there was only one bidder. (I presume it was his name I saw on the list.) Is that what registering is like? Do you actually see them all on a list like that? I would have thought it wouldn't be so open...that maybe you write your details on a single sheet per bidder or something? If it really is just a list like that, that's an awesome tactic malau!

You've raised an interesting question for me malau: I went to an auction last weekend, which I had told the agent I was merely there to observe. It was at an auction room and despite reiterating that I wasn't there to register and bid, they insisted I wrote my details down. There was one other name on the list. It turned out there was only one bidder. (I presume it was his name I saw on the list.) Is that what registering is like? Do you actually see them all on a list like that? I would have thought it wouldn't be so open...that maybe you write your details on a single sheet per bidder or something? If it really is just a list like that, that's an awesome tactic malau!

I only attended onsite auction before and planning if I should go to the auction room this week therefore not sure if you have to write down your name if you just want to observe in the auction room...

After you gave your detail to them did they give you a number?

When I attend onsite auction, I have to provide ID (e.g. DL) they will do all the "paper work". On the paper there is a table which got all the bidder's detail such as name, DL number and so on. Sometimes they requires you to sign something (I guess the one I attended last week didnt ask me to sign anything)... you can ask them how many people are registered (by the time when you ask them). Once they got your detail then you will be given a number.

If you just wanna observe and they ask you to register as a bidder, you still can go ahead with that. No harms *as long as* you did not raise your number during the auction :p

One of my friends had a look the property on the auction day right before the auction. Only 2 people registered as bidders. At the end my friend chat with the vendor and he purchased it before the auction..... of course his solicitor "scolded" (they are friends anyway) him shouldnt do it without B & P inspection plus let the solicitor check the contract.

This is what happened to me yesterday on a property going to auction next Wednesday.

Marketing agent says seller must sell, etc etc so I put in an offer because I won't touch auctions unless its the bank selling it. Rang agent for second inspection of this house as a prospective IP and told him to bring a contract. We did our due diligence and comparable sales checks and rental prices, and came to a figure. I signed the contract on the spot and made it clear I wont be at the auction, I hate them and have no idea why people bother. Left settlement terms up to vendor to suit him.

The vendor that afternoon thanked me for the offer but declined and wants to go to auction. So I dont think this is truly a desperate seller, I think that is just something fabricated by agents to create interest, auctions down here especially on very common properties like this one are rarely successful. I am yet to see one sell like this in the last 6 months.

If it doesnt sell at auction, then obviously my offer was too high, so I have no further interest in the property and emailed the agent last night to withdraw my offer formally so I can move on to some other properties with a clear conscience.

It felt like it was a waste of time and in hindsight, I think the agent had to know the vendor wasn't going to look at pre auction offers, surely that is discussed despite his assurances to me he didn't know, so I feel a bit used by the agent. So be it, good learning experience for me.

I am interested in two more properties going to auction this weekend, wont be going to the auctions due to work, but will make offers once passed in.

As a side note - I inspected a renovator going to auction as well last weekend, overheard agent telling another couple there that interest was in the 6's. That agents offsider rang me yesterday as well asking if I had any further interest, told him no its too expensive for me. He was puzzled how I could come to the conclusion and I told him that I overheard the agent quoting 6's. He started furiously back pedalling to the point of embarrassment.

I think agents auctioning a property look to save face with vendors by having a big turn out at the auction and will say or do anything to get the numbers on the day. Having a crowd of 60 with 5 registered bidders seems more like a spectator sport than a bona fide business transaction.

Auctions!

Went to one a few weeks ago (neighbourhood, idle curiosity). 15 registered bidders there. 2 lowball bids.

Passed in on vendor's bid.

?????

Marg

Well the agents are all talking up the prices right now. There may be something in that too, a lot of houses are now coming on the market without a list price and the agents are testing the market for price. I have joked with a few of them that they mustn't be very good agents if they don't know what a pretty standard house is worth in their particular suburb. Most of them admit that houses are selling above their own estimates so are reluctant to undersell and let the market decide. I am very cynical by nature, but houses are selling and this is causing a shortage of listings. Despite reading the doom and gloom Gold Coast stories there seems to be some upside finally. Wont stop me hunting for something 10% under market value but .... :cool:

Just back from the auction (not onsite) where there were 3 properties gone to the auction. First one PI, 2nd one cant remember PI or sold .. iirc PI, the last one which I interested is sold.

Regarding your question there are few people who I saw them in the inspection said just want to have a look to the staff and didnt write down their detail..

Once again if they gave you the number after they got your detail then you are one of the bidder..

Last edited:
Back