Do I need a separate laundry room in a 3 bed house (inner melbourne)

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at renovating the wet areas in our property to get another bathroom and in doing so am considering whether to keep a separate laundry room vs. making do with a laundry cupboard within the main bathroom.

I wanted to get some feedback from SS members on what you would expect in a 3 bed home (inner Melbourne) and is a separate laundry room a must have for you.

Thanks!!

I have a 4br house with a laundry cupboard. It took a bit of getting used to as it is quite small, however I see standard laundries as a waste of space now.

I have a 4br house with a laundry cupboard. It took a bit of getting used to as it is quite small, however I see standard laundries as a waste of space now.

If you are limited by space then by all means get a laundry cupboard. If space isn't an issue I think a laundry is much better.

I live in a newish 3 bedroom, 3 story townhouse rental in inner Melbourne with a Laundry cupboard. It isn't in the bathroom though which I prefer. It is off the hallway underneath the stairs and works really well. Has a laundry tub and room for washer and dryer.

The space can be used better else where so shrink our move the laundry.

We recently shrunk our laundry - extended the shower into it from one side and a pantry into the otherwise. We had prospective tenants go through, they loved the pantry and shower. No comments regarding a small laundry, as long as it isn't impracticable. We have washer with dryer above, slim laundry tub with open shelves above and 3
About 300 spare which we were going to build a bench and shelves but didn't get to it.

When I did the Cherie Berber renovation course she consistently referred to the laundry as wasted space. Especially in older houses where they're unnecessarily big. Many of her renos converted the laundry into a better use of space and she was big in the European laundry aka the laundry in a cupboard

Personally I hate euro laundries, or just in a cupboard.

For a 3 bed place I would expect a full size laundry. I like being able to hang things up in the laundry where it's tucked away, and also having cats I do not want the tray in the bathroom.

Also, the laundry houses all the cat litter, food, bowls, ironing board, some cleaning products and the mop/vacuum etc.

Horses for courses.
As most things, it's personal preference.

I see the appeal in both and would definitely consider a cupboard laundry if space didn't allow a full laundry.

In saying that if space permitted, I would go a full laundry every time.
Yard entry to the laundry, dirty clothes, shoes, dogs, you name it.
Unsightly cleaning appliances and products can easily be stored in the laundry and not look unsightly.

Hi MelbGal,

Presuming this new bathroom will be an ensuite off the Master bedroom then I think you're on the right track. If you were one of my clients, I would not hesitate recommending you do this as long as your numbers stack up. Ie don't over-capitalise - check comparable values of similar (3 bed, 2 bath) properties in your suburb.

As others have said it would be better to put the laundry cupboard in a hallway instead of one of the bathrooms or kitchen though.

Make sure you show us your 'after' photos when its all done!

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at renovating the wet areas in our property to get another bathroom and in doing so am considering whether to keep a separate laundry room vs. making do with a laundry cupboard within the main bathroom.

I wanted to get some feedback from SS members on what you would expect in a 3 bed home (inner Melbourne) and is a separate laundry room a must have for you.

Thanks!!

If it was a choice between a bathroom or a laundry I'd go bathroom every time, especially if its a smaller inner city block.
Like the others if it could be outside the bathroom then it would be my preference but you can stylishly hide it in the bathroom if you need to - I dislike washing machines just sitting in there.

b03f4a6385ce7c131ec5add7b8910748.jpg

Back