do lottery winning get taxed?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you paid tax if you won twice (like that would be a problem?:eek:). It's considered you are a professional gambler?

No tax payable at all. If you are lucky enough to win, you get to keep it all to yourself.

Not quite all to yourelf....they tax you on any interest :mad:
So I guess the trik would be to blow the lot :D

I could have fun trying. :rolleyes:$1m lotto could buy around 5-8 IP's ;)

I'm sure the government would LOVE to tax winnings, unfortunately they would then have to give you a deduction on amount spent. All the mathies out there, what would that work out to?

its considered a hobby and therefore wins or losses do not come into play for tax.

however if your main source of income is from it and you have a systemised approach to it i think it can be taxable. im no tax accountant though - seek yours for advice if you win!

but saying that, the odds on tattslotto are 1 in 8 million and the odds on powerball are.... wait for it... 1 in 56 million!

so everyone in australia, even new borns, would need to buy 2 tickets with some left over for us to cover all the combinations.

unfortunately they would then have to give you a deduction on amount spent
Losses could theoretically be deductible if you were in the business of playing lotteries, but I think the tax office might use the fact that lotteries are pure chance and have a predetermined negative expectancy, and then claim it's a non-commerical operation (ie. one that can't be expected to make a profit over the long term).

GP

No tax paid on winnings made at the races either!

Question though:
What about money held in TAB accounts? Are they reported? Or reported over a certain amount? I know the money earns no interest but is it a good place to hide money?

Olly

Or reported over a certain amount? I know the money earns no interest but is it a good place to hide money?

Olly

Reported over a certain amount. $10k rings a bell but no longer familiar. Not a good place to hide money, but apparently was a very good launder once upon a time.

sunshine

Back