Do people still use baths in renos?

Hi all,

Continuing from this thread:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52946

When you guys do renovations, do you leave the bath in (or replace it/re-enamel it), or remove the bath in lieu of a bigger shower?

I'm currently renovating a post war home in Stafford, Brisbane, and we have a combined shower and 3/4 sized bath (in baby blue!). I'm going to remove the bath and 40 year old shower screen and retile.

I thought about tenants who might have a baby, but then you could just put a removable tub in the shower and then baby in the tub.

What are agent's thoughts? Do tenants demand baths these days?

Not sure about tenants preferences in general. But from a personal perspective, not having a bathtub when you have a baby or young child just sucks. I would never live anywhere without a tub with kids. Putting a removable tub in the shower 'sounds' reasonable, but in reality isn't the most practical thing for a parent.

Support Rugrat's comment.

I've bathed my kids in the laundry tub when on hols and no bath available. Not something I'd want to do daily. Nothing like a good bubbly soak with the music going and a beer/wine in hand after a tough day.

What about putting in a spa with shower over? Gives a level of luxury and may improve both rental yield & valuation.

Generally people are demanding more these days (never had spas when I was young) so supply what the market wants. It won't be long and CBUS systems will be a standard item in IPs.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

What about putting in a spa with shower over? Gives a level of luxury and may improve both rental yield & valuation.

I'm not sure a spa would suit the area - Stafford is very working class. :rolleyes: I haven't seen any houses for rent in Stafford that have a spa...

I would consider the target market for your rental. Check with your PM as to the demand in your area from families with young children.

If you hope to make your property attractive to families with young children then leave in the bath. It sounds fine in theory to say put the baby bath in the shower recess, but most children are out of a baby bath fairly quickly.
Marg

Glad to see you have started a new topic - I didn't want to leave an essay in the other one ;)

I live near Stafford and know the area reasonably well. I personally would not have a rental property in that suburb without a bath. You said it yourself that it is a working class area. There are lots of family's with young children. I think you would really be limiting the tenant pool if you were to renovate and be without one.:)

I live near Stafford and know the area reasonably well. I personally would not have a rental property in that suburb without a bath. You said it yourself that it is a working class area. There are lots of family's with young children. I think you would really be limiting the tenant pool if you were to renovate and be without one.:)

Yep, agree 100% - Stafford is very working class (lived there as an apprentice). Leave the bath IMO.

I'm not sure a spa would suit the area - Stafford is very working class. :rolleyes: I haven't seen any houses for rent in Stafford that have a spa...

Ok, but I'd stick with the bath being a working class suburb.
Although the spa would give you a unique selling point. "The only house in Stafford with a spa". Reckon the open house would be full? I know, I know. A spa's too much hassle and wll probably get destroyed.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Ok, but I'd stick with the bath being a working class suburb.
Although the spa would give you a unique selling point. "The only house in Stafford with a spa". Reckon the open house would be full? I know, I know. A spa's too much hassle and wll probably get destroyed.

Or the tenants flood the bathroom. :)

Yep, agree 100% - Stafford is very working class (lived there as an apprentice). Leave the bath IMO.

Thanks for your input. :)

What I'm garnering from people is that "working class" puts a whole new dimension on this discussion. If it was an IP in, say, Hamilton, I'd probably install a spa.

I think the way forward would be to:

* re-enamel the bath so it looks newish
* new shower screen and shower head
* new larger wall tiles
* new vanity unit

Toilet can stay put. :)

Now to find a tradie to do this work.

Have to agree that a bath is an asset. Not just for babies but also for young kids. Plus it's nice to have a soak once in a while.:cool:

If you can, try a slide type removable hand held shower. I can't think what they are called but basically they will usually fit your current set up but the shower rose holder is on a slide bar and it can be hand held. Bliss for cleaning the shower too :D I've seen an inexpensive version at Bunnings stores.

Have to agree that a bath is an asset. Not just for babies but also for young kids. Plus it's nice to have a soak once in a while.:cool:

If you can, try a slide type removable hand held shower. I can't think what they are called but basically they will usually fit your current set up but the shower rose holder is on a slide bar and it can be hand held. Bliss for cleaning the shower too :D I've seen an inexpensive version at Bunnings stores.

I think I know what you mean... Most CBD apartments have them. You can leave the shower head in its holder or make it hand held. That's what I want to get with this setup. :)

mja, you may find that reenamelling the bath is more expensive than pulling it out and installing a good secondhand one. you can usually pick them up looking like new. i haven't done it but i've heard reenamelling could cost up to $800.

I've bathed my kids in the laundry tub when on hols and no bath available. Not something I'd want to do daily. Nothing like a good bubbly soak with the music going and a beer/wine in hand after a tough day.

But from a personal perspective, not having a bathtub when you have a baby or young child just sucks. I would never live anywhere without a tub with kids.

Total agreeance, luckily the older, established IP's we bought, the bathtubs were in good nick, one of the showers we replaced but the tubs, even if they had been in need of repair/replacing would have not hesitated.

My thoughts (and Mr OO) is gotta have the tub, even if there is a family or person who never even uses it at some stage renting, we want the tub.

My brother and SIL built their home couple of years ago, (the kids are grown and left), he does not have a bath!

No way, I'm pretty flexible on many things/ideas but gotta have the tub. Especially for the smaller children bathing.

For adults, radox herbals, music, glass of wine, and the mister sometimes...Many a great night in the tub. Gotta have a tub.

What I'm garnering from people is that "working class" puts a whole new dimension on this discussion. If it was an IP in, say, Hamilton, I'd probably install a spa.

It is probably not the "working class" thing so much as building / reno'ing for your intended market - but you are getting the drift with your Hamilton comment. Cheers.

OH - just an afterthought. If the bath is enamel and needs an update, consider using White Knight Tube & Tile. For around $60 its cheaper than a re-enamel job and less hassle than a new bath. It will depend on present condition of the bath you've got.

In any of our places where we have renovated bathrooms, we put in a one piece fibreglass shower cubicle with a high step base which is quite adequate for bathing kids. Easy to clean and saves space also, never had any complaints.

They retail for about $330

Rub a dub dub three men in a tub (or hubby, wife & bub)

Last night I attended a farewell party in a 5 bedroom (or 4 bedrooms & office) house that will soon be an IP, friends have everything that opens and shuts including 3 /4 outdoor areas.

1. Grass roof cover over outdoor hot tub.
  2. Bamboo ceiling in main outdoor cooking and dining area (that had a kitchen area bigger than my kitchen, dining and back verandah).
  3. Mens' high table bar area under large umbrella with huge sail shade over the top as well.
  4. Large covered outdoor area as well to sit under.

Anyway....
Shower and toilet that can be entered from inside or outside
Main bathroom has a huge shower and toilet and another toilet beside this bathroom.

So I am looking around and thinking they have 3 indoor entertainment areas + 3/4 outdoor entertainment areas really expensive modern trendy furniture but no bathtub :eek:

Personally I love a bubblebath.

Rent will be $700 - $800 per week

IMHO always leave a bathtub even if it is only a 1m x1m tub under the shower.

Kind regards
Sheryn

Back