Do Rates & Charges Triple when you sub-divide into 3 lots?

When I was sub-dividing I asked my Council because I was sub-dividing into 3 lots does that mean that my quarterly rates and charges will triple etc. They said not what would happen is that the charges would roughly remain the same or maybe a little bit more but they would divide the previous charges by 3 based on each allotmant size etc.

I used to pay around $250 per quarter pre-subdivision. I then sub-divided around Mid 2012. My last rates bill which was Installment 2 for the year amounted to around $350 for all 3 which I accepted as I remembered they said it'd probably go up a bit overall. However, I've just received my 3rd installment notice and this one adds up to $780 which is a massive increase obviously.

I plan to call Council tomorrow to see what's going on but I just wanted to know if anyone has had any previous examples and if they are supposed to rise just slightly or if infact it's normal for them to double/triple/quadruple accordingly?

TIA

Hi
yes pretty normal. I wouldnt expect it to be triple but to be 2.75 or somewhere around there.

D

Also, there are minimum use rates for each lot in most council areas

eg waste service
-green levy

so although the general rates levy only increases slightly, its all the other stuff that makes a difference.

d

When you subdivided you would have installed new water/sewage pipes for each new titled property. This adds to the water service bill as now the water authority maintains 3 pipes, not one.

Back