Do we need a draftsman or can we draw a small patio up ourselves?

We want to put a proper flyover style roof on a back patio area that we have just had a shade sail or nothing at all at various times. Area to be covered is about 4 x 7 metres maximum.

Rather than have it drawn by a draftsman, can we draw it up ourselves and take it straight to a certifier? That would save us about $1K I guess.

Rather than have it drawn by a draftsman, can we draw it up ourselves and take it straight to a certifier? That would save us about $1K I guess.

a 2D drawing wont be difficult at all, it will be the footing/pier 'design' from the engineer.

Super easy free program is Google Sketchup.

Thanks for your reply. This patio will be attached to the ground with one post, and to the fascia board at the other end (filling in an L shaped area) and two short posts to the roof timbers for the flyover section. It is such a simple structure and hubby can draw it as long as a certifier will accept a plan from a homeowner. I think I will call a certifier tomorrow we have used before and check.

Have a look at the requirements for the plan on the council website - there are several items that you will need to address.

As pointed out, you will need an engineer to prepare the footing design/design any slab.

The shade sail will rip the fascia off in a stiff breeze - will need a more solid fixing which won't pull off the roof in the process.

Many certifiers will accept owner drawn plans as long as you have all the info shown i.e. if it's a timber roof you need to show all thetimber sizes and what size bolts etc. If you're going to use something like a Stratco patio then it's super easy, stratco will supply you the engineer's drawings for the roof and you just have to draw up the beam, posts and footings sizes.

With a flyover roof it can be technical, as you will need to show how it's going to connect to the house. They should be sitting on top of the house top plate and supported by a stud, and generally can't be sitting over a window/door. There is a propriety flyover roofing bracket called Extenda brackets which you might be able to google and source. You could also get a 75mm steel post fabricated.

An engineer's footings design shouldn't be necessary. So long as you show adequate footings sizes on the plan I'm sure the certifier will be ok with it.

Source: i have done it in the past myself.

With a week to mull this over and with a couple of Houzz updates received in that time (amazing site for great ideas) we've decided we really don't need a big flyover roof. We have a big enough outdoor area under a roof, and really just want to protect our french doors in very heavy rain, and want some shade to replace the shade sails we've had before and keep morning sun off the glass.

So... thank you Houzz, this is what we are now thinking of doing. Much less "heavy" and the inside rooms will be lighter than if we do a flyover roof, plus cheap and hubby can do this job easily.

If we do something very lightweight like this with one post to form the other corner with thin, light strips like the photo (just the roof, not the sides), our grapes can grow over the top and we could add a narrow length of clear roof sheeting above the door/window section to enable us to leave everything open in blowy rain.
This was the inspiration photo -

This is where we want to put this structure -

WE have good sized BBQ behind where I'm standing that is under cover, so this structure is really to provide shade. We will tile over these stained pavers and replace the gutters.

My question now is for such a light weight structure, would we need approval at all? Is there a certain size we can go to without approval. If so, that is the size we will build.

Last edited:
Hubby has finished the pergola. If we ever sell, and if somebody says "the pergola is not approved" we will tell them we can easily remove it :D.

It makes a nice difference to the light level in the room directly inside, which is our TV room, off a kitchen and eating area.

This is the dappled light from inside

Next job to finish off this back pool area, that has been rather neglected is to tile over the tiles we put on 15 years ago. We never sealed them, and they are badly stained. We thought of decking over the top, sitting joists on the old tiles, but that makes it hard to check under the deck for termites, so we think it best to tile straight over the top.

Are you sure it needs approval? Lots of minor structures like patios are exempt from requiring approval.

RPI has suggested as it is bolted to the fascia it doesn't need approval, so I'm happy with things as they are.

If we ever need approval for any work, we would have it drawn up at that time if it is necessary.

Thanks for the compliments. We are enjoying titivating the pool area. It has been long neglected really. We are going tomorrow to look at some travertine tiles. We will do the retile ourselves. New tiles will go straight over the old ones.

We are not sure if we will keep the black pool fence or go for glass. I like the glass, but the black "iron" look sort of suits the French / Italian sort of feel we have now. I also don't want to have to clean any glass :eek:

The shop friends got their travertine tiles from for a very good price is open tomorrow and again on Boxing Day. If we find something we like at the right price we may just buy it.

Last edited:
Looks awesome @wylie really impressed. Love the french/italian look you have going on aswell.

How did the hubby go about connecting the poles to the ground?

Im going to try and learn building/renos ect as i have not alot idea. Did you take any picks of them connecting to the ground.

Is your hubby a builder/carpenter?

Edit: After this thread i have also quickly bookmarked houzz

Z6

Back