Do we need a draftsman or can we draw a small patio up ourselves?

I also don't want to have to clean any glass :eek:

Our pool is surrounded by glass and our dogs often swim in the pool shaking pool water all over the glass making sure they get each and every panel and window! I find a quick hose down after each swim works fine - there's no salty residue left on the glass and goes back to being almost spotless. So pretty low maintenance.

Thanks :). Hubby is not a builder, but I reckon he could almost build a house. He has done a LOT of building work and there is not much he cannot tackle and do well. It is very nice having such a hubby :D.

A builder we met two years ago on a reno job who did some work for us (work that hubby could have done, but we wanted a builder to sign off on it for future-proofing when we come to sell), is happy to have hubby work with him. I see that as a big compliment.

I didn't take a photo of the holes (which is annoying as I discussed doing so in case we ever needed to show anybody how this was constructed in order to have it passed), but he cemented galvanised stirrups into fairly deep holes, smoothed off the surface. He did the outside corner first, bolted the stirrup to the post which was held in place with uprights and clamped, and it sort of "hung" into the hole with the stirrup attached. That way, the cement filled up the hole and he could ensure the post was perfectly straight. He decided there was too much weight in the timber and we really needed the second post as the fascia board was holding up a fair whack of timber.

He did a similar pergola over our barbecue area on the other side and replaced a crappy canvas awning that was protecting me and my washing from the sun and rain. It is now a similar structure but with colour bond roof to keep our barbecues and washing dry.

Hubby learned a lot of what he knows by doing building work all through our time together. He said he learned a LOT of how things are built and put together by helping a demo chap demolish a block of shops. Seeing it come apart helps to show how it should be put together. I am amazed at his knowledge and talent. There's not much he cannot tackle.

Back