Do we serve notice to evict if tenant is late for the 2nd month in a row?

We offered them a payament schedule to catch.
We have very similar problem. PM issued notice to vacate and also going to the tribunal tomorrow.
Our tenants have been paying the rent without any problems for about 18 months.

Then (3 months back) they started falling behind. Initially they were about a month behind. We got them (through PM) on re-payment plan to pay off the arrears... but now they are 6 weeks behind!

We have very similar problem. PM issued notice to vacate and also going to the tribunal tomorrow.
Our tenants have been paying the rent without any problems for about 18 months.

Then (3 months back) they started falling behind. Initially they were about a month behind. We got them (through PM) on re-payment plan to pay off the arrears... but now they are 6 weeks behind!

Our tenants have their hearing in a couple of days.
They were always a bit slow in paying, but always within the legal time period. They had a 2 bedroom unit, and wanted a 3 bedroom, as they were taking in a roommate. Great we thought..extra income. It was just they didn't pass that income along to us. The female is pregnant and was put on sick leave, and that was originally the reason why they are so late. As soon as her benefits start, they will catch up. We had always requested a payment schedule, but it was ignored.After they went over the legal time period, we had had to initiate eviction. They are now on facebook stating we are so mean evicting them at Xmas....
Our superintendants are instructed to mediate at the hearing, and have a payment schedule be binding. (makes us look good) They are now 7 weeks in arrears.Good thing was, we were able to hearing date really fast.
We have done everything by the ACT, so we know we will win...collecting is another matter.

haha, don't bother until they're 14 days late.. I am doing the EXACT same thing to my landlord right now because they are a complete !@#$! As soon as they send the termination notice, I pay to make it void.. then it starts all over again ;)

Hopefully your !@#$! landlord kicks you out on your hopeless ***.

You obviously are a quality individual which is why you are going nowhere in life whilst paying off your landlords property.

Take some responsibility for your own actions for once. You are a muppet.

And why you bother posting on a Property Investor Forum has me stumped.

I should go ask the Salvation Army for rent money like your tenants, LOL!

As a tenant I would just like to say you are an obvious troll.

I have rented for a few years now. Never missed a single payment, never been late for a single payment. Never had anything other than the full bond returned.

The only time time I have ever been behind is when a rental increase came in when I was on holidays. Forgot to change the direct debit, so called the PM on my return and paid the outstanding amount (all $32.50 of it).

We do exist. Little rants like yours are pretty obvious attention seeking stunts.

As a tenant I would just like to say you are an obvious troll.

I have rented for a few years now. Never missed a single payment, never been late for a single payment. Never had anything other than the full bond returned.

The only time time I have ever been behind is when a rental increase came in when I was on holidays. Forgot to change the direct debit, so called the PM on my return and paid the outstanding amount (all $32.50 of it).

We do exist. Little rants like yours are pretty obvious attention seeking stunts.

You don't want to move to Melbourne do you Ideo??? Have a couple of nice properties I can offer......:)

People like Bon obviously have the s$!ts with the world because they are renting off "rich" landlords who do everything that they can to stuff up the poor tenants life. Classic case of sitting doing nothing, watching people who do get ahead, and then complaining that they don't get anywhere in life (maybe he should read "who moved my cheese").

We went out of our way to install new curtains and blockout blinds in the house, tint on the front glass door so you couldn't see in from the road, new clothesline and TV antenna, and my wife drove out on a Friday afternoon (1 hour each way) just to give the house a final clean before they moved in. And the tenants have the audacity to complain about feeling harrassed.

Give me a break!

We went out of our way to install new curtains and blockout blinds in the house, tint on the front glass door so you couldn't see in from the road, new clothesline and TV antenna, and my wife drove out on a Friday afternoon (1 hour each way) just to give the house a final clean before they moved in. And the tenants have the audacity to complain about feeling harrassed.

Give me a break!

LOL! Reminds me of one we had a while ago. House had just been reno'd & we forgot to install the washing line. Went there a couple of days after the new tenants moved in (they thought Hubby was the handyman), and there they are whinging about the tightar$e Landlord and how he never does anything around the place.:confused:

There's just no pleasing some people.

You don't want to move to Melbourne do you Ideo??? Have a couple of nice properties I can offer......:)

People like Bon obviously have the s$!ts with the world because they are renting off "rich" landlords who do everything that they can to stuff up the poor tenants life. Classic case of sitting doing nothing, watching people who do get ahead, and then complaining that they don't get anywhere in life (maybe he should read "who moved my cheese").

Give me a break!

The trick is to rent to people who own property elsewhere :D

I know that relationships work both ways and it makes it easier for everyone if you do the right thing.

When there are genuine issues it is much easier to get it resolved when there is a solid underlying relationship.

Yes, just because I rent means that owning property is mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:

Yes, just because I rent means that owning property is mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:

I never mentioned that they were mutually exclusive. I would assume however that if you did own property you would understand the frustrations of dealing with tenants like yourself.

Based on your advice we will sit on it for the moment and see how it plays out over the next few months. It seems to be more trouble to issue notices than it is worth and unless they are not paying at all don't think we will bother.
I think you understand, but I just want to reinforce that it's not about whether you *want* to issue a notice, but whether you're legally entitled to do so. It sounds to me like the PM knows the rules and is enforcing them; most PMs have excellent software that prompts them to issue notices at the first available opportunity.

All you have to do is confirm that your PM is aware of the rules and is sending notices at the first available opportunity, and then leave them to get on with the job.

I put a reminder on my mobile to make sure I paid my rent on the 1st. Changed my mobile and sure enough I clean forgot about the rent! I suddenly remembered this on the 9th morning and quickly made payment by a wire transfer. Immediately called her and explained what happened.

On the 12th I get this nasty letter from our agent.....our credit rating could be affected...the usual bull$h1t. Just ignored it. I'm going on holiday soon and pretty sure I'll forget again. So just paid it in advance - wonder if the landlord will get it from the agent immediately:rolleyes:

I put a reminder on my mobile to make sure I paid my rent on the 1st. Changed my mobile and sure enough I clean forgot about the rent! I suddenly remembered this on the 9th morning and quickly made payment by a wire transfer. Immediately called her and explained what happened.

On the 12th I get this nasty letter from our agent.....our credit rating could be affected...the usual bull$h1t. Just ignored it. I'm going on holiday soon and pretty sure I'll forget again. So just paid it in advance - wonder if the landlord will get it from the agent immediately:rolleyes:

Why don't you just set it up as Direct Debit?

I wondered the same thing; if I had to pay bills manually, I'm afraid that more than just the rent would be late. :eek:

I pay everything (that I can) via fortnightly BPAY transfer of an "estimated plus a bit of rounding up" - council rates, electricity, phone, water and sewerage, insurances, etc, for both PPOR and IPs. The only ones that I can't seem to do that way - because they have codes that are specific to the payment period and amount - are the car registration and land tax.

I set it up like this precisely because manually paying bills proved a little too challenging for this "absent-minded professor"-type. :eek: And we never get surprised by big bills; we always have a bit of credit. :) So it helps in cashflow planning, too.

I have also questioned this with our PM - we have everything set up this way as it is so much simpler.

Seems like our friendly renters do not want to do it this way so manually transfer the rent each month :eek:

Back