Do you ever mention investing while at work?

Hi all

Just curious as to whether people ever disclose to colleague/bosses that you invest in property and how you enjoy it?

Mona

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what the people you work with are like. Either at work or outside of work, I only discuss investing if they are on the same wave length, often after they raise the subject first.

I only normally discuss our investments at work if someone specifically asks me about them and seems to take a genuine interest (very rarely:)).

Most of my work colleges don't own any properties apart from their PPORs and then almost always with a decent mortgage outstanding.

In fact several of them don't even have a PPOR or any shares or any investments at all come to think of it.

BTW I'm not talking about people in their 20s who you might expect to have little or no financial assets, these are mainly people from mid 35s to mids 55s on decent incomes.

We normally only openly discuss our investments (apart from on somersoft :)) with a few close friends who also invest in both property and shares.

Last edited:
Just curious as to whether people ever disclose to colleague/bosses that you invest in property and how you enjoy it?

Heh, this instantly made me think of Dazz... pretending to be Joe Average at work, not mentioning the IPs.

When I was in a 'job' I only ever mentioned my first IP... after that when talking about my property investing I'm sure everyone just kept assuming I only had one lonely unit.

I talked openly about it with my co-workers.
Occassionally I would be asked for advice.Usually they were having trouble with their LL, and didn't know what to do.
I used to tell tales of the trouble some of our tenants caused. They would just keep saying how they would never want to own a rental.
Usually they would discuss me when I wasn't around.
I do remember once, one person stated "she can't be doing too well, she is still working here". At that point I had less than a year before my scheduled quittting day.
I am, who I am...and I love discussing property, whether it is mine or theirs.

No point creating jealousy in the workplace, they can save that one for when I walk out of the door and they are still stuck there blowing everything on lifestyle.

With me, I don't think they were jealous..at least at first.
I think they thought of investment property as deprevation.
I brown bagged my lunches, brought a thermos of coffee.
We worked every weekend on our properties.

It wasn't until I started talking about moving to Australia, that it sunk in.
Maybe they were jealous then, but they never showed it.
They all signed a card, and gave it to me on my last day worked.

I'll talk about property to whom ever...people will usually ask me questions about it, we converse from there. It can be anyone, ex (nursing) workmates have gone into investing, some with one IP, some into multiple and businesses, some find themselves with an IP by default, I love to talk about investing and there is usually always someone to do that with.

Years ago I used to discuss investing at work when co-workers asked about it, but then realised it was only confirming their suspicions that there was something wrong with me. I just wasn't spending all my income with them every night at the pub!

Now, in a different a job where I'm the manager, I don't want to discuss property investing with the business owners (despite them having a massive portfolio themselves) because they'd just see it as an opportunity to not offer pay rises (because I must be doing well enough, you see?).

Investing starts with saving, and not many people actually like known savers, I've found. If you've learnt to become a saver in this life you're better off keeping that dirty little secret to yourself, paricularly so if you come from of family of pathological non-savers.

Of course, this is all conveniently forgotten when you do someone a good turn.

Belbo

I tend to find people keen to talk about their investments at work just about as interesting as people who want to talk about their new diet or spiritual awakening

If nothing else, property investing and sharing my experience/knowlege of same has taught me a very valuable lesson...

Those who are not into it, don't want to hear about it
Those who are, don't want to stop talking about it
And rarely will these two groups (of people) ever be found in close proximity of each other!

Let your instincts guide you; if you find that those around you (at work or at play) are comfortable in you talking about a particular topic, then knock yourself out. However if they appear disinterested or (even remotely) peeved by your ramblings then save it for those who will appreciate your words and are desirous of learning of your experiences. With property there are always forums and/or gatherings such as this site that help unite you with like-minded PI souls.:)

Eight months is a fair ol' break me ol' chum.

Good to see you back chipping away at the pscyhology section....:)

Eight months is a fair ol' break me ol' chum.

Good to see you back chipping away at the pscyhology section....:)
Geez :eek: time sure does fly when you're (having fun, or rather) enjoying life....has it really been that long??? LOL

Good to see you're still hanging about Dazz! ;) Your posts are invalue and there is a lot newbies / budding investors stand to learn from an ol' dog like you...keep up the good work mate! :)

Geez :eek: time sure does fly when you're (having fun, or rather) enjoying life....has it really been that long??? LOL

Good to see you're still hanging about Dazz! ;) Your posts are invalue and there is a lot newbies / budding investors stand to learn from an ol' dog like you...keep up the good work mate! :)

I'm assuming Dazz is younger than me, though not ny much.

If he's an old dog, what's that make me ?:mad: :)

I found it interesting, people who don't invest tend to "already know" the answers to everything, including why they can't do it. Those who know more, are more patient to hear the other person through, right or wrong, then ask questions..... After telling me that proeporty doubles every 10 years, I have had the same people say "Oh no ! " when I tell them I hope it will , as I have $1m of IP loans. I then mention that my IP's a worth a wee bit more (not that much, and that my PPOR is mortgage free, I pay no mortgage or "rent" - still doesn't sway them from the "Oh no!" exclamation. I do find at work that people do try to keep their professional hat on a little while discussing thigns, but still the instinctive knowledge (or lack thereof) still takes precedence (hey, I include myself in this group of people wiht these weaknesses don't worry).

If it comes up at work, I talk about it, others have more investments than me.

In fact, I might discuss with one guy his thoughts on smaller commercial/retail etc soon, maybe over a lunch or something...

I'm assuming Dazz is younger than me, though not ny much.

If he's an old dog, what's that make me ?:mad: :)
Without peeking into either yours or Dazz's profiles (assuming this information is listed, don't know never cared to look) I'm guessing I'm probably older than you both! :eek:

As for the "do" or "don't" talk about investments at work, it's a matter of personal choice and circumstances. If people are willing to listen, and you're willing to talk about your investments (or anything else for that matter) then why not? Sharing is a good thing, if it is well received of course, otherwise it gets labelled "bragging" or "big-noting" and frankly I'm not a fan of either. :rolleyes:

Personally I've never found the two groups (those in the business and those not) mix well, so I tend to keep the topic under wraps unless I'm specifically asked. As for the "at work" debate, well that's no longer an issue for me thanks to my philosophy on less talk and more do in the PI department! :D

Oops....did I just contradict myself????? Doh! LOL

I haven't "worked" for 19 years, apart from painting a few houses (often on my own), ripping out a few kitchens and bathrooms, and putting new ones in (helping, not on my own).

I am about to start a casual job for a few days per week because for the first time in 19 years I am getting a bit bored at home, and seeking a bit more purpose and social contact. Hubby is working right now on a contract to help out an old friend/boss but we are not sure whether he will stay "retired" when that contract finishes, or look for something a couple of days a week.

When he was "retired" he kept busy doing things at home, but would go looking for things to do and sometimes mow all the footpaths in the street. He is very much a giving person, but I believe he might just go mad if he doesn't do "something". He is only 52.

I know that when he was working, hubby kept our IPs to himself unless he was taking with someone who knew that sometimes on the weekend he would be ripping out a kitchen, or tiling, or removing walls.

What I found with my (five) closest friends was that they knew our financial position fairly well, as I did theirs (not the detail). They knew we had several houses and considerably more than a million dollars in debt.

Friends of friends, or school mothers who knew us a little, knew we had houses because the gossip and "did you know???" stuff tends to be alive and well. They would see me pick up my kids in paint spattered gear and would sometimes (I believe) think we were either very poor..... or very wealthy and perhaps eccentric because of painting places myself, very lucky or a combination of both. In my paint spattered clothes, some of these probably thought we had worked hard for what we had, but others possibly thought we were just lucky.

I think many people just see the assets, and think we own several houses outright, which is not the case. To be honest, whilst having IPs has not made us wealthy, it did allow hubby to stop working at 50. I'm sure the people at his work who don't know him well enough to know our situation properly, possibly think he is loaded because he doesn't have to work, but it is just that I plan well, have covered our interest for the next few years until he can access his super and now he can work, or not, to suit himself.

I think people who are not close enough to know the full story only see the assets, not the debt, and some will resent him/us for what we have without knowing that we have worked bl00dy hard for many years to be in the position we are in now.

And having said all that, I believe for all our hard work over many years, we are not terribly far ahead of many other families who just own their own homes and have good super anyway.

I haven't "worked" for 19 years, apart from painting a few houses (often on my own), ripping out a few kitchens and bathrooms, and putting new ones in....I am about to start a casual job for a few days per week
Come on Wylie, tell the truth woman....you're going back to work to get some rest! ;) :p

only see the assets, not the debt, and some will resent him/us for what we have without knowing that we have worked bl00dy hard for many years to be in the position we are in now.

And having said all that, I believe for all our hard work over many years, we are not terribly far ahead of many other families who just own their own homes and have good super anyway.

Wylie
I would agree with you 100%.

Hubby brother sees the assets and not our debt, he could have done what we have done easier than us as he works in the building industry and is a sub contracting carpenter with a gang of employees.

Each to their own. If some one asks me a question I respond with as much detail and numbers as possible.

One other thing I have found is men want to talk to men = boys club!!! I do not find it amusing when hubby has to refer them to me, when I feel they should have asked me in the first place.

Kind regards
Sheryn

If nothing else, property investing and sharing my experience/knowlege of same has taught me a very valuable lesson...

Those who are not into it, don't want to hear about it
Those who are, don't want to stop talking about it
And rarely will these two groups (of people) ever be found in close proximity of each other!

Nailed it with this post. Kudos.

Back