Do you get judged by your friends on where you buy?

You tell people what you buy? Why?

Well because they ask?

Anyway I think there is always some stigma for certain people on those value for money areas. Some investors love them, and for whatever reason, some don't like them and prefer to buy in middle of the park and blue chip suburbs.

Personally I don't have any property on those value for money areas .... yet. For me it is not so much the prestige factor (Otherwise would have bought a beautiful brand new luxury OTP unit in City/north shore/Chatswood areas), but the fear of finding quality tenants in those areas, and the presumed higher probability of IP getting trashed/burned down.

It is great to see so many responses to this question so quickly though.

Well because they ask?

Just because they ask, doesn't mean you have to answer. At the very least, you can choose to answer with as much or as little information as you want.

Stigma and judgement (by your friends or anyone else) is only relevant if you 1) tell people about it and 2) care what people think.

Just because they ask, doesn't mean you have to answer. At the very least, you can choose to answer with as much or as little information as you want.

Stigma and judgement (by your friends or anyone else) is only relevant if you 1) tell people about it and 2) care what people think.

Well personally I don't care what people think about where I buy. That's why I just tell them if they ask. I don't think there is anything I have to hide. The people who don't tell much when being asked, are usually the one that have already pre-judged themselves in their heart.

anyone who buys a property portfolio soley for the fact to boast to friends about how many properties they own in some hotshot postcode, has either too much money, or no idea about investing or the '****' factor must be really important to them

I think when you have been investing for a while you realise it is not wise to tell anyone about your properties etc. Moral of the story.... keep your mouth shut, it will make for an easer life:)

BTW, I invest in undesirable areas have for many years. I don't think it matters where you invest as long as you know that you are going to make money, its all about timing the market, supply vs demand, yes, that old chestnut. The only areas I don't touch are mining towns, I'm a pussy:p

Last edited:
Im buying in adelaide atm much to the disappointment of friends and family. Will be a big "told ya so" moment for someone ;)

Last edited:
It's all about context. I can't make construction jokes to my white collar jokes because they wouldn't understand them. If someone who I know doesn't invest questions my decisions about where to invest I've gotta ask myself what their point of reference is.

If someone tried to boast to me by saying they have an IP in Ascot in Brisbane I would switch off immediately because I know how bad the returns are there which illustrates they know nothing about investing.

It blew my mind when I found out people buy IPs just to say they own them -but if that's want they want to do. Some people have dogs that can fetch and others have them just for company.

Im buying in adelaide atm much to the disappointment of friends and family. Will be a big "told ya so" moment for someone ;)

Adelaide has lots of bargains at the moment (compare to rest of Oz capital cities) and I am always tempted to buy one there especially in the quality suburbs. But just could not convince SWMBO to do so :rolleyes:

Adelaide has lots of bargains at the moment (compare to rest of Oz capital cities) and I am always tempted to buy one there especially in the quality suburbs. But just could not convince SWMBO to do so :rolleyes:

Significant wealthy/mature/better other ?:p

People can only ask if you tell them.

Family, friends, colleagues, none of them have any place knowing about your investments.

Really? I dont think its a bad thing to be open about it actually provided the people you are sharing it with are into the same thing or aspiring to do it too.

There are very few people that know we invest. Those that do, don't know any details about it, only that we have a few IP's. I do have one friend that I met through SS that knows a fair bit, but then, she's a fellow investor & we're quite close & don't judge each other, and it has taken time for the relationship to mature to that level.

The only place we talk freely about it is here, on SS, but even here, I won't go into details. I'm happy to say that I have double digits (but not the number), I won't go into details of net worth etc.

If you share too much people think you are bragging, or that you think you are better than them, especially if you have a high number of IPs.

In the early years, in our excitement, we shared our journey with family. It didn't take long to realise what a mistake that was, so now we don't talk about it at all, unless someone asks. Then we might just say "Oh yes, we've still got that one" and change the subject.

Some of my friends have asked, then started investing themselves. The slumlord thing is always said with a grin.

some friends knew i was buying cheapies in atlanta. the cheeky slumlord comment came up. then i showed them some photos of the rehabbed properties - they were better looking than their PPOR's:)

Back