Do you regret selling??

Yes for me.

Sold my first property in Townsville in 2002 before the market went nuts again (and before I knew about investing with property). Purchased immediately again in the new town and have done well however always regret not turning it into a rental instead and sitting on it estimate on the figures I sold for $ 110 000 in 2002 and last time I looked was worth around $ 350 000 in 2008.

Cheers,

Fourex.

Yes for me.

Sold my first property in Townsville in 2002 before the market went nuts again (and before I knew about investing with property). Purchased immediately again in the new town and have done well however always regret not turning it into a rental instead and sitting on it estimate on the figures I sold for $ 110 000 in 2002 and last time I looked was worth around $ 350 000 in 2008.

Stop looking!!! :D

I do this with (too often) shares and for me it's self-destructive.

I often regret selling our IP. We sold it back in 2004 due to illness and my husband losing his job. Boomed just after that. Only just getting around to buying another IP now. Had we kept that one, we'd be on our 2nd by now.

No, I don't regret selling.
We sold our first IP, because I could see that the market in Sydney was overheating. We sold right at the top of the boom. The prices of these units still hasn't got to the same level as we sold for a few years ago.
Our second IP, I probably have some regrets in selling. We needed to sell to get out of some financial difficulties we were in at the time. But again, we sold it at the right time, both for the market and for us. It would have continued to be a good earner, but selling it was better than going bankrupt!
I don't regret it. Both were definitely the right decision at the right time.
Pen

Sounds like there are mixed feelings about selling. It's good to hear how others feel about their decisions to sell. I would love to have a crystal ball to know what the future held sometimes!!

Anyone else want to share their decision or regret of selling?

Yes, I do...had a beautiful 2bedder appt in Surrey Hills. Had our first baby, and didn't want to put additional financial pressure on us, should I not want to return to work. Did return to work, could have afforded it....but yes, hidsight is 20/20!

Hi Tarah,

It all depends on your reasons. There is no right or wrong and each strategy is slightly different.

Scenario 1: Had a baby and lost most of my income, some Interest Rates up to 12% (good-bye RHG :)) - GFC Had to sell a good one with MUCH regret :( - and a bad one :). I did the right thing for our cashflow and don't regret selling as I could have lost my whole portfolio if I did not. :)

Scenario 2: I have also bought and sold for Capital Gain which I don't believe I will do again. I don't regret the decision to sell as it was my intention to do so but I didn't enjoy the process of selling really. Whether I have made a gain or not.

Regards JO

I often regret selling our IP. We sold it back in 2004 due to illness and my husband losing his job. Boomed just after that. Only just getting around to buying another IP now. Had we kept that one, we'd be on our 2nd by now.

Hey luckyone,

Chin up! You did what you had to at the time, as I did. At least you are on your way again. :)

Regards JO

Thanks Jo,

Sounds like you sold for very good reasons and if it helps CF which then helps your SANF, it's worth it.

It would be nice to actually realise some gains for a change! Rather than putting a bandaid over situations I'd like to get ahead, have some fun doing things for myself and then grab some opportunities in the near future!

Back