Do you take race into account when making decision on tenant?

Does race factor into your decision in selecting a tenant?

• Definately Yes

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • Definately No

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • Would be the deciding factor between two equally placed applicants

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They probably have the same stupid assumptions also.....investments and emotions can be dangerous. But alot of people are not professional investors are they?

For example I have Chinese tenants who have been in my Sydney flat for 7 years......and an older Lebanese tenant on Centrelink and trust fund (govt. hold it for him) who has been in for 5 years. If I had made stupid assumptions....I may have had vacancies and constantly changing tenants....instead I have low maintenance tenants who never complain. Treat people with respect and run your shop professionally and you should have very little problems. Also, I have raised my rents by 20% and my tenants are still there.....

I agree with JIT is is one of the stupidest polls.....do people realise that most immigrants coming in nowadays have serious money and some of them never go to the rental market! They have bought their 800k-1mil home before they arrive and move straight in......

I am of a migrant background....we came as business migrants...but it pales in comparison to the amounts the newbies bring over to OZ.:D

That sounds quite balanced Sash - afterall, the cons of emotions overriding investment decisons does seem to get repeated over & over, I too think it may be true...

How would people think of investors from a minority ethnic group(s) holding the same view against the rest of the population ?

crazy poll

Race no,
Instead I discriminate against solo mothers, homosexual tenants, and all non-Christian religous tenants. Oh and people with disabilities, oh and overweight tenants.
I think this is a strange poll.

Ummm....I think sometimes it makes me positively inclined towards some races if I have had a number of really good experiences with that culture.

This may be a complete coincidence but I have never had an asian tenant pay late. Because I was often on site with my townhouses I got to know some of my tenants - they were Anglo, French, Italian, various asian (I usually need to know as it forms a large part of their application ie malaysian students with no employment being fully financially supported by their overseas parents), English, Arabian, ummm I am sure there are many more I don't know about.

I must admit to prejudice towards people with bad attitudes - pushy, demanding, big sales spiels, highly picky.

"I am serious about the shoes too - our last tennants in our padstow place were recent immigrants from a culture that doesnt wear shoes much. This meant they often walked outside barefoot, and then trod all the dirt and mud back inside the house and ruined our new carpet"

I assume they were Queenslanders, I didn't realise that Queenslanders had thier own culture.:D:p

I won't let a house out to people of certain cultures, the same as I won't let a house out to people of a particular gender, or a particular age...

Come on! Can we really prejudge people based on their background, their parents, or their gender?

Or even the way they spell? No, I would definately not do that ;) .

Do you take race into account when making decision on tenant?

A few years ago I would have said No
But for my 'no difference' attitude I got a length repair bill, over due rent and eventally a letter from a 'legal representative' group full of sob story and threat. Only tenant drama I've ever had.

So answer is YES, no consideration given what-so-ever

"i Am Serious About The Shoes Too - Our Last Tennants In Our Padstow Place Were Recent Immigrants From A Culture Th...at Doesnt Wear Shoes Much. This Meant They Often Walked Outside Barefoot, And Then Trod All The Dirt And Mud Back Inside The House And Ruined Our New Carpet"

I Assume They Were Queenslanders, I Didn't Realise That Queenslanders Had Thier Own Culture.:d:p

Rofl..............

Hi all,

Are we allowed positive discrimination?? Give me an asian illegal immigrant any day.

They don't want any trouble, prefer not to be noticed, and always pay their rent on time. They never damage property, and have no complaints about anything in the house.

My brother had some in a unit he had 20 years ago. Absolutely the best tenants ever.

bye

I am serious about the shoes too - our last tennants in our padstow place were recent immigrants from a culture that doesnt wear shoes much. This meant they often walked outside barefoot, and then trod all the dirt and mud back inside the house and ruined our new carpet.

but as a 6th generation white australian, I'm just as likely to do that with shoes on. In fact, it's probably more likely than say, the asian culture of not wearing shoes inside the house at all...

it's hard to actually answer the question though... if I had a brand new property, straight off the production line (so to speak.. :p) i'd be less inclined to put brand new migrants in than if it was an older house. If they had a good clean rental history, i'd be ok with it though.
This is purely based on the fact that they may have different cultural ideas on say cleanliness, like was pointed out by witzl. They may not have a complete understanding of our laws wrt property and what is expected of them.

And yes, I know, it's equally possible that derro drongo bogan aussies could be just as bad, or worse, could just not care.. where as the above mentioned migrants are more likely to be trying really hard to make a good life here.

I think I just sat on the fence, hey..

Are we allowed positive discrimination?? Give me an asian illegal immigrant any day.

It's the same thing (As I said earlier, there's no positive/negative discrimination, it's neutral). You would just be discriminating against all non-asians or legal immigrants, who will then complain and sue you. Ridiculous no?

but as a 6th generation white australian, I'm just as likely to do that with shoes on. In fact, it's probably more likely than say, the asian culture of not wearing shoes inside the house at all...

it's hard to actually answer the question though... if I had a brand new property, straight off the production line (so to speak.. :p) i'd be less inclined to put brand new migrants in than if it was an older house. If they had a good clean rental history, i'd be ok with it though.
This is purely based on the fact that they may have different cultural ideas on say cleanliness, like was pointed out by witzl. They may not have a complete understanding of our laws wrt property and what is expected of them.

And yes, I know, it's equally possible that derro drongo bogan aussies could be just as bad, or worse, could just not care.. where as the above mentioned migrants are more likely to be trying really hard to make a good life here.

I think I just sat on the fence, hey..

Wow. People really have blinkered views of "other" cultures don't they (?)
First assumption = negative , assuming their cleanliness standard won;t be up to "ours"...... oh, but hang on, it;s been qualified "one indian / singapoeran peson left my kitchen a mess" (forgoet that the following sentence talks about others of the same race being spotless)... but people STILL hold that view...

Seriously, "we" or "you" (since I am not one of "you"as has been clearly pointed out ;-)) are not that better than anyone / everyone else in the world, but you won;t be able to beleive that until you epxerience more than your own backyard & get past your childhood /highschool experiences and level of thinking - expand your mind & you might just find less things to feel negatively about

Last edited:
I don't ask and don't get told. However, our most recent tenants have a maori/pacific islander sounding surname and I had a call from the agent after the first inspection. 'They are looking after the place, and she is such a nice lady, it is just that all the bedrooms are so messy you can't see the floor and the 2 lounge rooms have beds in them too, but there is nothing we can do about that.' I just love my property manager.:mad: It seems they've moved in half the tribe. I hope I can get away with saying that as I personally belong to 2 tribes by marriage.

Now I have to decide whether to give about 8 people the boot at the end of a 6 month lease without being able to give them the real reason why.

So, if I hade a choice, would I discriminate based on race? Not particularly, rather than refuse to rent, I would perhaps discuss issues such as the number of people permited to reside considering the space available and their needing to be included on the lease and possible cleaning implications of residual strong cooking odours. Can't think of anything else that would impact negatively on my IP's regarding different cultural practices.

Not quite on the topic, but is it acceptable to include a condition on a lease that no candles, incense or other sources of naked flame be permitted inside? We have a timber rental house and fire is a real concern.

Louise

I voted YES, but only because of the cooking smells. I once lived in a flat that was rented by (I think) a Singapore or Indian person and the state of the kitchen was appalling.

Having said that, just had a Singapore couple in an IP and no probs with the kitchen.

You only have to look at the problem tenant threads on here, and I bet that most of them are 'skips' or of European descent.

Having said that, I'd be inclined also to reject older people. Just saw on ACA or TT last night about a LL who wanted to evict some pensioners so he could renovate and lift the rents. He's perfectly entitled to do it and did it all legally, but got painted as the evil money hungry LL. So its kinda tough increasing rents on pensioners since you'll end up tea-time TV.

...its kinda tough increasing rents on pensioners since you'll end up tea-time TV.

Hence, TT actually did pensioners a dis-service because now it'll be even harder for them to find a place to rent. I agree I'd rather not rent to them either for the same reason, but then again it would just be their income that gets them a no from me, not their age.

i prefer to rent to middle class - upper class are of the ilk of "make people wait for their money", and the lower class are "where is MY money?".

middle class are afraid of "going down" to lower class so they pay everything on time to avoid the embarrasment of being evicted, blacklisted, whatever...

...generally...

i prefer to rent to middle class - upper class are of the ilk of "make people wait for their money", and the lower class are "where is MY money?".

middle class are afraid of "going down" to lower class so they pay everything on time to avoid the embarrasment of being evicted, blacklisted, whatever...

...generally...

Not been my experience at all. I have found zero relationship between class and paying rent on time / level of demands.

Back