does a house Alarm add value?

So you pay for a house alarm to be fitted , I think there about $1000 /1500 .

Do you think it adds value?

Not for me.

In fact if I bought I would probably cancel the monitoring contract.

I had one at my previous home, Free install with monitoring contract, waste of money IMHO.

No one takes any notice of alarms and by the time the monitoring guy contacts you; and then sends out a security guy; all your valuables will be gone.

Good doors front and back with 2 security locks on each and decent locks on windows would impress me more.

Yes for me.

It's added on the valuer's report down the bottom. It just adds a little bit of extra feature when compared to other houses.

By how much? I am not sure.

Just ordered a couple of vals on my prop and both of them have added the basic house alarm that I got in their notes.

We've had one for many years. They won't stop a burglar if they want something from inside "my" house, but for an "any house will do" quick burglary, they will move to a house that has less chance of making a noise and draw attention, or unlikely to be connected to a control room who can quickly send someone around. That is straight from the mouth of the police who used to come to our neighbourhood watch meetings.

So, they have their uses, and I like to know when I enter the house that there is nobody inside, which happened to a friend once.

For a rental, I'd not bother. In the house we had an alarm system, not one tenant kept it up. They didn't see any value in it.

Not for me either.
Been in our current house 2 1/2 years and it has a pretty decent system, may have cost a few k to set up?
Haven't used it once...

Upsides - reduction in annual insurance premiums, peace of mind, I know when there's a false or a real issue by the sector which has activated. Can be a plus for tenants.

Downside: one more code (or key fob).

Too many variables we have not been advised such as.

- is it a high crime rate area
- is it a feature expected by tenants in that area

Normally I would say no in that spending the money would not give any return.

As Scott pointed out the value is in the form of reduced insurance and perhaps slightly higher rent (area dependant ofcourse).

Back