Does anybody have dish washing drawers?

I'm wondering who has used dish drawers in their houses (or IPs).

I'm thinking of donating my dishwasher to our middle son to put into his new house and thinking that with just three of us left at home, perhaps we should look at dish drawers.

I know how a dishwasher can smell if it is not run each day, and I'm thinking we can either fill both drawers, or use one drawer mostly and only use both if we need it after a bigger dinner.

I've had three Asko dishwashers, and love them. Asko don't do drawers (AFIK) so I would be looking at Fisher and Paykel. I don't know how good these are. Anybody have these and care to share their thoughts.

Things I will not compromise on are needing the machine to dry the dishes well and quiet operation.

Last two houses we have installed the double draw systems from F&P. Never had any problems at all. Easy to stack, wash one while still loading the other.

Can't advise on cleaning through, it's not in my job description.

Yes - we put a pair in 14 years ago. Steam leaked out of the units ruining the underside timber in the joinery. They are grear drawer units. Would never buy FP again.

I hate big dishwashers - the ones that take more than a day to stack and that nobody wants to empty.
I installed a F&P in my kitchen at home about 8 years ago. I just got one - deliberately.
It runs twice a day. So that's over 5,500 washes. It dries the dishes and never seems noisy, but I don't have anything to compare it to.
I had to get it repaired once, but that was easy.
I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

I had the f&p dishdrawer in my first IP. It lasted 8 years of tenant use which I thought was pretty ordinary.. But in the year I lived in the IP and used it I had no complaints. It was quiet, could still fit in a decent load, and had no probs with dirty dishes.. From memory they came out relatively dry.

I'd recommend it for PPOR use, but don't trust it's quality for IP use.

We paid about $1600 for an electrolux and it was utter rubbish. It broke down within months of the warranty running out (maybe 3 years?) and was unable to be repaired. We had the repair man out 6 times.

We paid about $1600 for an electrolux and it was utter rubbish. It broke down within months of the warranty running out (maybe 3 years?) and was unable to be repaired. We had the repair man out 6 times.

Wow thats terrible. The F&P units used to have a horrendous reputation but I think they fixed the issues in later models. I'm surprised to hear Electrolux has issues, they are usually a great brand. Perhaps they're having the same issues with a new model that F&P sorted out 15 years ago :).

we have a FP 2 draw at work been okay , it does flood occasionally it seems very plastic compared to my bosch at work (i do not think Bosch do draws) I have 3 bosch DW (2 in IPs) and love them.

Our F&P dishdrawer is still going strong after 13 years. We've had it looked at once but all good since then. The trouble we had was finding someone that undergone the special training required to work on one of these machines. It might be different now as they are more popular now than they were back when we needed to get it looked at.
When this one dies, I'd probably replace it with another dishdrawer.

F&P thumbs down

We installed a FP dish drawer in an investment property in 2007 and it never worked properly, we took it out and sent it to the dump 2 years later and installed a bunnings standard in SS. No problems with that one since.

I have F&P dishdrawers in my house and a single ss dishdrawer at an IP. The plastic looking one at home suffered a cracked panel that was easily replaced by the recommended service agent. The one in the IP was clogged once when new young tenants moved into the IP. I believe the tenants did not rinse their dishes before stacking in the dd. However, in light that the outlet hose is quite narrow, it is possible that the dd pump is not very powerful in discharging waste water and food remnants from dishes to be cleaned.

DD cleaning is not very effective and I have to resort to soaking of dishes before stacking. I think some other more advanced dd with steaming function will do a much better job of cleaning. I like the concept of dd but it could be enhanced to do a better cleaning job. If Bosch does one I would go for it next time.

Back