Does Better carpet = better tenants?

I am trying to decide between cheap (and nasty) carpet or a better, more expensive one for a rental appartment in Parramatta? We are trying to attract a better quality tenant this time around. The unit location is pretty good but the block is pretty average. Not sure whether it will be over-capitalising.

Will a budget Solution Dyed Nylon attract a better tenant than a cheap polypropylene? The feel of the SDN is so much nicer and I think it will wear just as well if not better.

Opinions and experience welcome please. Has anyone spent the extra for a SDN and been happy or disappointed with it?

I am trying to decide between cheap (and nasty) carpet or a better, more expensive one for a rental appartment in Parramatta? We are trying to attract a better quality tenant this time around. The unit location is pretty good but the block is pretty average. Not sure whether it will be over-capitalising.

Will a budget Solution Dyed Nylon attract a better tenant than a cheap polypropylene? The feel of the SDN is so much nicer and I think it will wear just as well if not better.

Opinions and experience welcome please. Has anyone spent the extra for a SDN and been happy or disappointed with it?

To some extent, quality of tenants depends on rent: higher rent means better tenants. (Note that there's an old saying: there are first class passengers, and there are passengers that travel first class.)

Take a look around at comparable properties getting the rent you want and check out the fit and finish. Do whatever it takes to justify the money you're asking.

OTOH just get your property manager to filter the tenants a bit better.

I've stayed from cheap and nasty. Cheap and good is not that much more expensive. Good value is usually better value in the long run (as in might wear better and thus last longer).

The unit location is pretty good but the block is pretty average.

What's the other tenants/owners like?Do they look after there properties?
Check body corp minutes-Participation,is maintenance being carried out accordingly etc.

I am trying to decide between cheap (and nasty) carpet or a better, more expensive one for a rental appartment in Parramatta?

What's the rest of the unit like?Reno'd or you intend to reno?

IF reno needed?Or just carpet,cheap or expensive,i'd look @ answer 1 to proceed either way.

Depends on the rental expectations.

If at the lower end of the scale then an expensive carpet won't get you more money. Similarly a cheap/crappy carpet will turn away renters from an expensive rental.

Most carpet places have rental property carpet offers, often good value. Look around and you may find something with both looks and a reasonable price.
Marg

Hi Jclegg,

If you are in parramatta - check out Kruger carpets. They have warehouse carpets which are really cheap. Thats where I get my carpets for my rental properties.

Carpet

I put down the cheaper carpet in 1 room in my house that was rented for 4 years. The rest of the house was 100% pure wool.

The cheaper carpet now has to be replaced as the stains won't clean out while the wool carpet which is now 13 yrs old, is still going strong and seems to clean up a lot better.

Hope this helps.

If you are going to keep your property for a while, it's much better having the more expensive carpet. It's right that most cheaper carpet is harder to keep clean and will have to be replaced a lot sooner than the better carpet. My first lot of carpet lasted about 12 years despite some terrible tenants. I've just replaced it with even better carpet which I got for a good deal.

Thanks everyone, I think we are going to go with a SDN. I have found what I think is a good deal $38 fully laid for a reasonable quality Redbook carpet.

I will also check out Kruger carpets in case they can do better.

Go for the best that you can afford. I remember being a renter: I wanted a nice place but there was no way in hell I was going to pay for any extras. It's a lot easier cleaning up stains from the ugly vinyl than the beautifull carpets.

Personally, I would never have carpet. I've now lived for so long in floor boards or tiles. The last time I vacuumed carpet was at my mother's place, and I vowed I would never live in a carpeted place!!

Tenants can always lay their own rugs down...

Back