Does having Professional photos get a higher return on your investment property?

Does having Professional photos get a higher return on your investment property?

• Yes

Votes: 54 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters
Photos

Having good photos is the first step to getting people in the door, paying for them is an option maybe you should see what photos they currently have for pother properties on their vacancy list. My advice - a good agency will have trained a staff member to have the expertise in this field, it allows that agency to act quickly, take the photos, post them and get your property rented quicker with high volume and high quality tenants to choose. My agency took some amazing shots, and my place is just a little old cottage Qlder in Ipswich.
Let me know how you go.
:)

i would back it in that the 'professional' photos are taken by a 'professional' property manager!!

It is not hard to take a decent photo of a rental property! Anyone with a camera can walk into a room, make sure it is neat & tidy (ie not rubbish brooms mops etc are left lying around - it amazes me how many photos on the net i see that have crap everywhere in them!) and take a happy snap of the kitchen, lounge, bathroom and and any other area of the property photo worthy.

$110 for this service is a crock and should come under either the leasing fee or the advertising costs (unless of course the owner has beaten down the leasing fee/advertising costs and the agent is just trying to make up the short fall in time taken to go out to the property and take the photos then the fee is justified)

i would back it in that the 'professional' photos are taken by a 'professional' property manager!!

It is not hard to take a decent photo of a rental property! Anyone with a camera can walk into a room, make sure it is neat & tidy (ie not rubbish brooms mops etc are left lying around - it amazes me how many photos on the net i see that have crap everywhere in them!) and take a happy snap of the kitchen, lounge, bathroom and and any other area of the property photo worthy.

$110 for this service is a crock and should come under either the leasing fee or the advertising costs (unless of course the owner has beaten down the leasing fee/advertising costs and the agent is just trying to make up the short fall in time taken to go out to the property and take the photos then the fee is justified)

That do you call a professional Property manager?
They can’t do everything to an expert standard

As well as being a Professional Photographer they have to be a Professional Property Manager doing the day to day work eg ( leasing, OFI, routines,
Expert in property management legislation, Arrears ,Maintenance, Have a degree in English to write Property scrip’s, Sales agent to show tenants properties and up sell them
Manage tenant inquiries, negotiating skills. BDM, The list goes on no one is that good that they can do all of these things.
X 100 and thinks start falling apart photos become blurry scripts get shorter with spelling mistakes, routines misses, so on so on my proof is on realestate.com.au right now
And in the number of complaints we see daily on this site.
I would prefer my Property managers to be an expert at Property management and leave the photos, scripts to experts

Sorry you hit a nerve

We had professional photos taken (included in commission) when we sold mum's house. We were amazed at the angles the photos were taken from - obviously the professional photographer was money well spent.

Anyone with a decent camera can take good photos. The difference is that a professional photographer (not the PM) will use angles and shots you probably would never think of to show the property to its best advantage.

If you pay, make sure YOU own the photos for future use if you change PMs.
Marg

Lol i understand about that 'nerve'!! It drives me nuts to see poor quality photos on listings.. that is just laziness by agents...

I am a property manager - i do all of those millions of things that you speak of above, i also know how to use a auto focusing camera, point, push the button and take a photo.

i also know how to look and check the photo before i post it on the internet, its really not that hard.

Its also not that hard to ensure that the property is clean and presentable before one points and pushes the button. It drives me nuts when i see photos on the web that are supposed to be 'selling' the property to tenants and they have crap such as dirty dishes, clothes on the floor, mops and brooms in the shots and not to mention the blurry/dark out of focus photos they place up there

And finally but most importantly... most owners dont want to spend the money to employ professional photographers/script writers for their ads.. so as always... you get what you pay for!

Just because you are paying them soes not gaurantee that you will get a better photo. If they turn up on an overcast day, then the photo will be worse than what you might take yourself on a sunny day. Rural properties often have vendor supplied photos of the farm taken in good seasons many years before the property sale.

It’s a good conversation

From experience everyone thinks they are a good photographer and I would agree that a lot of people have the ability to take great photos

If you were selling your property would you take the photos yourself or pay the money?

Now not everyone has a $2000 camera. If you say yes to taking them yourself imagine doing it with a $100 camera

Would you still do it?

One of the last properties I listed

3 agents appraised the property at $360 to $380

I was one of the agents. I recommended paying to get the below photos done

http://www.open2view.com.au/Property/154812

P.S I didn’t take these photos I am one of the people who think they are good at taking photos my last camera cost $1500

They had 1 month before they had to move out. Took the photos, listed the properties at a higher price for the first 2 weeks

In 1 week in was rented for $420

Professional photos are not just for selling I would recommend anyone who has an investment property to look at their marketing photos and scripts make the call

This could be your property

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-brisbane-405028410

He he, that second example is really bad...especially the pic you can't even see!

First lot are great angles, but still can't get over how people leave personal stuff everywhere. Even small things, like I don't want to see their towels in the bathroom, cleaning products visible & stuff stored on top of the cabinet - yuk. That shot of the office type room has junk everywhere! The kids room is messy. The bedroom has stuff piled up in the corner. The kitchen has boxes on top of the cupboards & the dishrack is out when it needn't be. Lounge is better but mess on the couch & bad pictures on the walls. Front porch shows closthes line & pegs.

I'd be happy to pay for good shots & for the photographer to tell me what to put out of sight :)

That's my rant, thanks for listening ;)

He he, that second example is really bad...especially the pic you can't even see!

First lot are great angles, but still can't get over how people leave personal stuff everywhere. Even small things, like I don't want to see their towels in the bathroom, cleaning products visible & stuff stored on top of the cabinet - yuk. That shot of the office type room has junk everywhere! The kids room is messy. The bedroom has stuff piled up in the corner. The kitchen has boxes on top of the cupboards & the dishrack is out when it needn't be. Lounge is better but mess on the couch & bad pictures on the walls. Front porch shows closthes line & pegs.

I'd be happy to pay for good shots & for the photographer to tell me what to put out of sight :)

That's my rant, thanks for listening ;)

agree I have much better looking houses but didn’t fit the story I wanted to tell.

the owner just had a kid and was hard to get everything out of the way but the photos showed that the house looked big and got tenants in the door

That link is really bad and considering its listed at $500pw and took me less than 1 min to find is not good

Last edited:
Lol i understand about that 'nerve'!! It drives me nuts to see poor quality photos on listings.. that is just laziness by agents...

I am a property manager - i do all of those millions of things that you speak of above, i also know how to use a auto focusing camera, point, push the button and take a photo.

i also know how to look and check the photo before i post it on the internet, its really not that hard.

Its also not that hard to ensure that the property is clean and presentable before one points and pushes the button. It drives me nuts when i see photos on the web that are supposed to be 'selling' the property to tenants and they have crap such as dirty dishes, clothes on the floor, mops and brooms in the shots and not to mention the blurry/dark out of focus photos they place up there

And finally but most importantly... most owners dont want to spend the money to employ professional photographers/script writers for their ads.. so as always... you get what you pay for!

I don't beleive most people NEED photos by professionals like they might want for say a wedding for the memories.....

All it takes is someone who does their job properly, like goofy said.. And since Properoty mangers do offer this service, one would think they ought to do a reasonable job of it.. afterall, the landlord is getting nothing for free, it's all part of the agreed thigns that the PM will do for the total maoney they get - even if it is a "million" thinngs like russell peter suggested, which I somehow doubt........

I think rusell peter was perhaps thinking of other issues as well as photos when he wrote his post.

If a PM finds it too hard to organise the advertising for my property, are they really the best people to advertise my property ?

It’s a good conversation

From experience everyone thinks they are a good photographer and I would agree that a lot of people have the ability to take great photos

If you were selling your property would you take the photos yourself or pay the money?

Now not everyone has a $2000 camera. If you say yes to taking them yourself imagine doing it with a $100 camera

Would you still do it?
Hell yes !
One of the last properties I listed

3 agents appraised the property at $360 to $380

I was one of the agents. I recommended paying to get the below photos done

http://www.open2view.com.au/Property/154812

P.S I didn’t take these photos I am one of the people who think they are good at taking photos my last camera cost $1500

They had 1 month before they had to move out. Took the photos, listed the properties at a higher price for the first 2 weeks

In 1 week in was rented for $420

Professional photos are not just for selling I would recommend anyone who has an investment property to look at their marketing photos and scripts make the call

This could be your property

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-brisbane-405028410

Mate, seriously, for the average place, it is not that hard

How many of the photos which eet customer's expecatations do you honsetly think HAD to be taken with $2k cameras ?

Do you sell prestige proerty or somethign ? I've seen the ads on RE.com and straight away niticed the difference in the photgraphs. But these places were all $5million - $30 million prestige properties, waterfront, wine cellars, and all that posh stuff (every now & then I get bored) .. not $440k villa's.. and they were FOR SALE, not for rent........

Pro photos, if done correctly, give the impression of greater space due to different angles, lighting and lenses that they use. They also put in post processing work to get the photos up to scratch.

This may not make much difference compared to a good amateur in the tight rental market, but if I am selling then I want to convert every lead possible.

Pro photos, if done correctly, give the impression of greater space due to different angles, lighting and lenses that they use. They also put in post processing work to get the photos up to scratch.

This may not make much difference compared to a good amateur in the tight rental market, but if I am selling then I want to convert every lead possible.[/QUOTE]

Can see the benefit when selling sure.

Back