Does Insurance cover a Exploded/burst hot water system?

Have insurance with Terri Scheer for an IP that includes both property and tenants.

Just received a call from the PM that the hot water system in that IP has burst/exploded and they are contacting plumbers to get a quote for repair/replacement.

My initial reaction was no worries, covered by insurance. I'm now fairly sure that insurance would just cover damage from the burst hot water system not the actual replace/replacement. Never made a claim and can't find any info so I don't know.

A search on this forum gave a lot of fascinating info (don't use this forum while at work) but no answer.

Does any one here know if insurace would cover this?

Bit the bullet and called Terri Scheer (TS).

Basically no, TS does not cover the repair/replacement of a hot water system if it explodes. They will cover damage to the property caused by the explosion but that is it.

Tried to find out under what circumstances would they pay for the hot water system ie house burnt down but could not get a clear answer. Was told only if the hot water system was destroyed in an "insured event". Did not want to be transferred continously so finished the call and sent an email asking for info.

Received an 80 plus page pdf.

Hot water system falls under "domestic fixtures and fittings"

Turns out that nothing is coverd for fire, explosion, earth quake etc.

So the buidling could burn be burnt to the ground by a non tenant related fire and i would not get a cent.

This is BIGGG news to me. Still getting used it. Now wondering what I'm paying for :confused:

Check exactly what is covered your policy with Terri Scheer - there are many different policies out there and you must choose the one to suit the cover your require.

We have a policy with that company that covers landlord's responsibilities only. We have separate building insurance. In the event of a fire, it is the building insurance that pays out.
Marg

Hi Marg, thanks for your reply.

Terri Scheer has two basic policies, land lord and building.

Took 4 emails to confirm that I am covered for burning buildings under these policies.

Dread to think of how difficult making a claim would be :rolleyes:

MM, my experience in life, is there are 2 types of insurance people. The ones that sell you the policy, and the ones that you approach about a claim. I am sure that you would appreciate, that they are 2 very different people. One benefit I have noticed over the years however has been what they call "plain english" policies. On a number of occassions, I have read the policy document, and in my mind (pun not intended) believe it to be ambiguos, and then rung the Ins company, and asked the person to actually read the policy document with me. I cannot tell you how surprised I have been, to hear " its not menat to read that way". In my mind, bingo, if the document can be read this way, the insured is covered. I have been more successful, in this manner, than unsuccessful. Of late, I have been experiencing sharp pains in the leg, so I amn wondering if they have a doll, with my name on it, that they put pins into every now and then. Moral, dont give up.
cheers

Back