Does your REA give gifts on purchase or sale?

From PM flowers on arrival of baby, bowl of fruit in hotal when I am visiting, BBQ held in my honour. Its all good :eek:)

Never received anything...:(

Oh yeah, as a seller, the receptionist couldn't find my cheque once, and as a buyer, the receptionist couldn't find my key once, that were all occurred after settlement, would that count...:D

From a well known Australian developer, on signing the contract we received a lovely white parka with the developments name on it (very upmarket) and a windbreaker; and two baseball caps. On settlement (12 months later) we were given a bottle of Moet, and a coffee table book about the History of the Area where the development is.

We are settling soon on a Marina berth in the same development, I am hoping for a boat! :p

My experience has shown that the closer the property to the coast, the less generous the agent. My first home 50k from CBD I got a toolbox full of bits and pieces to help settle into my home, the second, 25kms from CBD I got a bottle of red wine, the third, right on the coast, I had the keys left for me in an envelope at reception, not even a smile, let alone a gift.

Its kind of interesting...

Say you pay what $300-$400k for a house.
agent or broker or whatever sends you champagne, box of chocs... whatever.

In effect, you paid for it (or will) to begin with...

So (just throwing this out) are you happy that you gave someone money to go buy something for you... if that makes sense?

(and yes I do send out stuff for every client)

I think we were meant to get a pressie with the purchase of our PPOR - the agent asked whether we liked red or white wine. I said neither, we drink scotch ;)

She must have thought that was too cheeky because we got nothing :(

Hiya,

Both agencies that I have worked for used to always give gifts (hampers and/or wine) to both the purchaser and vendor of every sale, which always seemed to be very well received as neither party saw it coming in most cases.

Just a little something to create a bit of goodwill. The agency orders in bulk so it doesn't cost much, but, often helps to generate repeat / referral business. Not on it's own, per se, but the little things all add up.

The agency that I bought a property from last year was a sole operator practise, only a couple of months into business. She didn't give a gift at all (to either party), and it wasn't until some time later that this actually occured to me. I can't say I was overly surprised, or disappointed, really, as I didn't miss it at the time. Certainly isn't the difference between using her services again, or not.

Cheers

James.

Our first REA sent us tickets to dinner and a band, I couldnt go but the missus and her friend had a good night. They did it again the following year which I thought was nice of them. No such luck on the third though.

The other properties were through other agents and we got diddly squat but that has no bearing on who we use. Its all about what we buy.

Its kind of interesting...

Say you pay what $300-$400k for a house.
agent or broker or whatever sends you champagne, box of chocs... whatever.

In effect, you paid for it (or will) to begin with...

So (just throwing this out) are you happy that you gave someone money to go buy something for you... if that makes sense?

(and yes I do send out stuff for every client)

Now I've had a taste, I'd much prefer that they spend a little of my well spent money on a present for me, just so I can feel special, than just keep all my money to themselves. :rolleyes: If I had to pay extra for the present... well of course it would be my perogative to change my mind:D

Just a little something to create a bit of goodwill. The agency orders in bulk so it doesn't cost much, but, often helps to generate repeat / referral business. Not on it's own, per se, but the little things all add up.

Absolutely agree JamesGG. A little bit certainly goes a long way. Gotta be good for business.

I think I have been spoilt now and I may be very dissapointed on future purchases/sales if presents are not bestowed upon me. :D

Sunshine

I had the keys left for me in an envelope at reception, not even a smile, let alone a gift.

This has happened three times to us - ironically including on our two biggest purchases! Very off-putting. I must admit to feeling somewhat deflated on going to pick up keys after settlement on a very expensive property and just having the receptionist look for them & then hand them over with a casual "Here you go". No greeting from the agent, not even a handshake, let alone a present!!:( If ever we have a property to sell, won't be going to them!

Other times we've had flowers delivered, which was nice and certainly made me feel well-disposed towards those particular REA's.

On a tangent...

I've had friends list & sell houses with plasma tvs apparently this works also.
But when they were negotiating the price... without plasma was $1000 less.

First house PPOR a few years ago we received a bottle of bubbly - 1st IP we received an envelope with 23 loose keys (each set consisted of 9 keys & we got 2 & a bit sets!) on settlement and a fridge magnet along with the first monthly statement WOW!

Service/sale process was good though & we are happy with purchases - thats really what counts isn't it?

Cheers

Stella

Mine does,
He had a really hot employee come around with this hamper of really trendy stuff, it was discusting! but I think it was a very nice gesture nonetheless.

Nothing at the Time of Settlement ....

But strangely, a week later I arrived home to find a framed photo of my purchase sitting on my doorstep ... as it was my first IP I was pretty chuffed!

DJ

We just had delivered by the REA, 3 days after settlement, a large hamper with bubbly, heaps of choccies, and a large "Mr Hooker Bear" and a pile of colouring in stuff for the kids...kids were stoked with the bear and pencils and we have enjoyed the rest - a nice touch delivered with the usual "if your ever in the market for another IP, just give me a call, I'll see what I can do...".

A nice touch and when we are ready to buy again, would be more inclined to give her a call and see what she has..so good marketing in my opinion..

As a tenant i got a bottle of bubbly for xmas, and at my last rental I got a bunch of flowers delivered the day we moved in , quiet nice.

Finally got my first gifts!

My selling agent gave me a bottle of Red wine, and my buying agent gave us a gift basket with champagne, cheese, tissues, and other assorted "moving in" nick naks. :cool:

Back