Domain or Real Estate.com

Has anyone any idea which site has more traffic in Victoria. I think Real Estate.com is the better laid out site with more features and much better selection criteria, enlarged photo process and how many viewings box. But am wondering if we should be advertising on both or is Domain the most used one? (Sorry absolute typ about Domain being the best, I meant RE.com)

Last edited:
Has anyone any idea which site has more traffic in Victoria. I think Domain is the better laid out site with more features and much better selection criteria, enlarged photo process and how many viewings box. But am wondering if we should be advertising on both or is Domain the most used one?

re.com.au for sure

run a poll

Unfortunately re.com (bloody expensive!)

I remember a while back when taking enquiry rates for re.com vs walk-ins, domain, real estate view etc - re.com was well over 90%.

However if you will be privately renting you will not be able to use re.com unless you go through an agent or another company who can do it on your behalf.

Why not do both? Heck we advertise on 5 internet sights plus database and other means.

What if the buyer who is going to give you the best offer is on RE and you advertised on Domain only?

What if the buyer who is going to give you the best offer is on Domain and you advertised on RE only?

I work as a real estate agent and you cannot pick where the buyer is going to come from, marketing is all about throwing the widest net to catch as many buyers as possible and pick the best one.

What you are doing is making your property to the purchaser's go from unaware to aware.

marketing is all about throwing the widest net to catch as many buyers as possible and pick the best one.

Pardon? I thought REA's were 'experts':eek:, had qualified leads, massive current databases of active buyers........ So much for all the usual spiel about targeted buyers, it sounds more like hit and miss.

(OK, that is a bit tongue in cheek but also very true).

Back to the story.....

What is the point of believing the marketing hype of either RE.com or domain? Each market comes historically from its own newspaper buying numbers - that is, if people buy the Herald-Sun, SMH or Telegraph will depend upon which site will attract more hits in a particular area (doesn't hold true for people who don't live in the area that they are investing eg: someone on the Lower North Shore in Sydney generally read the SMH & will search domain regardless of the area that they are looking for a property, likewise News.com.au readers will go to re.com

Most agents have accounts with both re.com and domain as well as a handful of other lesser known sites eg homehound, myhome etc, hence use both as you don't know where your buyer will come from (I generally only look to one of the two websites as very few are only advertised on one site).

Interestingly enough, I have been monitoring the amount of hits on our ad, and every day it was approx 5/6. The day before the bill came in for the RE fees, it jumped 100. Am I too cynical in thinking someone was sittingthere just hitting the site??

Interestingly enough, I have been monitoring the amount of hits on our ad, and every day it was approx 5/6. The day before the bill came in for the RE fees, it jumped 100. Am I too cynical in thinking someone was sittingthere just hitting the site??

Not necessarily, most adverts are listed on Wed/Thurs and hits tend to happen Thurs/Frid in planning for what to inspect, saturday hits are to confirm open times etc, the rest are minimal.

Unfortunately, the data doesn't record unique views only total views (so you can hit a site 20 times over).

re.com by far!! Both sales & rentals in our office see far, far higher traffic from re.com with hits from domain being almost surprising :)

Back