Domain Vs. Real Estate.com.au: Which is better?

What other features annoy you about the sites? Or maybe you have a favourite feature?
Personally the ability to select multiple suburbs with a radius and then remove certain suburbs is great

Realestate.com.au and Domain have very different listing volumes.
They also have different audience participation and geographic reach. In some states the difference is as high as 50%.
As others have already mentioned, in other states neither of the above is the dominant portal.
Allhomes is strong in the ACT, Reiwa in Western Australia is big also.

Many people know they need to search multiple sites to canvas the entire market and the data shows that many referring sites are actually each other (domain to Realestate and vice versa) as that user goes from one portal site to the next because of this exact reason (check all listings, some agents list on one and not the others etc etc).

There are 40 million Australian searches for real estate related terms on google every month. If you're looking to list with an agent in a particular area, perhaps see who dominates the search engine space in that particular area as a starting point.

From my own perspective, I would also like to hear the likes/dislikes of the current portals in terms of features as we are always looking to improve our offering.

Domain to take on realestate.com in Queensland soon

Although DOMAIN has been leading the way in southern states of Australia, it's rival realestate.com was & is in truth to be told, owning the Queensland market currently.
Don't be fooled into thinking that this would come from realestate.com being so good at their jobs, as they are not!
Markets need competition to keep them honest & DOMAIN soon realised that their past decisions had allowed their biggest competitor to win the market by a landslide!
When DOMAIN did not step up to the plate creating the online presence required to compete, vendors & buyers became educated to think only realestate.com. for their search engine. The agents then have had no choice but to fulfil the advertising requests of their clients, to;
Fit the expensive realestate.com bill themselves or
Pass it on to the consumer.
After droughts that have reached the coast, a GFC & two floods, selling property has been increasingly hard on some agencies. Think what you will of real estate agents, but in their defence, most agents/agencies don't get paid weekly only by the commission from sales they earn, especially those who don't have a rent roll to fall back on.

Here is a website to read more about it:

http://gotoproperty.com.au/2014/09/21/domain-to-take-on-realestate-com-in-queensland/

Squiiz.com.au

The Real Estate industry is currently launching it's own new website. real-estate.com.au has been increasing prices to ridiculous levels, some by as much as 800% increase. The industry recognises they only have 2 choices - fight them or start passing on more of the ridiculous fees.

RE.com.au have also been positioning themselves to begin contacting sellers directly to encourage them to spend more on their website with upgraded packages. RE Agents know what marketing is required for each individual property and the accuracy of the claims made by website about their so called results. Agents understand their market and what spending is required for a Seller and does not agree that RE.com.au should be directly speaking with sellers and upselling to them.

Therefore right now, every state is being introduced with the new industry owned portal about to be launched.

Recently the industry revealed their new portal name as "Squiiz". Networks already registered include LJ Hooker, REMAX, Century 21, Ray White, Harcourts, Raine & Horne, PRD Nationwide, Belle Property, The Professionals, First National and Place plus a large number of independents have joined via IRENE (Independent Real Estate Network).

Agents will be looking to begin reducing or stopping uploading to RE.com.au and transferring their listings to www.squiiz.com.au in the very near future.

Interesting news Kevin, thanks. I actually like allhomes the most, which is frustrating because I hated those Vince Sorrenti ads. RE.com.au was always a preference for me over Domain for utility, haven't looked at domain for a while so will have to head back and look

One "feature" of Domain that annoys me no end is how you filter properties for viewing. If you want to view 2 bedroom properties, the only option you can select for bedrooms is " 2 or more" which obviously returns you results with 2,3,4,5 bedrooms. It's a bit silly

Use the 'advanced' search in domain.
Then you can.

In fact, I find you can't do a set number of rooms with RE.

Can anyone show me how? On RE I can only do the '2 or more' etc search.

RE usually just won't load on my mobile, so I use domain.

I find some properties are listed on RE (sydney) but not domain. Strange.

Logically, real estate agents should list on both.

Domain is better for me. Just like Seek is the best jobs page.

Can you recommend any other job-hunting websites?
I had a look, but it seems anything that is on any other website will be on Seek anyway.
I'd be interested to know if there are jobs out there that are not on seek, but can be sought anywhere else.

It depends where you are located. All Homes is very strong in ACT, it's their number one portal. In W.A. it's the REIWA website. In Victoria, Domain is dominant and in Qld it's all real-estate.com.au.

The industry will be looking to make www.squiiz.com.au a nationally based portal, fully supported by the industry.

Squiiz has a range of new products coming with the website including I believe an app. More details will no doubt be coming very soon :)

Back