Doncaster\Doncaster East?

Parts of DE can be remote from transport.

2-3 distinct parts to the suburb - the "Tunstall/Devon Plaza end" (South of Doncatser Rd) plus the area around the Blackburn Rd/George St Junction, with smaller/older houses - going through to the Mcmansions as you head north (nearer to the Pines SC).

Prices seem pretty flat at the moment, and I am not sure what the rental market is like in the area (quite a few OO's).

Cheers,

The Y-man

Been driving around that area in the past month to inspect property with my buddy. Love the area.

The recently refurbished shopping complex is great! Especially the city view at the food court.

For me, I will buy one close to the park and ride.

Hi

My first post :)

I have a few in Doncaster, and have experienced good growth (both house and rental) especially with the new Shopping Centre refurbishments over the past few years. The area has done well with the "ripple effect" from prices increasing in Balywn North/Mont Albert North and Box Hill.

At the moment, anything around the Shoppingtown area seems to be doing well and still in demand, but it seems to be one of those areas where there are certain pockets which are not desirable to live in so choose carefully. Eastern Golf Course has recently voted to move their golf course to Wonga Park, so there may be a lot of spare land on the market in 5 or so years time which I can only assume will get gobbled up with housing development.

There is talk of extending Park and Ride, possibly across the road or with a second story on the top, and of course the never ending talk of a light rail from Shoppingtown to the city (but they have been talking about this for the past 10 years with no action)

I have found it a solid area though for investment over the past few years.

cheers

DrStew

This is a general comment about making certain calls on suburbs re: price rises. Almost all suburbs (I am thinking of Melbourne here) over the past ten years have received great growth. So IMHO, the real question to me about Doncaster (East), is what property type are looking at that is compatibile with the area demographics?

About 6-7 years ago there were a number of sites next to Doncaster Shopping Town (DST), where they were flogging apartments (one where the prestige motor car site is and the other which is still vacant, which didn't go anywhere. I know that a number larger townhouse/unit developments have occurred throughout the area.

As an aside when are they finishing the DST extension. Its taken ages, and parking is always a nightmare whilst construction is on. :(

Family has lived in North Balwyn for many years, and many school friends lived in Doncaster (East) area, and the comment about transport was a valid one, and I know it hasn't changed that much.

some nice pockets, especially near the parklands (ruffey lake park) - doncaster
the east doncaster pocket i like is the st clements rd to maggs street pocket that almost backs onto tunstall rd. the public transport is a bit better there- has the small bus that goes through the back streets, easy access to the freeway and to shopping centres.
i personally do not like the pockets that surround the pines sc - similar looking mcmansions, some of which have been pulled down and 3 units have replaced them.
manningham council does not seem to have placed enough restrictions on the amount of development that has occurred in some pockets.

Back