Don't want to buy near where I live... options?

So recently I went to talk to a mortgage broker to get a better idea of my borrowing limits and where I'm tracking in relation to deposit and upfront costs. I could borrow over $500k but I'm ideally looking for properties closer to $400k and under.

For a $400k property, I have enough money saved up to purchase a property if I purchase as a PPOR and claim the available grants and concessions, but not enough to purchase an equivalent valued property as an investment (I currently have enough for approx $250k). At the current rate I'm saving, I will have enough for a $400k investment plus buffer in about nine months. Parents are against being guarantors as they have just undertaken a property development that was way over budget.

Now here's the interesting bit, I don't want to buy a PPOR in Gladstone because it is likely that I will end up relocating as part of my job in a year or so anyway, nor do I see the market improving any time soon in Gladstone due to the amount of new housing supply under construction.

What would people do? I'm currently considering purchasing an investment in an established area of either Mackay (Inner north) or Brisbane's northside (the stretch between Kedron east through to Nundah). Preferably something well balanced with reasonable capital growth prospects and reasonable yields. Rocky is on the radar too.

Am I overlooking my own backyard, overlooked some potential options maybe? $250k could get me units, not houses, but if I go half way to about $350k then my options might open up a bit more.

Is there an option to use your FHOG and buy in Gladstone, live in it then turn it into an IP when you leave?

I do hate to see a FHOG go to waste. Unless yours is one of the states where you can get a FHOG after owning an IP. I know you can in some states - not mine of course.

Is there an option to use your FHOG and buy in Gladstone, live in it then turn it into an IP when you leave?

I do hate to see a FHOG go to waste. Unless yours is one of the states where you can get a FHOG after owning an IP. I know you can in some states - not mine of course.

As I understand it, the $7k grant in QLD was scrapped last year and replaced with a $15k construction grant on new houses. Not sure if it can be claimed if you've purchased in IP before a PPOR, it would be good if someone knew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4h8Qp29zys

This is a good information tool on Nundah and surrounding area.

I was going to buy in Nundah but decided on the Sunshine Coast.

Which part of the Sunshine Coast did you decide on? Was there anything in particular about Nundah you didn't think was preferable for an investment or that the Sunshine Coast would be more suitable for you?

You can in perth too, or at least you could when I did it.

You can in perth too, or at least you could when I did it.

You're right! of course :)
I keep on assuming because I can't no one can. I can't because I built in IP back in '98 before the FHOG was around so I fail the test. "Cannot have owned any residential property anywhere in Australia before 2000"

I guess the thing about the Gladstone market is that even though it's a major regional centre, the size of the property market is still a pip-squeak compared to the major metropolitan areas so choices are relatively limited. I can't identify any areas of Gladstone I would personally choose to buy as a PPOR in as I don't really like Gladstone in general - other people like it and I understand why, but it isn't for me.

If I can claim the grants at a later date on a later property in a different city I'm likely to move to, why would I restrict myself to one geographical market and waste the grants on a place I'm not likely to be in for long to save a few bucks in the short term (and throw away the income and tax deduction benefits while I live there for 6+ months)?

Back