Drafter

Hi All,

I have asked this question before but didn't receive any response last time.

I am looking to subdivide my block and have 2 homes built.

I am looking for a good drafter in South Australia to assist with the Planning and Building Development process.

Does anyone know of any good drafters, I am sure there are a lot of them around. Also I was wondering what is a reasonable fee for such works.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nquyen

im a draftsman and believe a reasonable price for something like this would be around 7 or 8 thousand dollars

sketch design, possible town planning required, and working drawings would be involved at this price

if both homes are identical, then the work would be less because in essence there is only 1 design, so you can copy it

Im in for this as well. Have been made PM on my parents PPOR subdiv project :cool: But seriously I need some help here. Im time poor at the moment as im working close to 12 hour days. PPOR is under Wyndham City Council.

Hi Nguyen,

I don't work in Adelaide, however, I thought I might offer some general advice that may be useful:

What you are proposing is fairly straightforward as far as property development projects go, but you still need to remember that you are the developer in this scenario and you have certain roles and responsibilities if you want your project to run smoothly and generate a profitable outcome.

In essence, your primary responsibility is to get the right people involved in the project in the right order. We have a fairly simple 7 Step methodology we apply and it may be helpful.
  1. Step 1. Assessment. Find out what the zoning and overlays are for the property and ascertain the best use.
  2. Step 2. Strategy. Determine if your idea will really work. Take your early concepts to the municipal planner and do the numbers.
  3. Step 3. Concepts. Use the land use plans devised in the 2nd step to develop more detailed concepts and use these to work out some of the details and to continue the dialogue with the municipal planners.
  4. Step 4. Application. Assuming all is still on track, use the concepts as a basis for the town planning (DA) application, and formally lodge. If you have maintained a (documented) dialogue with the town planners you will already have their support for your project when you lodge.
  5. Step 5. Detail. Once you have recieved the TPP/DA use this documentation as the basis for the working drawings, specifications and other documentation required for the BP.
  6. Step 6. Build. You can do this by engaging a builder who is recomended to you or by running a tender to find the best match for price and suitability.
  7. Step 7. Realisation. Sell or rent. It is important to note that you will have also carried out the formal subdivision works while the building work was being completed so you have titles to sell!
This list is not comprehensive in detail, nor does it allow for the individual circumstances of your project, but as an outline it works remarkably well.

Best wishes for your project.

Draft

Hi all,

Thanks for all your kind response. Much appreciated.

I have engaged a drafter to do the following works:
1/ Site measurement
2/ Measured drawings
3/ Alternative sketch design proposals
4/ Preliminary documents

He has provided us with 3 different options to choose from and so far he has charged us $6,000. Is that a reasonable fee.

The remaining works in order to get tendering from buiders are as follow:-
5/ Plaaning application including drawings and report
6/ Basisc construction approval application drawings
7/ Construction detail intent drawings
8/ Special plans i/ ie electrical demolition, siteworks.
9/ interior design
10/ Standard specification
11/ Construction quotation

What is a reasonable fee for the above remaining works?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice.

Cheers,

Nguyen.

Back