Drainage for houses on lower side of road

If a driveway slopes down from the road, and thus the front yard is below the road level, what sort of drainage suits?

I am told councils do not allow connecting flow to the roofing downpipes. And it would be impossible to connect to the road storm water drains. It is also not legal to let the water flow freely in case it goes into the neighbor's yard.

Has anyone come across such a situation?

I find it unethical to inspect houses (open homes) with similar issues to learn the solution, as it is unfair on the real estate agent.

You will need to talk with a civil engineer.

They run water flow calculations to determine if there is going to be an impact on the neighbours from your development being built.

The normal solution is to have water retention tanks that store water in a downpour and release it gradually over time. This ensures that there is no impact on the natural water flow to the neighbouring property.

Some councils will allow this as a solution, others will argue against it, even when the engineer can demonstrate no impact from the current water flow.

Another option that I am able to use on one of my sites, is where there is an existing stormwater pipe already at the site.

Or you can ask the neighbour for an easement to place a pipe right through their property, to discharge at a lower streetfront.

I also have another site, where we are building up the ground, to ensure that it does flow towards the road.

In general however, it is far less expensive and easier to just purchase a site which slopes gently towards the road.

Cheers,
Matt

Where did you read that?

Cant make water go uphill. Neighbours fault they live on the downside.

An age old neighbours argument.

Logan City Council rules. You cannot deliberately have drainage that lets water flow to others property. I am trying to get rid of water collecting on my front yard but cannot redirect it to the neighbors, nor to the stormwater drainage.

Just hope the sun comes up regularly!

Thanks. Makes sense. Will also retrieve the Approved As Constructed Drainage Plan form council to see what they had in mind back then!

If a driveway slopes down from the road, and thus the front yard is below the road level, what sort of drainage suits?

I am told councils do not allow connecting flow to the roofing downpipes. And it would be impossible to connect to the road storm water drains. It is also not legal to let the water flow freely in case it goes into the neighbor's yard.

Has anyone come across such a situation?

I find it unethical to inspect houses (open homes) with similar issues to learn the solution, as it is unfair on the real estate agent.
If you can post a picture and the angle of the driveway,i may be able give you a few ideas,several rain water tanks is one,or there is a place out at crestmead the sells drainage gravel,every 3 sqm's you buy they give you one sqm's free that set-up the right way will work also..imho..

cannot redirect it to the neighbors, nor to the stormwater drainage.

What about;

1) French drain (subsoil) at front of house
2) solid pipes down to back yard (and put a french drain with it)
3) Gravel pit in the back yard that your water is put into, then disperses...

Its not redirected to neighbours, it's redirected to your yard...

Back