Drainage

How hard is it to connect a new pipe to the downpipe?

We are putting in a drainage channel at the edge of our paving - ideally I would like to run a pvc pipe from the drainage channel to the drain attached to the downpipe on the house. Obviously I need to get the slope right as I dont want water from the downpipe running down the new pipe into my backyard.

Is this something I can do myself easily? I like DIY stuff, but Im really bad at it. I dont want to stuff it up. I'm also concerned that if I get a plumber in, they aren't going to care about re-laying hte pavers properly.

I need to lift about 1.5m of paving - probably could get away with 4 pavers.

Attachments

• Drainage.jpg
    Drainage.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 68
  • After 1.jpg
    After 1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 89
That downpipe probably just goes into a soakwell unless your in a really wet/clay area.

Looks like you got a dirt area beside the paving that your putting in the channel. Why not just get a new soak well?
Not that hard to install then beyond digging the hole.

Cutting into the existing pipework from the downpipe can be a bit of a pain. You have to get enough movement somewhere to put in the t-piece and you will probably need a lot more than 4 pavers raised to do it.

Thanks Doovalacky

We have very heavy clay soil, almost positive it drains into the stormwater.

I googled Soakwells and they are everywhere in WA! I imagine they work really well with a sandy soil.

Definitely an option. I might just have to dig deeper :)

Thanks

Its fairly flat. The pavers are slightly sloped towards the corner in that pic. The idea being that the water runs off onto the dirt/grass.

Problem is the dirt is slightly sloped towards the pavers. When it absolutely pours the water just pools up at the end of the pavers and eventually the puddle reaches the house.

Another option is to run an ag pipe from the channel drain to the back of the dirt/grass.

It only matters when it absolutely pours.

If its clay and not dirt unfortunately a soakwell won't drain any significant amount of water once its full. With heavy clay it might act just like a dam and take days to drain. So you might be good for a short shower but no sustained ones.

That takes you back to the original plan. How much you have to dig up depends on if its in the middle of a pipe run and bends were it makes it easy to cut to get the movement slide in t-piece. Its on a corner so you might get lucky.

As long as there is adequate fall from the downpipe in the existing pipework you should not have issues with backflow. But if its shallow you might as the channel looks like its going to sit slightly lower than the downpipe entry.

Back