Drainage issues in vendors backyard - How much to fix

I inspected a townhouse last weekend and one of the things that I noticed was the amount of water in the backyard. I suspected drainage issues as it was really muddy/swampy looking (see attached link). We've had lots of rain in recent weeks but it shouldn't leave this much water. The RE listing even shows the water in the backyard so I don't think this is an isolated incident.

I mentioned this to the agent who said it's because it's winter. I said this neighbourhood is a very flat area so drainage may not be up to scratch. The agent said that she knows the owner a few houses up from this one had work done to fix the drainage on their property and would find out how much it cost them to fix it.

I got an email today that it cost the other owner $1000. I'm no expert but would that be right as it would need plumber to fix it and I know they are expensive.

See here ... http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-narre+warren-114476335

Thanks
Sue

I inspected a townhouse last weekend and one of the things that I noticed was the amount of water in the backyard. I suspected drainage issues as it was really muddy/swampy looking (see attached link). We've had lots of rain in recent weeks but it shouldn't leave this much water. The RE listing even shows the water in the backyard so I don't think this is an isolated incident.

I mentioned this to the agent who said it's because it's winter. I said this neighbourhood is a very flat area so drainage may not be up to scratch. The agent said that she knows the owner a few houses up from this one had work done to fix the drainage on their property and would find out how much it cost them to fix it.

I got an email today that it cost the other owner $1000. I'm no expert but would that be right as it would need plumber to fix it and I know they are expensive.

See here ... http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-narre+warren-114476335

Thanks
Sue
If it is the area out the back near the garage with all the dead grass then you have a problem,and it's not storm water that is waste and it looks like the line from next door is also the same the smell is a dead giveaway,and looking at the acess it may be hard to get a machine into the work area
be carefull because sometimes this can blow out into the 1000's,from experience..imho..

Thanks willair for your opinion. I didn't smell anything when I was there but if it is waste then I'm going to pass on this one.

Thanks

It looks like it could be run off that is settling in the yard as it is so flat. the nighbouring property (not townhouse side) may be obstructing the natural flow or there is a stormwater issue. The place you are looking at appears to be on the low side from the small reatining wall to the townhouse side.

Also, by the looks of all the downpipes at the rear and being a new development chances are there is a stormwater pipe running down the rear of the blocks. A bial before you dig search may have it on some plans (stormwater isnt accurately documented). If so a collection pit near the corner of the concrete would be needed with some agg pipe run in a few directions possibly to get the water away. It would be possible to get a small excavator through the garage to get the work done. few days work for a plumber. $5k??

Back