Driveway Demolition

Hi folks,

I'm about to demolish a driveway and brick shed at the rear of our subdividable block and was wondering how do I tell if there is reinforcing within the concrete? Is there any tools that I can hire that will tell me? Or do I have to just break into it to see what's there?

It's been down about 10 years if that makes any difference.

And any suggestions on how to remove the concrete? If it's got reinforcing I was thinking of using a concrete demo saw ($500 for the weekend with 2 blades), if no reinforcing a jack hammer about $260 for the weekend.

thanks
Dave

Good bobcat operator will do the trick. Reo or not.

Done plenty of this, reo and all. Just have a pair of bolt cutters handy. Will be much quicker and no heavy lifting for U.;)

Bobby will also get rid of it all in his truck.

I would expect there to be reinforcing mesh in almost any concrete driveway, especially one constructed only 10 years ago. While non destructive testing measures exist, I'm not sure how you can check it yourself though, my suggestion would be to give a couple of local concreters a call and see what equipment they have available (although they might charge on par or more than hiring the demo saw would).

Good bobcat operator will do the trick. Reo or not.

Done plenty of this, reo and all. Just have a pair of bolt cutters handy. Will be much quicker and no heavy lifting for U.;)

Bobby will also get rid of it all in his truck.

Looked at this and the cost is $8K, I can do it for about $2500 plus a sore back. A massive cost saving until the physio bills come in :)

Our bobcat driver we are getting this week charges $100/hr. I reckon it's cheaper to get someone to do it.

Does his charge include disposal costs? Plus we're in Perth if that makes a difference.

We've had 3 quotes, two were about $8K another was wait for it.....$16K, ha ha $16K I said....

Dave

Does his charge include disposal costs? Plus we're in Perth if that makes a difference.

We've had 3 quotes, two were about $8K another was wait for it.....$16K, ha ha $16K I said....

Dave

Oh I see, you are in Perth indeedy !!

That's a rippoff Im sorry to say.

How long is the driveway for goodness sakes?

My Bobcat man will have your standard suburban driveway (reo and all) out in an hour and gone off site.
All up a couple hrs plus cartage tip fees.

he'd be happy to move to Perth Im sure.

Dave

WTF?!?!?!?

Hmm I'm not sure. We are getting 300sqm of aggregate concrete driveway next week and the supplier said he had a bobcat that you demo the old driveway for $100/hr but we had an excavator and DH did it (with help from his trustie tradie asst - me)

Have you looked in Gumtree for someone?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/banjup/other-building-trades/bobcat-and-tip-truck-service/1018826732

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/guil...rades/bobcat-and-tip-truck-service/1022162514

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/quinns-rocks/other-building-trades/vincent-demolition/1002483334

Oh I see, you are in Perth indeedy !!

That's a rippoff Im sorry to say.

How long is the driveway for goodness sakes?

My Bobcat man will have your standard suburban driveway (reo and all) out in an hour and gone off site.
All up a couple hrs plus cartage tip fees.

he'd be happy to move to Perth Im sure.

Remember it's not just a driveway, it includes a brick car port too. All up it's around 150sqm of concrete and about 11 x 11m brick car port with metal sheet roofing. I recon $8k is alright however I can do it cheaper!

Remember it's not just a driveway, it includes a brick car port too. All up it's around 150sqm of concrete and about 11 x 11m brick car port with metal sheet roofing. I recon $8k is alright however I can do it cheaper!

I agree mate, I could too, with the help of my Bobcat mate. For easilly half the $8k.

You will have course already dismantled the roof and stacked up for disposal or for resale.
Then the bobcat comes in and whammo, you (and or a decent trade assistant) with bolt cutters and some nouce and a half day later it's all gone.

I agree mate, I could too, with the help of my Bobcat mate. For easilly half the $8k.

You will have course already dismantled the roof and stacked up for disposal or for resale.
Then the bobcat comes in and whammo, you (and or a decent trade assistant) with bolt cutters and some nouce and a half day later it's all gone.

Wow that's sounds great, would you mind sending his details to me?

Point is, there should be plenty of operators there to do this but at what price?

I dunno, but those quotes seem pretty steep to me.

They are expensive I agree but I think that's just Perth.

Looks like I'll go with a jack hammer and bolt cutters. Thanks everyone for your help.

Dave

Engage a contractor with a 'walk behind' concrete cutter. Far easier than a demo saw, and will probably cut up a driveway (rio and all) in a couple hours probably costing the same as your hire saw and jackhammer. $500?

Get a skip or 2 delivered to your front yard. $500?

Hire a Dingo or Kanga (not sure what you call them in WA), using the wide bucket to lift the manageable pieces into the skips. $300?

Dumping fees. $500

$6000+ saved, back saved - cost you 3 phone calls and a day yourself labour.

Too easy!

pinkboy

Not sure which planet you're living on Pinkboy, but the last skip I hired cost a helluva lot more than $500 incl tipping.

The driveway has at least 15 m3 of concrete or 18t to tip, you might find someone like concrete recyclers who will dig it up & tip it/crush & recycle the concrete for around $30-$50/tonne. Definitely not 5 minutes work with a concrete saw and jackhammer. I wouldn't waste my time DIY.

Yeah, I wouldn't know. I get my 2x 1.5m3 bins lifted for $15/lift each at work general waste each week. Was just going off that.

Agree, hell of a lot of concrete to get rid of! I wouldn't DIY either, and would just pay the $8k if that's what it cost. But the OP was looking for options!

pinkboy

Pinky, we're paying $150/t or thereabouts at the transfer station to tip general waste iin Sydney :eek: I would have expected similar in BCC area and GC.

Back