Driveway suspiciously narrow - How to check?

Hi All,

Have just purchased a property (755sq/m in Glandore, SA)!

From what I've been told by the REA and neighbours; the vendor is the next door neighbour (currently tennanted but the same bloke owned the 2).

On the street every house has a double if not single driveway, yet the property I've just purchased is about a foot too narrow for my car (standard sedan)...

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the fence line on the side which borders the ex-owners other property is slightly off, and would like to get this checked by a professional/the council to see if I'm getting short changed on land.

Has anyone been through this or know the process to get this checked?

What does the title state? It may have been legally changed prior to sale since the guy owned both blocks.

If there are any discrepencies, you can always get a surveyor to check your boundries?

We have a bit of animosity going on between 2 neighbours atm, over this same issue.

Infact, older son was next door this last Friday, as the 'middle man' who pulled down the old brick 'unsafe' fence, to make way for a new fence on a new fence line :cool:.

Half expected the police to turn up, but all went well in the end.

Just out of curiosity, have you just realised you have bought a place with a driveway a foot too narrow for a car, or were you aware this was the case?

Hi Weg - To answer your question, the driveway can fit a couple of cars in there but then it gets to a point where it is blocked off by the chimney/fence (about 10m in) - otherwise you could take it all the way to the back of the block (50m deep)

I think you've answered my question with the word surveyor. Is this a service the council would offer? Or should I use a private trader.

Good to hear the cops never had to show..

Hi Weg - To answer your question, the driveway can fit a couple of cars in there but then it gets to a point where it is blocked off by the chimney/fence (about 10m in) - otherwise you could take it all the way to the back of the block (50m deep)

I think you've answered my question with the word surveyor. Is this a service the council would offer? Or should I use a private trader.

Good to hear the cops never had to show..

You would have to pay.

Get what information you can from the Lands Titles office - go online or phone. Not expensive and they should have what info you're after.

The Council may have some info in regards to any thing built on or near the boundry.

Surveyors will go into the $100's for a boundry check so leave that as a last resort.

have you already purchased it, or are you in the process of purchasing?

It should be something your solicitor should have confirmed/ organised to be checked during the purchasing procress. If there is a problem, it is going to be much easier to deal with during the purchasing process rather than when its all finalised.

Have just purchased a property (755sq/m in Glandore, SA)!

Pretty clear here...

But this is something that you don't pick up on until you actually use the property. You need a licensed surveyor to do a proper check, otherwise it's a bit wishy-washy.

Update for this -

I've done some measurements today (with a concreter - not a surveyor ;)) and found the width to be 15.04m (14.99m if including fence). [the surveyor quoted $1200]

This compares to the title which states width of 15.24m

20cm seems like a lot of space to be giving up, especially multiplied by 50m (depth), = 10m2

What is my next course of action, considering settlement is the 15th of Jan?

Thanks in advance

Update for this -

I've done some measurements today (with a concreter - not a surveyor ;)) and found the width to be 15.04m (14.99m if including fence). [the surveyor quoted $1200]

This compares to the title which states width of 15.24m20cm seems like a lot of space to be giving up, especially multiplied by 50m (depth), = 10m2

What is my next course of action, considering settlement is the 15th of Jan?

Thanks in advance

Is your conveyancor a solicitor? If not, perhaps you should pass this settlement onto one that is, who can then advise you on how to procede.

It will be well worth your while to have the land surveyed to locate the correct boundaries. Over time slight errors can be compounded. You may well find both fences are incorrect.

Your solicitor will advise the best course of action regarding settlement. Any delay will depend on the wording of the contract. Unless you made a survey a condition of the contract you may have little option but to settle as agreed, depending on the laws of the state involved.
Marg

Seems like you might need a surveyor, get a few quotes for a boundary check if you are concerned about the price but it's a potentially serious issue so best to think of the larger picture.

Coming from a surveyors point of view just thought I'd try to answer your query.

Just about all fences are wrong, so the assumption that it's in the right spot is unwise. Having a surveyor mark your boundaries will determine them within a couple of mm. In addition the survey would be lodged (along with all supporting forms) and would save you having that part done again say if you decided to subdivide or develop in the near future.

Someone pointed out that the fences could all be wrong in one direction. Couldn't say it better myself! For example I did a survey about a year back where every fence was shifted 0.3m in the one direction! Errors are common in old survey works so this does happen which leaves the modern surveyor to fix it up.

For that type of survey around the $1000 mark would be about right. Consider that office and drafting time is a good 60-70% of the work compared to field work. You're getting a 2-man crew and the equipment is extremely expensive (as is servicing). In the end it's cheaper than many trades.

Hope this can help with your questions :) (sorry about the huge comment!)

Ashley Stacey

20cm seems like a lot of space to be giving up, especially multiplied by 50m (depth), = 10m2

Just another perspective. :)

200mm is quite a lot but is it worth paying for a new fence? And your fence on the other side may be wrong as well?? Sometimes these discrepancies are not worth the worry. Besides, as long as you feel you have enough space around you it doesn't really matter that much.

Just another perspective. :)

200mm is quite a lot but is it worth paying for a new fence? And your fence on the other side may be wrong as well?? Sometimes these discrepancies are not worth the worry. Besides, as long as you feel you have enough space around you it doesn't really matter that much.

That's the problem Rockstar, the OP said that there is not enough room to get past the house (driveway) to get to the garaging - driveway narrows

That's the problem Rockstar, the OP said that there is not enough room to get past the house (driveway) to get to the garaging - driveway narrows

A foot is 300mm but he thinks he can only grab 200mm. Just being pedantic.:D Let's see what he said.

On the street every house has a double if not single driveway, yet the property I've just purchased is about a foot too narrow for my car (standard sedan)...

If the 200mm enables the car to get through to a presumed garage at the back then, yes I agree, get a new fence. What is the width of the driveway? Normal parking bays in my shire need to be 2.5 wide and new driveways need to be 2.7min. It sounds like your driveway is around 1.5 if you can't get the sedan through? Maybe your driving skills require sharpening or you need to buy one of these. :D

Back