Neighbour issue , what do you think of this ?

OP - please explain to me- the land that farmer palmer is giving you grief on- is it yours, his or local governments?

If yours- put up a fence. If the other 2- tough titties.

I reckon it's tough titties.

Nature strip? What is that? Is that the bit in the city between your block of dirt and the curb and gutter of the road? That you keep tidy? Put wheely bins on to be picked up?

Look, out in the bush/country/rural area it's not a nature strip, it's the crown land beside the road and the private land owned by whoever. It may even be a stock route where farmers can move livestock from farm to farm and in drought times you can get a permit to feed livestock for a cost. It's certainly there for trucks and machinery to turn into the farms. If the fence was 1 metre from the road, it would be impossible to get a big truck or big machinery onto the road or off it. So the fence is 10 metres or even more from the road, enough for a truck to turn.

I'm guessing that randoms so called nature strip is simply the stock route that is alongside all rural roads. He doesn't own it, has no control over it.

The big problem here is that random only owns an acre, or, what's that? 50 metres or so of frontage? So when the farmers trucks turn onto the road, it's only natural that they will have to turn onto randoms part of the stock route that he doesn't even own. Random is probably even breaking the law by placing all those rocks where he has. It is impeding the farmers truck from getting onto and off the road safely. If there is a crash caused by this, random might lose everything in compensation when he is sued.

The Original Poster is creating an issue here that is a joke. The farmer and all his mates would be laughing their heads off at the pub over this.

This is not a good way to start life on a lifestyle block over such a trivial unimportant issue. I'm thinking random is not cut out to live on an acre next to a commercial run farm. It will get a lot worse than this I can tell you if this is an issue.

This whole thread is a joke.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Or, you could take a few brews over & apologise for getting off on the wrong foot? He may be a great bloke & afterall, it's only trucks running over grass, it aint like you've got a Banditos clubhouse operating from there. Is it really worth making an enemy of this person if you've just moved in to your ideal property? Don't let this ruin it for you :)

Spot on. A bit funny too, like one of Dazz's posts, or funny like this thread

See ya's.

Last edited:
OK, clicked on that???

Sorry 'bout that - I was in a rush to leave for work when I put that link on and should have checked if it worked or not. I was always under the impression (but perhaps I'm wrong?) that 'selections' of land were given by the govt back in the 1800's. Although I read in the link that in Vic it cost 1 pound or whatever - I'm guessing that was a fair bit of money back then.

I'm from the Kulnura area of the Central Coast NSW and afaik the land out there was granted either free or very cheap to people during the Great Depression (err, the first one in 1930s) to get them out of Sydney onto their own land where they could at least grow their own food to survive. My father used to talk about being a kid and having a dirt floor in their house.

But whether the land was originally bought at market value or not distracts from the original issue that the land the OP-er put the garden on land that WAS NOT HIS.

(PS What value was land at Kulnura worth in the 1930s anyway? It was all virgin bush in the middle of nowhere with no roads. Free was probably over-priced... more like needing to *pay* people to go live there.)

But whether the land was originally bought at market value or not distracts from the original issue that the land the OP-er put the garden on land that WAS NOT HIS.

:rolleyes: Sure, it distracts from it, but this thread is now 4 pages long and, as always seems to happen with such posts, the topic has also spawned other little side-topics.

I'm from the Kulnura area of the Central Coast NSW and afaik the land out there was granted either free or very cheap to people during the Great Depression (err, the first one in 1930s) to get them out of Sydney onto their own land where they could at least grow their own food to survive.

Yeah, no worries. Seems like everyone knows a friend of a friend, who's great great uncle who had a half brother who's mate's grandfather in wheelabarrowback got granted 2 acres of free land in 1830 that's now worth 10 million dollars. But no one seems to be able to prove it, and maybe it wasn't really free, just a 'token sum'. So obviously two thirds of wealthy farmers got their land for free too.

Just one of those urban myths that grows and grows.

See ya's.

Last edited:
I'm actually reading a novel called THE SETTLERS by Vivian Stuart.

It is based in fact with stories to hold it together.

Seems some land was given, but it had conditions. An allowance was provided for the first year in some instances.This included seed rations,farm implements etc.
I'm terrible at remembering facts...but you needed to sell back some of the crop (I think) or you may lose the land.

They did entice people, but I don't think anyone had an easy time of it.

With some settlement schemes after the 1900 s in vic . The condition was you had to build you own house and clear so many acres with in a certain few years. The land was worthless liability until it was cleared. The labour spent clearing the land was worth more than the land and afer clearing it was unviable and many walked off. Those with money and a strong back and work ethic bought enough land to be viable by taking out mortagues. It is the same to-day the only why a farmer can have a strong viable buisiness is to grow by taking out mortagues for more land and the latest equipment.

Random why has the coucil got a nature strip along a 500 acre property. it would have a 1.5 kilometre frontage, must have more money than they know what to do with. I think you are putting rocks without permission on a public thorough fare. and the farmer must be a good guy or your teeth would be re-arranged.

I think you are putting rocks without permission on a public thorough fare. and the farmer must be a good guy or your teeth would be re-arranged.

I hope random decides to get along with his farmer neighbour. Otherwise he will be on a hiding to nothing. There are 'right to farm laws' in agricultural areas to protect farmers from pathetic and petty city complainers.

http://www.ruralplanning.com.au/ruralplanning/preserveagland.shtml

Right to farm legislation basically allows farmers to have a right to continue farming as long as they are carrying out "good management practices" even if there is a loss of amenity for surrounding rural residential uses. It precludes surrounding rural residential dwellers from suing in the courts for nuisance caused to them by the farm noises, odours or dust.

So the new city resident who wants to stop a dairy farmer who's been there for 100 years from walking his cattle across the road because the city dude gets cow $hit on his BMW gets rightly laughed at.

Randoms farmer neighbour could easily make things a nightmare for him and totally legally. The farmer could put his weaner calves right next door. Random would have to put up with that for a week. Or the farmer could plough up his paddock only when the wind is blowing onto randoms house. Or any number of other legal things that the farmer could do to make things tough. That's the risk of moving to a farming area and buying next door to a farm.

It would be far easier if everyone got along, because random won't win this one.

See ya's.

Dazz' responses don't suprise me. And as usual, I strongly disagree. But thats a big part of why I'm a likeable person, too :)

I don't have respect for many people at all, but I pretend to, and people respond very willingly to that, which is part of the reason I'm like that. And I treat others I do not know (not unlike the OP's situation) like I wish to be treated.

Having recently moved to acerage, I found that all our neighbours 'played up' and I thought that was them being 'normal'. Turns out it was just that. Them pretending to be tough so we don't 'mess' with them I guess..

I naturally retaliated and cranked my 50w Plexi with the window open, pointed right at their house when they did this though and after a few weeks it all stopped and now we rarely hear peep out of them. I've stopped waving to any of them also so they know how I feel. I thought you were supposed to welcome your new neighbours (especially in remote community's) but they chose not to do this. I also liked to crank metal tunes I knew they'd strongly dislike.

My advice is to do what you've been doing. Do not show any sign of weakness to this *******. Although I'ts out of hand if you ever find yourselves coming to blows. And at the same time, you don't want him walking all over you either. In the end, I'd rather move house than hate my neighbours with a passion. Thats why we moved in the first place.

See if it all dies down in the short term :)

Dazz' responses don't suprise me. And as usual, I strongly disagree. But thats a big part of why I'm a likeable person, too :)

I don't have respect for many people at all, but I pretend to, and people respond very willingly to that, which is part of the reason I'm like that. And I treat others I do not know (not unlike the OP's situation) like I wish to be treated.

Having recently moved to acerage, I found that all our neighbours 'played up' and I thought that was them being 'normal'. Turns out it was just that. Them pretending to be tough so we don't 'mess' with them I guess..

I naturally retaliated and cranked my 50w Plexi with the window open, pointed right at their house when they did this though and after a few weeks it all stopped and now we rarely hear peep out of them. I've stopped waving to any of them also so they know how I feel. I thought you were supposed to welcome your new neighbours (especially in remote community's) but they chose not to do this. I also liked to crank metal tunes I knew they'd strongly dislike.

My advice is to do what you've been doing. Do not show any sign of weakness to this *******. Although I'ts out of hand if you ever find yourselves coming to blows. And at the same time, you don't want him walking all over you either. In the end, I'd rather move house than hate my neighbours with a passion. Thats why we moved in the first place.

See if it all dies down in the short term :)

No wonder you disagree with Dazz's post

Back