Dry July

It's been three days for me.

My favourite way to drink has always been when hitting the showers after a cold and rainy rugby training session. Really hot shower and cold beer at the same time. Awesome!

I was talking to a mate a little while ago and he made mention of his 'shower scotch'. I thought it was a euphemism for something else until he clarified that it was literally a glass of scotch while having a shower. I thought it odd but maybe you both are on to something.

I was talking to a mate a little while ago and he made mention of his 'shower scotch'. I thought it was a euphemism for something else until he clarified that it was literally a glass of scotch while having a shower. I thought it odd but maybe you both are on to something.

I recently heard the expression "Scottish Shower" in reference to soaping up as usual, then turning off the hot water and rinsing off in the cold before hopping out. Apparently it's meant to be refreshing or something. I like your mate's better.

Well done Geoff kudos.

I'm a big drinker. A quiet niht is 4 beers (.5l) so about 6 Australian beers.
I don't get hangovers unless I have a big night, but then can usually function the next day albeit somewhat sluggishly.

I quit drinking spirits a couple of years ago. So it is just beer nowadays.

It costs me about $50/week. I spend more on coffee than beer.
If I don't drink I don't miss it, but I do enjoy a cold beer on a hot day.
Or a cold beer in a hot shower.

Blacky.

I usually don't drink unless out, have visitors or visiting family/friends.

It's enjoyable but I can live without it quite easily.

Saturated fats on the other hand... :D

I usually don't drink unless out, have visitors or visiting family/friends.

It's enjoyable but I can live without it quite easily.

Saturated fats on the other hand... :D

I drink to break down the saturated fats- or at least that's what I tell myself.

I wouldn't have achieved anything in life if I did'nt drink beer !:D

I LOVE to sit back at the end of a hard days work either in the garden at home or on our current renovation and just look at all the work we have done that day and give ourselves a small pat on the back.

It makes all the hard work worthwhile and more often than not is what keeps me and hubby going through the day.

Knowing that there is a cold beer in the fridge when we're done makes it a bit easier to get through all the jobs that no person in their right mind would attempt!

Wettest July here in 20 years. Oops, we're not talking weather.... :p

The last time i drank spirits was around 30 years ago. Smelled and tasted disgusting and made me feel ill.

Beer and wine... love love love both.

I tolerate both well but not because i drink most days. Drink 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes less.

I have to be drinking all day and night to suffer a bit of a hangover - usually only do this when we go away with friends a couple of times a year.

Last drink was 2 nights ago where I had 1 glass of wine - unusual as I would normally have 2, occasionally 3 if I drink on my own on an evening.

I've never had a hangover - though not for want of trying when I was younger.

Officially jealous. I have a friend like you, while I'm feeling crap for about half a day after a night out they're galloping around being annoying!

These days I only drink when I'm not in my home town (unfortunately no there isn't an awesome story to go with it). I do tend to go abit overboard when I visit Adelaide though!

Officially jealous. I have a friend like you, while I'm feeling crap for about half a day after a night out they're galloping around being annoying!

These days I only drink when I'm not in my home town (unfortunately no there isn't an awesome story to go with it). I do tend to go abit overboard when I visit Adelaide though!

Well, what else is there to do there?

Also: Coopers! and Brian Barry Wines!!

I think I might take drinking back up if I am ever in Adelaide again.

Congratulation Geoff. I had a very dry July, never heard of it much before, interesting concept. My hubby's friend and neighbours do Dry July every year and take up jogging in July also. Funny buggers! :D
Good excuse cu@thetop! :p My cholesterol is already crap thanks to genetics. I wonder if it would be worse not drinking. My aunty who is 13 years older than me suffered from high cholesterol from young age too, she very barely drinks so probably makes very little difference.

Last edited:
I had a problem. I couldn't stop once I started. So I stopped starting.

I have no problems with anybody else drinking, I'm not one of those reformed wowsers. It was just something I had to do.

I'm hearing you. One's too many and two's not enough...

Back