Dubbo, NSW

Should be good for the town, all up i think there will be about 800 people directly employed between the two mines. So not to the extent of orange, but with an already tight rental market, i'm guessing rents will rise a fair bit over the next few years.

I looked at purchasing in North Dubbo in 2005 but chose to buy in Sydney instead.
Looking back I don't regret my choice but the growth in that nothern side has been excellent.

I know Dubbo well and there are parts to keep well clear of. Be aware that there are areas that are predominantly council housing and/or native Australian areas which have some social and crime rate problems. Talk to agents about the better streets to buy in.

Some parts of North Dubbo are fantastic buying still and will only continue to perform. The town (inland city) is such an industry hub for the area, with that said though Dubbo as a whole has performed ordinarily so be very careful to make sure you pick the best streets and a good property.

Just to let you know I was born and grew up in Dubbo, left for about 15 years and am now back living here while hubby works in the hunter..
I have been keeping an eye on the market since being back for about 18 months and wish I had bought 6 months ago as the lower price range have increased in value and are selling quick...
BTW Myall street is not in south dubbo it goes from east dubbo down toward the north and close to central..

There are good areas in all parts of Dubbo and some small areas to avoid depending on your target market..

Just to let you know I was born and grew up in Dubbo, left for about 15 years and am now back living here while hubby works in the hunter..
I have been keeping an eye on the market since being back for about 18 months and wish I had bought 6 months ago as the lower price range have increased in value and are selling quick...
BTW Myall street is not in south dubbo it goes from east dubbo down toward the north and close to central..

There are good areas in all parts of Dubbo and some small areas to avoid depending on your target market..

I've noticed that too, places that need a bit of cosmetic reno seem to go quickly for good prices.

Anyone looking at Dubbo, with the plans for 2 mines?
Methinks it's the next Orange.

What is your strategy? CG or Cashflow or Both

On the basis of CG and that Orange has become trendy and hence prices risen then are you looking the same for Dubbo. Me thinks it is not Orange cafe BNB culture. Why not Lithgow or Bathurst much closer to Sydney.

I don't see Sydney siders coming for weekend away at Dubbo being 5.5hr away as opposed to 3.5hr for the Hunter and Orange and South Coast.

Regards, Peter

I don't see Sydney siders coming for weekend away at Dubbo being 5.5hr away as opposed to 3.5hr for the Hunter and Orange and South Coast.

Yeah we generally get the young families out to visit the zoo.

Another plus is the proposal of a new shopping centre on Macquarie Street, although speaking to a few people they are doubtfull that funding will be obtained for the project. But then again what would they know.

Hey, I don't mind Dubbo.

I lived in Bouke two years.

PROS
It has huge potential as really the only city between it and SA border.
Links to Cobar mines and Bourke and Walgett and Parkes all add up.
Main North South road link VIC to QLD.
May get the long promise finland rail link for VIC and QLD.

CONS
Low income limits CG
Crime and social issues.
Lots of flat land ready for housing.
Unlimited supply of land.

regards Peter 14.7

I think that overall, 500k invested in inner sydney will get better rental return and cg in both short and medium terms than invested in dubbo.

What is your strategy? CG or Cashflow or Both

On the basis of CG and that Orange has become trendy and hence prices risen then are you looking the same for Dubbo. Me thinks it is not Orange cafe BNB culture. Why not Lithgow or Bathurst much closer to Sydney.

Regards, Peter

If i was to buy in Dubbo (i'm looking for another in Orange btw), it would be similar to what i have in Orange. 3x1x1 or there-abouts, spend a few k on furniture, and bump up yield to 20%, and wait for CG.

Bathurst is close to Orange price-wise, as many from the mine commute from there, and Lithgow is well...Lithgow. Can't see much happening there for a long time.
What makes you think being close to Sydney is a good thing?

hi everyone,

still in the early stages of investigating dubbo,

ive been looking at a few really run down places that need a pretty decent renovation, eg kitchen, bathroom, paint, fix holes and the other itty bits

was wondering, how much movement on price has dubbo done in the previous 6 , 12 , 24, 36 months

seems like there are a few shoddy places at about the $130k mark, agent believes its worth up to $300k after its done up, which I told him I thought he must be smoking something

Rental market is tight, with the annoucnemnet of the big mine last year,

I obviously dont want to buy in an area that has already boomed or already moved significantly,
and more importantly, good to see the area not solely dependant on mining, which has made the news lately about being the end of the mining boom

seems like the median house price is about $250k, $225k in 2008, so a jump of say 10% in 3-4 years so below average growth

seems like there are a few shoddy places at about the $130k mark, agent believes its worth up to $300k after its done up, which I told him I thought he must be smoking something

All agents are smoking something.

Rental market is tight.

Tight?86 rentals for Dubbo alone.
Cheers Spades.

hi everyone,

still in the early stages of investigating dubbo,

ive been looking at a few really run down places that need a pretty decent renovation, eg kitchen, bathroom, paint, fix holes and the other itty bits

was wondering, how much movement on price has dubbo done in the previous 6 , 12 , 24, 36 months

That’s seriously laughable. I assume the places are old housing commission houses in rosewood grove (former Gordon estate).
Renovated houses are selling for around the 180k mark new builds are around 300k.

Rentals are tight for your lower to middle properties, higher end rentals stay on the market a little longer.

Rental market is tight, with the annoucnemnet of the big mine last year,
What announcement was this? The Coboora mine has been put on the back burner and is unlikely to go ahead. The Alkane Zirconia mine has yet to receive approval (seems likely) but will only employ around 80 people.

But in saying that Dubbo is a service town, so any major projects from Mudgee to Burke and Cobar will benefit Dubbo

Back