Ducted Vs Reverse Split Air Con

Definately get more quotes. 9kW is too small to do your floor space. even zoned its on the light side. look for a local supplier of actron air systems. hitachi systems are more complicated electronically than necessary. ie more links in the chain more possible weak ones. ive installed, serviced and repaired hitachi, daiken, actrons,mitzubishi elc,mhi, infact pretty much all of them. if i was to choose a ducted system for my house or anyones i would go with ACTRON AIR.

Definately get more quotes. 9kW is too small to do your floor space. even zoned its on the light side.

The ceiling height and wall + roof insulation play a large part in any system's calculations.

With this in mind, we generally need less KW than recommended.

Ok

We have decided to go ahead with zoned ducted over split.

In saying this for a property in Adelaide would you put in ceiling fans to help save wear and tear on the air con unit when air con is not required? Or is this just a waste of money?

Thanks again
Andrew

I've got an old upcountry rental with box type reverse cycle a/c's, tenants are on welfare and even with subsidised power say cooling is expensive to run. So I'd be going with whatever is the most efficient.

Makes you wonder if the coming trend will be to put in solar panels & a/c and negotiating a better rent if the solar panels can offset some of the a/c running costs.

When I put the 2 r/c a/c's in my upcountry rental (1 new for about $700, 1 second hand for about $200) I negotiated the rent up $10 week to help warrant the cost.

For a PPOR I'd prefer a ducted r/c unit (we had a quote for about $11k). But as some point out if you have a lot of single units and one does break down at least some of the house is cool... or warm in winter.

Alright.

House is 172 sqm 4 bed.

I have been quoted the following for a Hitachi unit fully installed as follow:

1 x Temperzone 9.0 Kw (3 H/P) – single phase –

Ducted Reverse Cycle Air conditioner with 7 outlets & 4 zones.

$9,058.82 Inc GST.

I will no doubt look at getting a couple more quotes however is this a reasonable price for South Australia?

Thank you

Ive just been quoted for a Temperzone 10kw system with 6 outlets and 3 zones- $7500 installed from Climat in Adelaide.

I personally like Splits over Ducted, but at some point I would guess ducted would be better value. Questions where is that point?

A friend of mine has just finished renovating his house (spent around 90k!) and now wants to put in some Air conditioning units.

He has a older Californian bungalow type of house with 3 bedrooms. At the back he has an extension and the roof is a colourbond skillion type of roof. He's also knocked out the original back wall to open the house up to where the extension is.

Initially he was thinking of putting in a ducted system, but at the same time wants greater control of the temps (ie he would prefer to be able to control each room individually as opposed turning on one zone for all the bedrooms).

The issue i think he will face here is trying to get the ducted system into the extension where there is a skillion roof. So he's looking at getting one split for each of the rooms and two in the rear living areas.

He could possibly get one to cover the entire rear living areas, however he's also concerned about the indoor noise levels of the bigger units. Are there any bigger units that run as quiet as the smaller 1.5kw ~ 3kw units on the lowest fan setting?

Attachments

• AC Layout.jpg
    AC Layout.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 70
Hi DreamBig

Since the original post I have received plenty of other quotes for various systems and some alarming price differences. Pays to shop around.

Climat too have come back with the bestquote for a Daiken and the Temperzone you mentioned.

The big question. Do we go the Daiken for an extra $1000 or the Temperzone?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

i'm not picking on you in particular. posters here generally have very good written English skills. why is it they can't tell the difference between a noun and a verb?

you are looking for advice, not advise. you might want someone to advise you, but in this case you are looking for advice.

advice is something lots of posters seek. but please get it write.

"please advise me on my project" "I'm looking for some advice on my latest project"

*ends anal rant*

Who gives a flying f### if he/she spells correctly! This damn iPad auto corrects me all the time and sometimes puts the wrong words in place..people here are smart enough to know what's actually being said. If not they ask.. F### me talk about anal

Hi DreamBig

Since the original post I have received plenty of other quotes for various systems and some alarming price differences. Pays to shop around.

Climat too have come back with the bestquote for a Daiken and the Temperzone you mentioned.

The big question. Do we go the Daiken for an extra $1000 or the Temperzone?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I just got my temperzone installed last week, works like a treat and is very quiet. 5 yr warranty. I'd say go temperzone, save yourself the dough. But it's your call, maybe someone with a temperzone or daikin can comment...

Interesting. I would have thought ducted was the way to go once you start installing upwards of three or so split systems. The box AC in my IP crapped itself out and now Im deciding whether to replace it with a cheap split system, or do the whole house ducted.

Big price difference.

Back