Dulwich Hill / Summer Hill / Ashfield

thanks Taylor!

I live on the border of Asfield and Summer Hill.

I pass the proposed light rail everyday.

I can see there are a lot of construction workers on the rail line. assuming they are surveying, measuring....

Ashfield and Summer Hill have very good existing train system already.
Ashfield has more frequent train than Summer Hill.

The 2 bedroom unit in Ashfield would be slightly cheaper than Summer Hill in general.

In Ashfield, units around Ashfield park are better which also reflected on price.

There is a new MacDonald opened opposite to Ashfield park. ( it was only open late last year. ) which is a good sigh of the area capital growth.

Oprington, Cecile, Ormond are good street in Ashfield ( more expensive slightly about 450,000 for 2 bedroom), Alt st, Bland st slight cheaper 400,000-450,000.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-nsw-ashfield-200521695

oh forgot to mention. there is an apartment block under construction on the intersection of Liverpool st and Gower st. ( border of Ashfield and Summer Hill)

I hope this info help.

Taylor

I didn't even know that Summer Hill went north of the train line? Can't be much of it if it does. South of the train line is exactly where you would look in Summer Hill. That's where the village is - primary school, supermarket and great small shops and cafes. It's a small suburb.
Scott

If you are not familiar with the suburb you are focusing, I would normally contact a few real estate agents and asking if there is any local spots (or streets) 'less desireble' to live. They normally provide some clues.

I used to get this information from local police stations or local council town planners by just calling (and saying you are looking to buy a property in the area), but these days, I found most of them refuse to comments due to privacy issues (so they said to me).

No doubt that Marrickville is a great Inner-west suburb which offers lots of transports options and eateries. However, I would be a bit concerned about the security there. I heard that the crime rate there is a bit higher than other inner city suburbs. For those who know the area well, do you have any insight info about its safety? are there many thugs or people selling drugs?

I'm in Marrickville. Based on close to a decade of residence, I'd challenge any suggestion of a higher crime rate than any surrounding areas. 5+ years ago, perhaps so (a murder and bashing occurred in quick succession around that time), but there is an absence of thugs etc now.

I know quite a while ago there were some crime issues, but I've not bore witness to any.

Perhaps this remaining reputation is a combination of the past, and selection bias (Marrickville is a HUGE suburb, so naturally a higher number of crimes would happen there than a smaller, nearby suburb but of course, the only way to know is to look up some data - per capita crime rates and see the facts.)

It "feels" safe, any time of day or night.

It's a bit disappointing, really. Marrickville has lost its edginess. Like Richard, I have lived in Marrickville for 10 years - we've probably passed eachother on the street (I'm the one usually dressed in paint or grease spattered clothes, Richard).
Ten years ago, if I came home on the train at night I would be a little bit apprehensive about that area near the station. But not these days. Having said that, I get lots of overseas visitors staying in my Airbnb pad and I tell them when they come home at night to not walk up the unlit back lanes to the house but stick to the main road. But that is a precaution sensible people in any big city would take.
I lived in Newtown/Erskinville and then Annandale when those suburbs changed. I'm hoping Marrickville goes down the Erko/Newtown path and not the Annandale path - Annandale is a bit too nice. The fact that a tattoo parlour just opened up nearby gives me some heart, as does the occasional news story about a 'bikie associate' or someone like that being arrested in a 'pre dawn raid'.
Scott

I think as Marrickville is only going to go up.

At lot more cleaner and nicer than 10 years ago, many apartments around the main road.

The suburb is gentrifying.

I am positive about the outlook. the location and proximity to city are the major plus to this area.

Taylor

What's wrong in going down the path of being "too nice", Depreciator? Just lacks the rough edge of everyday life?

I'll take 'interesting' over 'nice' anyday. Right now, Marrickville is interesting. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

my 2 cents on this

I agree with someone here who said that these suburbs growth has reached its max potential, if you bought here a few years ago you probably are now enjoying that growth, but from what it seems suburbs that are already highly priced are staying that way and the west is now seeing a lot of growth happening. I know from personal experience as I have been in the market for well over 13 years and came from a family with investor experience.

As for crime, this is everywhere in all the places people have mentioned on here , the only places dare I say where the crime rate is non existent dare i say is (rose bay, double bay, hunters hill , etc) but all these little inner suburbs still have the ghettos and department of housings still, not to mention the gap widening even more and more between the rich and poor.

If I was to choose an area close to inner city , it would have to be Woollahra, or over the bridge (neutral bay , etc)

I know from personal experience as I have been in the market for well over 13 years

13 years is just one cycle. I had a mate who owned a house in Newtown. He sold it in 2000 because he thought it was inconceivable that his little two bedroom semi could possible every be worth more than it was in 2000. The inner west seems to have a run, and then take a breather, and then have another run.

Let me qualify by stating that this is merely a punt, but I'm going to guess that over 2013, Marrickville (in particular, as I've been here for a decade) will see 6-8% CG on units, and similar amounts for the next few years.

I'll revisit this in a year and see how I went.

Let me qualify by stating that this is merely a punt, but I'm going to guess that over 2013, Marrickville (in particular, as I've been here for a decade) will see 6-8% CG on units, and similar amounts for the next few years.

I'll revisit this in a year and see how I went.

I agree with you:D

A house up the street from me sold for $1.065m that weekend. Nice reno and 4 beds, but a small block and no off street parking. The vendor is pretty happy.

Back