Dumped trailer - what are my obligations?

Hi all, i've just found out that a box trailer in the garage at the block of flats i'm renovating doesn't belong to any of the tenants or their friends.

It's a good trailer (worth about $2k new) that tradesmen use and is filled with painting gear. It appears it's been stolen and someone thought they'd leave it in the garage. I can't think of any other explanation.

The cops came around today and couldn't find any identifying marks on it. They told me that if i push it on the nature strip, the council will remove it as it's considered an abandoned "vehicle" by law. I'd rather not do this.

How can i legally claim it without having the owner turn up in a few months time and demand his trailer back?

Capitalist,

If it's registered - you should be able to find out who to through this (via the police) & get them to contact the owner. Even if this has expired it should be pretty easy for the RTA to go through old registrations. You don't need to be told the details (so no privacy issues)

If it can't be tracked this way I think you've employed reasonable effort to find the owner.

The biggest issue is registering the thing - if you can get it registered use the trailer but keep it maintained.

If the owner ever tracks it down, let them have it and forgo the reward :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

a few options for you to consider....

1) Phone the council and find out what they do with impounded vehicles.... generally they auction them off.... see if you can get them to impound the car as an abandoned vehicle and then pay the council to buy the impounded vehicle....maybe somebody would do a dodgy for you... ie the trailer never leaves your verge and you "buy" it as an impounded vehicle. :D

2) Otherwise move it to another location, respray it and if anyone ever comes back then plead ignorance. Maybe check with neighbours as they may have left it in one of the bays to save on parking.

3) If someones stupid enough to leave a trailer (assuming it's not HOT) they deserve to lose it it's like something that can easily be missed. If it's not you its gonna be someone else.

4) Register the trailer and then onsell it to make a quick 2K in the local Peper or classified mag Or Hire it out to the tennants & others as a hire trailer - make some cash from it :)

5) Check for trailer for car dna aka CAR DOTS the micro paint with the vehicles ID maybe that will help you out.

6) INVOKE SALVAGE RIGHTS!!!! as they say finders keepers... Isn't possesion 9/10 the law.... :confused:

Cheers keg75

p.s. Tried to come up with a couple of tongue in cheek suggestions for you, but they may help you decide a little as acey said you've tried your best. You may as well use it, whilst you can. :)

p.s.s. I take it from your Post your TOO honest just like me :) . Most people would have done number 2) and said nothing about it ;)

Back