It doesn't pay to give tenants without references a chance.

If you had bothered to read past the first post you would see that there wasn't any stressing, premature or otherwise, until my OH copped a mouthful of abuse. My point was, that's the thanks you get for taking a chance and giving a young couple with no rental history a go. I'm sure they are grateful, they have always appeared so, but someone should blow up bloody mothers.

Hehehe.. I love this.
If you had bothered to read MY post you would see that I did read your 1st post.
And in your post I did see stressing - that's what interpretation is all about.
But hey, I guess you were just having a whinge.
Sounds like you're a woman so I guess it's allowed.

Fokas, I did read your post and if you had read mine (quoted above) you would have noticed I also said "If you had bothered to read past my first post". Obviously it's interpretation at work again. Gotta look out for that, it's not alway correct as you pointed out with the suggestion that Mum may have been just there baby sitting. Turns out you were wrong about that too. ;)

Ok, so the PM has been up there and the young man actually invited her inside to prove that all was well. The bits and pieces of cars had been cleaned up (as I thought they would be) but the unregistered cars and caravans and boat were still there. The mother and father were in fact living there. They were sleeping in one of the caravans but to all intents and purposes were living in the house. The cars out the back belonged to a friend and the tenants were allowing him to store stuff there.

So the PM asked what we wanted to do about it. They are in breach of at least five issues on the lease so could be evicted. We have decided we want the parents out and the caravan they are living in removed. The unregistered cars have to be removed and the other caravan and boat moved to the back yard. More or less we want the front yard to look neat and tidy like it was when they moved in, and like it says on the rental agreement is expected. If all that is done and it stays like that the young couple can stay. If we drive past and see it happening again then they will be out.

The silly thing is that if the woman had responded to the question honestly and without abuse (the language would make a sailor blush) we would probably have allowed the parents to stay there, as long as they were listed on the lease. But by being so abusive she shot herself in the foot. We just don't need that kind of hassle. Turns out the PM knew the parents were staying there at the very beginning of the lease but was told they would be leaving in two weeks to go back home.

We may lose the kids now because Mum and Dad were probably helping with the rent and they may not be able to afford it on their own, but we are going to give them another chance. He was so helpful allowing the PM in that I am left wondering if tonight he is thanking us for banishing the mother-in-law from hell. So this thread may turn into watch this space, when the parents are given their marching orders. Something tells me she won't go quietly.

I Have not read all the posts. But been there over the years. Toughed up since then. :cool:
THESE BOGONS WILL & DO NOT GET ANY BETTER.
You are giving them a Air Conditioner and they treat you like POOO.
You are not the Housing Commission :mad:
Get insurance up to date.
Then issue a notice to quit/vacate whatever.
Do any work required.
Get a decent property manager and move forward.
These people will just demand everything and give you sleepless nights and no income:eek:

Anyone seen the movie Duplex?

You are basically in Business.
You own the property. have the debt and bills . NOT the agent or tenant:(
All this will effect you & your own families life.
Time to get tuff and think of yourself.

These types know how to leach a rock and cry.

In 6 mths they will be behind 5 months in rent.
Shoot through overnight.
Leave car bodies, aspestos and a house ready to bulldoze.

Use the options available NOW. And politely P--ss them off before bad goes to worse.

Cee Gee you hit the nail on the head. That's what got my back up. They rented the place only four months ago and already are asking for extras and my OH actually provides it (against my wishes I might add) and gets abused for his trouble. The father was trying to shut the harridan up but she was too stupid to see the damage she was doing. I tend to agree with you the whole lot of them should be gone but I was outvoted. My OH and the PM between them decided to give the kids another chance.

Another interesting thing - in general conversation, just speculating again, I mentioned to my OH that I wondered if the PM might have known these kids before they went into the house given that she was asking for them to get another chance and had recommended them over the other applicants even though they had no previous rental history. He said that she knew a sister or something who had rented another place through her. Uummhh.

I actually think it's a bad idea to let them stay. You can't afford to give anymore chances as they will most likely get worse after this time.
I had the same experience and did not renew the lease after a number of stuffups (eg. 5 additional people living in the house, huge water usage time and time again etc...)
No more second chances I say.

I just leased out my place to a couple without a reference from a real estate agent they only had one from a private landlord that stated they had always paid rent on time and left the place in excellant condition.

The PM was reluctant to lease the property to them because they were from NZ which I found kind of funny to hear. She said to me "you know those NZ people can get a bit aggressive at times"

I dont really care as long as they pay the rent on time every month, i have insurance and pay a little extra so I only have to pay a $100 excess if they trash the place and if they do the bond and insurance company will pay for the damages. The last people that rented the place were good local people who never paid there rent on time and when they moved out i had to get them back twice to clean up.

Back